PDA

View Full Version : Game issued vs game used

gilbey
05-10-2017, 06:56 PM
If a player dresses for a game and doesn't play is his jersey still considered game used?

LarryWalkerFan
05-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Since that's the MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL standard for game used authentication, most sellers would say yes. Personally, I try to only purchase items that were actually used in the game.

gilbey
05-10-2017, 07:18 PM
I agree there is a seller that claims the same. Thanks for the reply.

Jags Fan Dan
05-10-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm not crazy about calling something game used if it wasn't used in a game. At the risk of complicating things further, I would rather call it "player worn", which for this purpose gives us a category between game used and issued.

BarryMeisel
05-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Hi everybody,

MeiGray uses a specific designation in these cases for our authenticated NHL and NBA jerseys. We denote that a jersey is "Game-Worn, Did Not Play, for NBA jerseys.

In NHL, it only happens with goalies, and in that case we say Game-Worn, Backup only.

In both cases, jerseys do get use in warmups.

In hockey, a player can take warmup and then not be in lineup. If that happens and jersey is never worn in a game, we call it Warmup-worn.

Hope this helps,

Barry

TwinLakesPark
05-11-2017, 09:09 AM
If a player dresses for a game and doesn't play is his jersey still considered game used?

The MLB Authentication Program considers a jersey "Game Used" if the player has it on their body and is on the active roster for the game. Therefore if a pitcher has a jersey on and does not pitch in the game, the program will still label it as "Game Used".

gilbey
05-11-2017, 09:17 AM
I saw Steiner selling game used jerseys for a game yet to be played (Jeter retirement), and when I emailed them that is what they told me also.

memorabiliaunlimited
05-11-2017, 01:42 PM
I saw Steiner selling game used jerseys for a game yet to be played (Jeter retirement), and when I emailed them that is what they told me also.

i was told years ago that steiner just follows whatever MLB authenticated the item as, regardless of how much use the item has, in order to avoid any issues down the road. if MLB says issued, then the steiner letter will as well.