PDA

View Full Version : Bucs helmet on ebay

Bawstin45
05-16-2017, 02:15 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112408789623
Was thinking of bidding on this, wondering how it looks to you guys? Was concerned that there's no NFL sticker, but it has the flag. I'm not an expert by any means and am looking for your input.
Thanks,
MIKE

tom1315
05-16-2017, 05:53 AM
Morning, looks very clean with little to no wear on the helmet exterior itself or the facemark. The website www.theclassicstuff.com has a genuine one on page 4 for a punter...that I've looked at several times - just not the right facemark worn by the punter the helmet is subscribed to from my homework. Notice the three stripes are one piece? The eBay lid seems to be three pieces.

Older TB lids typically didn't have the US flag until 9.11 occurred or later. Looking at pics on Getty Images of games when they wore this style helmet too would help.

If you search on this site you'll find some genuine gamers to compare this eBay lid to.

I'm not seeing enough to say I'd purchase it as a worn gamer.

I'd suggest more questions re the helmet too but the stripes and lack of wear dismiss it for me.

Tom

Bawstin45
05-16-2017, 08:28 AM
Tom,
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to have the seller see if there's a date inside so I can try and find any others with the flag, I know the NFL did use the flag during desert storm I believe. It does look really clean, seller says its from a lady that worked for the team, maybe it's just game issued? I am definitely looking for a bucs gamer but I may pass on this one.
Thanks again,
MIKE

wfl1974
05-16-2017, 05:07 PM
My guess is that this is a replica...perhaps a Proline retail? The warning decals don't appear to be the correct ones, and I would agree with the earlier post regarding the 3 piece stripes. I believe that the Bucs used a one-piece for that particular era, which is the late 80's to early 90's based on the mask. I'm not going to say that they Bucs never used that style of facemask, which is a Riddell mask, in a game, as I'm not a Bucs collector, but I have never seen this style used by them. I most game used NFL helmets that I own or have seen didn't all have the size decal on the exterior, usually just on the inside. Just my 2 cents.

helmets
05-16-2017, 05:37 PM
Helmet is an early 90's Riddell retail helmet. I have had several like this. They made them using VSR-Y (youth) shells - which this looks to be, as well as PAC44 Youth shells that were left over from the 80's. Occasionally they used an adult helmet. I have had a few of them over the years that I have sold. I had a Seahawks at one time that I sold and it was then sold as a Largent gamer. Nice.

The Flag was for the 1990 season - which works for this era. In 1991 they went to the NFL shield - so the two together were not on a helmet until 2011.

The mask is a Riddell "transitional" mask - that were actually used by some NFL teams for a very short time period. As for the size sticker on the outside of the helmet - seems ok. Lots of teams kept them on their helmets during this period - as they came from the factory that way. Look at Eagles gamers from this period or Packers - many or most had the size sticker on the outside.

What does it for me on Bucs helmets - in addition to the stripes that was mentioned a couple times - is the color of the logo. On gamers, the Buc had more of a "normal" lighter skin tone. On helmets made up - often times passing for gamers in auctions or websites, the Buc is much "tanner" as if he fell asleep on an air mattress in Tampa Bay. Easy to spot once you know the difference. It was a tone that the decal companies have had trouble copying over the years - or perhaps they do it on purpose to distinguish the difference.

helmets
05-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Here is the difference. You tell me which two are gamers and which two are not.

Another great way is by looking at the shade of the orange on the mask. The Riddell retail is regular burnt orange - while the Bucs used the creamsicle lighter orange masks. The lighter orange is a tough color to come by as it was a special order color with a minimum order of 36 from Schutt. Hence decal slapping helmet builders never put the correct color mask on the Bucs helmets.

So again, which two do you think are gamers and which two are not?

Buccaneer Madden
05-16-2017, 08:38 PM
Glad I stumbled in here. Nice to see people talking about my Bucs. :) And I don't think I have ever seen a legit helmet for any team have a size sticker on it (of course my knowledge is limited.) I think this one has been on ebay a few times in the past and although I am looking for a legit Bucco Bruce helmet I passed on this one.

Bawstin45
05-16-2017, 09:39 PM
Thank you to everyone who responded and educated me. I knew something did not look right. I learned a lot from this and now have a better idea of what to look for going forward.
MIKE

helmets
05-24-2017, 06:25 AM
Here is one just listed on ebay that is identical to the Bucs. In one of the photos you can see the VSR-Y label.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182588894357?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

helmets
05-26-2017, 07:26 PM
And another
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NFL-Riddell-Full-Size-SAN-FRANCISCO-49ers-AUTHENTIC-Football-Helmet-used-/322531288636?hash=item4b185ce63c:g:5h0AAOSwYvFZKLv D