PDA

View Full Version : Value of spring training game used items?

centauri
03-26-2017, 07:18 PM
I have an item on my radar - I believe it to be used in spring training action by a player not yet in MLB. The player later became a star. How much of a discount for use in an exhibition vs. regular season game?

LarryWalkerFan
03-26-2017, 07:35 PM
It depends, I suppose.

Discounts are often placed upon MiLB items, so I would think that a similar discount would be applied to Spring Training items.

I think (from lowest to highest), it works like this:

Exhibition Event
Exhibition Game
Minor League Game
Spring Training
Minor League All Star Game
Regular Season
World Series

I'm sure the order changes for each person, but the general point is that MLB generally is worth more than an equivalent MiLB item.

dcgreg25
03-31-2017, 10:05 AM
There is a substantial gap between Spring Training and regular season. Personally, I would estimate the value difference to be around 50% or more.

The problem is that for a player that is not yet in MLB, the price for a Spring Training jersey is likely to be higher when it comes up for sale as it represents the most attractive item for that player in the hobby at that point. Once he gets into the majors, it moves down as MLB jerseys for the player come into the hobby making it less and less valuable until it reaches a reasonable floor for a veteran ST jersey.