PDA

View Full Version : Is this not overpriced?

Juicyfruit66
05-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Prices seem a bit crazy....am i wrong?

Buccaneer Madden
05-27-2017, 10:34 AM
It seems a LOT crazy. YIKES.

GoCrazyFolks76
05-27-2017, 11:33 AM
Considering his signed baseballs with good LOA's typically sell for $250+ on eBay, I don't think it's that far off.

He's not somebody you'll see on the card show circuit. He probably does one private signing a year. And unfortunately, considering he's 89, he probably won't be around for too many more years. i.e. He's the very definition of a tough autograph.

Juicyfruit66
05-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Yeah i saw that on ebay....prices were crazy inflated there too. And why wont he sign microphones? Did his agent have him sign a bunch to sell in a few years after he passes? He's a legend but in a way, i expected a legend that old to remember what baseball was about and not what it's become. 400$ bobble heads.....

GoCrazyFolks76
05-27-2017, 12:19 PM
He's a legend but in a way, i expected a legend that old to remember what baseball was about and not what it's become. 400$ bobble heads.....

So he should undercut his fair market value so that dealers can load up on his autographs and flip them? Because you know as well as I do that if he charged $100, half of the autographs he signed at this private signing will be on the market 2 days later for triple that price.

I've met Mr. Scully a number of times back when he was still announcing road games and he was always very gracious to stop and chat about baseball and sign anything you asked him to.

gorilla777
05-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Yeah i saw that on ebay....prices were crazy inflated there too. And why wont he sign microphones? Did his agent have him sign a bunch to sell in a few years after he passes? He's a legend but in a way, i expected a legend that old to remember what baseball was about and not what it's become. 400$ bobble heads.....

Please, he epitomizes class and not what you are implying

seanbaseball
05-27-2017, 03:15 PM
If u dont like the price im pretty sure u arent required to buy :confused:

whoman
05-27-2017, 08:59 PM
It sure beats Fanatics price.

Masimen
05-27-2017, 09:31 PM
It never gets old. So and so is charging too much for his autograph. Like all of us, the man has a right to decide what amount of money it takes to get him to leave the house. At 89, I have to assume the number is higher than it was 10-15 years ago, as is the demand for his signature. I work for a couple people that have a number they must hit to leave the house and their families. By most standards, it is a large number. Many times, I get a call inquiring about their services and people are shocked at the number and question it. However, more often than not, when I get that call the person on the other end is well aware and is more than happy to pony up the dough. I am guessing Vin Scully and his representatives have a pretty good grip on the value of his time as well as the market for his signature. Thus the price. Some will balk, but more often than not, people who desire will pay up.

Phil316
05-28-2017, 02:54 AM
Vin Scully cashing in on the hype. Good for him ;)

Buccaneer Madden
05-28-2017, 10:03 AM
I have no problem with him asking whatever he wants but there are HOF players asking 1/4 of that... just seems like a lot for a broadcaster to me.

sox83cubs84
05-28-2017, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't pay it myself, but we are (once again) in a free market society, and he and his reps have the right to ask it. Personally, I think Vin is one of the classiest and best baseball announcers in history.

Dave Miedema

Juicyfruit66
05-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Im not sure how people are mistaking me questionning his huge asking price to trashing him....it feels like you can't have an opinion unless you agree with the majority in 2017. And the microphone ban was a legit question.....no one else finds it odd he put a clause in there? I'm just trying to figure out why he'd ban a specific object like that. More power to him if he can get thousands for his grandkids, but his prices totally warrant a debate on the inflated hobby i'd say. But in 2017 i guess it makes me a bully....im a price bully :)

STLHAMMER32
05-28-2017, 11:03 PM
Im not sure how people are mistaking me questionning his huge asking price to trashing him....it feels like you can't have an opinion unless you agree with the majority in 2017. And the microphone ban was a legit question.....no one else finds it odd he put a clause in there? I'm just trying to figure out why he'd ban a specific object like that. More power to him if he can get thousands for his grandkids, but his prices totally warrant a debate on the inflated hobby i'd say. But in 2017 i guess it makes me a bully....im a price bully :)

A simple search would have shown that it's the market price, instead it was asked on the forum as a discussion and you received your response. Sometimes celebrities have agreements with companies to have exclusive rights to certain items being signed so that they can drive the demand and have control over quantity available. Vin is a class act and his fans are from a market that generally have high costs of living and inflation on most items...this is far from shocking.

Juicyfruit66
05-29-2017, 03:38 AM
That was my point, i asked opinions on pricing but got mostly replies about him being a class act.....i don't think i ever questionned his morals or classiness by questionning the rate of his autographs. Almost as if it's offensive to question 400$ signed bobble heads. I will never question the prices of saintky vin scully again.

STLHAMMER32
05-29-2017, 07:44 AM
That was my point, i asked opinions on pricing but got mostly replies about him being a class act.....i don't think i ever questionned his morals or classiness by questionning the rate of his autographs. Almost as if it's offensive to question 400$ signed bobble heads. I will never question the prices of saintky vin scully again.

I guess you got to see first hand then why those prices can be asked and ultimately paid for.

sox83cubs84
05-29-2017, 09:51 PM
A simple search would have shown that it's the market price, instead it was asked on the forum as a discussion and you received your response. Sometimes celebrities have agreements with companies to have exclusive rights to certain items being signed so that they can drive the demand and have control over quantity available. Vin is a class act and his fans are from a market that generally have high costs of living and inflation on most items...this is far from shocking.

Very true. When he was a Braves coach, I asked Terry Pendleton to sign a baseball for me. He was very willing, but when I asked him to add a notation for his NL MVP season, he politely declined, saying he was under contract to not do that except for one autograph dealer.

Dave Miedema

Nnunnari
05-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Check out the game used bats on that website.

Juicyfruit66
05-30-2017, 02:00 PM
Check out the game used bats on that website.

24000$ on a bat is totally reasonable, who needs a downpayment on a house or a car? Just get a bat from this reasonably priced site.

Juicyfruit66
05-30-2017, 02:01 PM
The 27 cents made me smile, clever touch