PDA

View Full Version : Game Worn NFL Helmets - 1 per season...right?

Preston
03-11-2017, 11:59 PM
Hey guys,

So as a (somewhat) newer collector of game worn football helmets, it is [my understanding] that players are supposed to only wear one helmet per season (which is the primary reason team are not allowed to wear helmets to match throwback uniforms anymore). Is this correct?

The reason I ask........is because I am considering purchasing a game worn helmet from Fanatics of a player I've gotten to know. All of the Jaguars players in November have the military ribbon on the helmet like the Fanatics helmet, however all of the players in December have their helmets like my player in December (see right side of pic).

This makes me believe and wonder that some players (or teams) are choosing to use two helmets.

fen1kuk
03-12-2017, 01:35 AM
I thought that was the case, until i saw someone selling both a regular helmet and color rush variation for Giants punter Brad Wing. Both were signed by the player as being his 2016 helmets.

Since the rules were introduced, damage/cracks are the main reason I've seen for changes of helmet mid season.

perlman9
03-12-2017, 10:29 AM
Also, if you watch the Seahawks auction, they seem to have helmets listed for specific time frames which leads me to believe they wear multiple helmets per season.

snick33
03-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Im sure this depends on the team. But I know the Steelers only replace a helmet if there is damage to the one in use. Then start fresh the next season

mad87man
03-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Think the Jets wear 3 or 4 per year. I don't get how the rule works. Maybe they can't change the type or kind of helmet they wear? i don't really know.

Vikingshelmetguy
03-12-2017, 11:28 PM
I know in recent years the Vikings players have often had two helmets per player in a season--one primary and one back up. And, I'm certain some Vikings players in recent years have worn at least 2 to 3 helmets per player within a a season. In fact, I have seen players switch mid-season from a Riddell to Schutt, or from one type of Schutt helmet to another, or from one type of Riddell helmet to another type of Riddell helmet. Also, players sometimes change mask styles mid-year, and also decals and stickers are often removed, added or exchanged during the season. When a helmet decal gets hacked up, they often will re-apply a new one. Or they'll add a decal to the back of the helmet, such as the pink ribbon during the cancer awareness month where the NFL players wear pink. Back in the 70's, 80's and 90's, I think they only used a single helmet per season, but in modern times the players have more than one helmet per season.

Vikingshelmetguy
03-12-2017, 11:44 PM
After further research, here is a re-write of my previous post: I know a bit about Vikings helmets, and I am aware that Vikings players have one primary and one back up (in case the primary breaks). I'm certain around 2009-2012 some Vikings players wore at least 2 to 4 helmets per player within a a season (the Vikings wore both regular and throw-back helmets for a few seasons). In fact, I have seen players switch mid-season from a Riddell to Schutt, or from one type of Schutt helmet to another, or from one type of Riddell helmet to another type of Riddell helmet (Adrian Peterson did this very recently). But I have also read that three years ago, the NFL established a policy that required every player in the league to wear just one helmet per season. The rule came after it was communicated to the league that changing helmet shells during the season may leave players more susceptible to head injuries (in 2013, the Head, Neck and Spine Committee and the Player Safety Advisory Panel recommended that players no longer wear different helmets during the season to accompany a different jersey design beyond the home and away uniforms). But the NFL has allowed the outside of the helmet to be modified by removing or replacing decals, as long as it does not affect the integrity of the helmet. So when a helmet decal gets hacked up, they often will re-apply a new one. Or they'll add a temporary decal to the back of the helmet, such as the pink ribbon during the cancer awareness month where the NFL players wear pink (which might explain the decal differences in the helmets you posted photos of).

War Helmets
04-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Hey Vikings helmet guy could you send me an email - warrior4caverns@aol.com thanks John

sjsinohio
06-30-2017, 05:23 AM
Hello just listed this game used Bengals helmet!
Worn by All Pro Sam Adams!
Here is the ebay link! Check it out
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Used-Ri...e=STRK:MESE:IT