PDA

View Full Version : Size of Tim Duncan Reebok game used jersey

Bench warmer
05-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Hi folks,
recently I came across Duncan Spurs what is supposed to be a game used jersey from 2005-06 season.

http://i63.tinypic.com/6yo3o3.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2i222yd.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2hf44gi.jpg

Size tag says 56+4". I googled Duncan gamers from the same season to compare and the all three I managed to find (two whites and one black) were size 54+4".
I'm not an expert but the details of this particular one look good to me. I'd try to get a few close up pics in addition.
Thus I'm curious:
1) Did Duncan wear two different sizes in the same season (2005-06)?
As far as I know, some players used to do that (e.g. LBJ in his rookie season if I'm not wrong).
2) Did Reebok retail pro cuts back then?
If positive, how to spot the difference between pro cut and issued/used? Just by jock tag?
3) Is there any thread (either on this board or elsewhere) to check superstar players jersey sizes season by season?

Tnx folks.

shermdawurm
05-12-2017, 07:14 PM
I don't know about the size difference but the jersey does look atleast team issued to me. With that said, its possible that this could have been a blank team issued jersey that was customized to become a Tim Duncan jersey. Heres a recent thread talking about discrepancies regarding 2001-02 Spurs jerseys.
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=69634&highlight=spurs

I'm not familiar with Spurs jerseys but I know that the Sonics would write the player's jersey # and last name on their tags for their game worn reebok jerseys (2001-2008).

sox83cubs84
05-12-2017, 11:18 PM
With some of the Spurs jerseys I have examined, I noticed non-team issued jerseys that carried proper tagging and sometimes were sized correctly, but the color scheme of the U/spur logo on the front was off. I'd check that against Getty or another photo site to examine that point of possible concern.

Dave Miedema

Bench warmer
05-13-2017, 03:34 PM
I don't know about the size difference but the jersey does look atleast team issued to me. With that said, its possible that this could have been a blank team issued jersey that was customized to become a Tim Duncan jersey. Heres a recent thread talking about discrepancies regarding 2001-02 Spurs jerseys.
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=69634&highlight=spurs

I'm not familiar with Spurs jerseys but I know that the Sonics would write the player's jersey # and last name on their tags for their game worn reebok jerseys (2001-2008).

I was told that more arched back name should suggest that it's a pro cut and not issued/worn jersey.
Not sure if Reebok retailed pro cuts back then but they likely.
By examining gettyimages of Duncan in 2005-06, I found out that back name was less arched and placed closer to number 21.
Also it could be what you said, a legit blank issued jersey that was customized into DUNCAN.
Or it could be that Duncan actually tried 56+4 at the beginning of the season and decided to go with 54+4 later on (less possible but...).
But how to make sure which of these three possibilities is true? :)

With some of the Spurs jerseys I have examined, I noticed non-team issued jerseys that carried proper tagging and sometimes were sized correctly, but the color scheme of the U/spur logo on the front was off. I'd check that against Getty or another photo site to examine that point of possible concern.

Dave Miedema

I get what you mean but that's not the case with this one. It's definitely legit. The question is if it's game issued, pro cut or customized blank game issued.

shermdawurm
05-13-2017, 07:52 PM
I was told that more arched back name should suggest that it's a pro cut and not issued/worn jersey.
Not sure if Reebok retailed pro cuts back then but they likely.
By examining gettyimages of Duncan in 2005-06, I found out that back name was less arched and placed closer to number 21.
Also it could be what you said, a legit blank issued jersey that was customized into DUNCAN.
Or it could be that Duncan actually tried 56+4 at the beginning of the season and decided to go with 54+4 later on (less possible but...).
But how to make sure which of these three possibilities is true? :)

With that said, its probably a pro cut. It could have started as a blank team issued jersey that was later customized by some one else but I also don't know how we could tell. A game-issued piece by the Spurs should have the same less arched NOB as the real gamers. Of course there are exceptions to everything. I guess the only way to prove it is a game would be to photomatch it. But with the NOB being high and too arched as well as the wrong size from his known gamers that year, I think we can cross it out as a gamer.

Bench warmer
05-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Yeah, for sure not game worn, likely not issued either.

sox83cubs84
05-18-2017, 11:16 PM
Now that it's been mentioned, I don't ever recall seeing a size 56 Duncan gamer before. That makes me less than enthusiastic about this one.

Dave M.