PDA

View Full Version : How cool is social media?

Vintagedeputy
08-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Today, I received my 1995-97 Louisville Slugger Mark Sweeney bat that I had purchased and had been waiting for. Its got some nice ball transfer marks, grain separation, checking, black and red bat rack marks, etc. Definitely game used....

Anyway, I tweeted a pic to Mark Sweeney today, and within a couple of minutes he liked my tweet and he even replied! He said that the bat was from 1996!

Social media can be so cool! Last week I was able to email back and forth with a former NFL QB, and now this....

Vintagedeputy
08-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Sorry for the large size.

sox83cubs84
08-02-2017, 10:00 PM
It's worked for me, too. I'm Facebook friends with ex-Royals IF Greg Pryor, and I was able to confirm that a cap I was examining was his, as the team and style could have been worn by either him or the player that followed him with #4. He even asked if the cap was for sale. It wasn't mine, but I gave him the contact info for the auction house who owned it.

Dave Miedema

Jim65
08-03-2017, 04:13 AM
It is great sometimes. I bought this jersey from a former NJ Devils equipment manager and was able to get Ken Daneyko to confirm through Twitter that it was his practice jersey from his first NHL training camp.

mad87man
08-03-2017, 04:57 PM
I won a jersey from NFL auctions and posted pics of it on here and actually had the player message me on here asking if i still had it. I got the PM like 2 years later and saw it. I searched him out on FB and messaged him and he eventually after like a year of him not being on there messaged me back asking if i would sell it to him. I hated to let that one go but i know he was just on the practice squad/ pre season roster and let it go knowing it meant more to him than me.

sportsnbikes
08-17-2017, 03:26 AM
I bought a 69 Royals jersey of Dick Drago and he responded to me on Twitter about it. He seemed shocked to see it.

mook03005
08-18-2017, 01:34 AM
I had a brief chat with Billy sample on facebook about a jersey I own of his, its a 1979 rangers powder blue GU jersey. Hes a cool guy, He talked to me about his new filmmaking career!

gobills123
08-21-2017, 03:34 PM
It is great sometimes. I bought this jersey from a former NJ Devils equipment manager and was able to get Ken Daneyko to confirm through Twitter that it was his practice jersey from his first NHL training camp.

THIS jersey is crazy to me. Dont get me wrong, i dont know specs of NHL jerseys as Im a NFL guy. I dont mean this as insulting as thats an awesome piece... but im just thinking 'man, i cant even count the amount of times ive seen jerseys from the 80s like this at thrift stores with #s just like that on the back that I assumed were just beer league teams.' Which, I'm sure they were. My point I guess is other than it potentially being much heavier, I could see that on a thrift store rack and other than it being cool for the xmas colors - id never have guess it could/would be a legit nhl practice gamer. Nice shirt!

Jim65
08-22-2017, 05:01 AM
THIS jersey is crazy to me. Dont get me wrong, i dont know specs of NHL jerseys as Im a NFL guy. I dont mean this as insulting as thats an awesome piece... but im just thinking 'man, i cant even count the amount of times ive seen jerseys from the 80s like this at thrift stores with #s just like that on the back that I assumed were just beer league teams.' Which, I'm sure they were. My point I guess is other than it potentially being much heavier, I could see that on a thrift store rack and other than it being cool for the xmas colors - id never have guess it could/would be a legit nhl practice gamer. Nice shirt!

This jersey is very light weight like a cheap retail, which made me suspicious, even with the COA from equipment manager and positive ID from Daneyko himself. I called a friend who is the biggest Devils collector I know, he bought about a hundred practice jerseys from the early to mid 1980`s directly from the team when they moved to the new arena and his practice jerseys matched mine exactly for weight, heat-pressed crest, iron on numbering and tagging. So yeah, this is definately something that if were on a thrift store rack, would fool a lot of people. :)