PDA

View Full Version : The latest memorabilia sports cards blunder

shermdawurm
04-26-2017, 02:34 PM
I saw this thread on blowoutcards a few days ago. A panini card containing 4 supposed pieces of game worn laundry tags of Peyton manning, Dan Marino, John Elway and Tom Brady was called out by a collector saying the Marino and the Elway pieces could not be game worn as they were from retail Mitchell and Ness replica jerseys. Here's a link to the thread containing a photo of the card. http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/1107534-national-treasures-manning-brady-marino-elway-1-1-something-looks-very-wrong.html. Panini has since issued an apology for their latest mistake. If they issued this crap in their high end product, which costs over $1000 per box, who knows what they put in their lower end products. And what's gonna happen to the rest of those Mitchell and ness replica jerseys? Those are going to and probably already have been put into cards. This is the exact reason I switched from collecting cards to full gamers. With some research, provenance, documentation and photo matching, I can feelconfident in my game worn/used memorabilia and fully enjoy them. Plus I love having the whole gamer instead of some small, dinky piece of questionable memorabilia.

jake33
04-26-2017, 03:08 PM
I've said this before.... someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against the card companies. There is ZERO accountability from them for putting this product on the market. With any piece of memorabilia confirmed by a card company as not legit, it reasonably puts into question the integrity every product from that company with worn or used memorabilia.

shermdawurm
04-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Heres the image of the card.

GoCrazyFolks76
04-29-2017, 12:57 PM
The thing that blows my mind is that some of these "game used cards" cost MORE than just buying a full game used jersey that has a good LOA and may even be photomatched.

Seriously, WTF are these people thinking?

Buccaneer Madden
04-29-2017, 07:54 PM
When they first came out I thought jersey / bat / whatever cards were really cool and I even bought an Eddie Murray bat card. Then after I got a real Eddie Murray bat I realized how crappy and worthless those cards were.

TheDome
04-29-2017, 08:50 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PLrgnqJ4Sqk/Td2wBM0D61I/AAAAAAAACaA/61BjatmL0zs/s1600/xcqgn.jpg http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/195694/u3alj.jpg

This is how they get away with it. They make players wear 20 jerseys at a time and then call them "worn".

sox83cubs84
04-29-2017, 10:02 PM
It's pathetic just how duped some of these collectors are about game used swatch cards. After a visit to an area card shop, I shared the bus stop with 2 teens who were giddy with excitement about a game used card one had just pulled from an unopened pack. Having seen me in the shop, the owner decided to brag to me about his find. When I told him what I thought of game used cards, he and his friend looked at me like they were University of California-Berkeley protesters and I was a Trump supporter. It didn't bother me in the least.

Dave Miedema

NEFAN
05-10-2017, 06:13 AM
I made the move from cards to gamers for the same reason

memorabiliaunlimited
05-10-2017, 07:48 AM
it gets even better...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/panini-cards-some-falcons-takkarist-mckinley-cards-not-signed-mckinley/k7zTdT3cl8hbK6LVEctArL/

way to go panini.

corsairs25
05-10-2017, 08:42 AM
I'd rather have them cut up retail jerseys than actual ones.

BirdsOnBat
05-10-2017, 09:28 AM
As much as I am not a fan of the practice, I still wouldn't want outright fakes to be included on these cards. One game wonders of modern players with little/no use would be fine by me. Cutting up vintage stuff is difficult.

Some years back my grail item came up for auction. I went back and forth with another bidder on it and finally I gave up. I've been collecting since the 90's and the same stuff comes around again all the time when collectors end up changing a focus or something. Unfortunately, the following year I saw the item end up cut up and placed on a trading card and I've never seen another come up for sale since. The vintage 1/1 type stuff is worrisome.

GoCrazyFolks76
05-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Some years back my grail item came up for auction. I went back and forth with another bidder on it and finally I gave up. I've been collecting since the 90's and the same stuff comes around again all the time when collectors end up changing a focus or something. Unfortunately, the following year I saw the item end up cut up and placed on a trading card and I've never seen another come up for sale since. The vintage 1/1 type stuff is worrisome.

Just out of curiosity, what was the grail item?

shermdawurm
05-10-2017, 02:31 PM

To lose out on a holy grail piece in auction and then to later find out that its gone forever. Simply tragic.

shermdawurm
05-10-2017, 06:00 PM
When they first came out I thought jersey / bat / whatever cards were really cool and I even bought an Eddie Murray bat card. Then after I got a real Eddie Murray bat I realized how crappy and worthless those cards were.

I thought jersey and patch cards were so cool when I first started. I could own a piece of jersey worn by my favorite players? I was fascinated especially by 1/1 logoman and logo shield cards that sold for a lot back then. But now, panini is mass producing the heck out of these 1/1 patch cards that they often sell for way under $100 now and regular jersey cards are pretty much worthless now unless it's a star player. Now I own legit complete game worn jerseys that I picked up for less then what 1/1 patch cards used to sell for.

Briggsd719
05-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Item is back up on eBay again. From same seller.