PDA

View Full Version : Ball with Bat Ink Transfer

esigs
03-16-2017, 07:34 PM
I have seen several bats with ink transfer from the ball, but it seems that the reverse is less common. Is this true or is it just people don't post pictures of balls with bat ink on them? Maybe because many players use dark bats with white lettering (which would not be visible on a ball) is one reason why this is not as common?

Last Friday I snagged a foul ball during USA vs. Colombia for the World Baseball Classic. It was the bottom of the 6th inning, and Daniel Murphy fouled a Jose Quintana pitch. Murphy was using a natural color bat with black lettering, and the back of his barrel had the MLB batterman logo along with the word "PRIME" and the word got transferred on the ball.

The top left picture shows Murphy's bat back barrel; the top right picture shows a close up of what the wording looks like on another bat. The bottom left picture shows the ink transfer in normal view, while the bottom right shows a mirror image, so you can more easily see the letters.

I also found a picture on Getty Images that could be the moment just before Murphy hit the ball; the wording on the barrel is visible on the picture.

Do you have balls with bat ink transfers? I recall seeing one posted on GUU by Metsbats, a 2015 WS ball with Daniel Murphy's name from the bat transferred on the ball.

dplettn
03-16-2017, 07:53 PM
I've seen plenty of paint transfer, but this one is crazy cool.

metsbats
03-16-2017, 08:52 PM
That ball was the homerun ball that Murphy hit for his 1st postseason homer off Kershaw in LA in game 1 of the NLDS. It landed in the Mets bullpen and was posted by the Mets online. I actually asked the Mets if they had the ball as I wanted to buy it because I have the bat he used to hit the homer but they claim MLB has it.

TBM
03-16-2017, 10:55 PM
James,
Gratz on getting that great ball. I saw one the Royals Authentic's had on auction that had the MLB logo from a bat get transferred to the ball. It was really cool but I did not win it.

metsbats
03-17-2017, 05:43 AM
Regarding your question, I think it all depends on how a player holds the bat. Most hold the bat with the label facing them so the ball will make contact with the bat either on the left or right side of the barrel depending on whether the batter is right or left handed. If the player strays from tradition like Murphy does, the chances of getting a bat stamp transfer is greater.

ballhawknet
03-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Harold Baines :

salukidave
03-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Any interest in selling the Baines ball?

Dave
salukidave@comcast.net