PDA

View Full Version : Suggested rule changes

coxfan
02-17-2017, 11:23 AM
I'd be interested in members's thoughts on changes in rules, such as the following:

1) Eliminate the uncaught third-strike rule in baseball. I saw a game in which the umpire called "ball two" on a 1-2 pitch that was dropped by the catcher. But the catcher appealed, and the base umpire ruled the batter'd swung. So suddently "ball two" became a dropped strike three, but the the batter's still standing at home and not running because it was first called a ball. Another version of this: suppose it was a 3-2 pitch. The batter starts strolling toward first on the dropped "ball four" pitch when the base umpire changes it to a swinging strike three. Suddenly the batter finds himself thrown out at first because he wasn't running.

The uncaught third strike rule goes back at least to 1845. But baseball was a very different game then. Pitchers had to "pitch" the ball underhanded ( like pitching a horseshoe) and slow. There were no called strikes or foul strikes. So the uncaught third-strike rule was clearly meant solely as a consolation for weak amateurs who couldn't hit even a softly tossed underhand throw. So why is this anachronistic rule still on the books, when baseball is a far different game?

2) Eliminate the lengthy provision on batters batting out of turn. In my sixty years of watching baseball, I've seen this rule invoked maybe twice. Just leave it up to the umpire to send the batter back, just as he would if a player already removed from the game came up, and save a lot of wasted rulebook space.

3) Develop some tie-break if games go past the 13th-inning. After that, the game's a freakish marathon that ruins pitching arms.

4) Create some sort of ten-run rule or its equvalent. Last year, a game in an NCAA Regional was already like 23-2, but the losing team couldn't get anybody out. The leading team was getting exhausted and had to play again that night, but it took forever to end the blowout. In pro ball, such a rule should allow at least a three-hour minimum for paying fans; and should make exceptions for milestone games.

Other thoughts?

coxfan
02-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Apparently MLB is changing the rule for intentional walks, to take away the need to throw the pitches. Also, the All-Star Game eill no longer determine home-field advantage. Instrad, the league champion with the better tecord gets home-field in the world series

MLB wants a few other changes designed to speed up play while also increasing offense ( not necessarily consistent goals.) But the players are balking on some of the suggestions.

Another of my suggested changes: Remove the tequirement that the ball is dead on a hit batter. Now, if a runner's successfully stealing a base but the pitch hits the batter, the runner has to return. A hit batter's the pitcher's fault, so the defense shouldn't benefit.

coxfan
02-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Commisioner Manfred discussed rule changes today on 'Mike and Mike" and the idea of a special tie-break in extra innings was discussed. Manfred quickly dismissed the thought, but I found it interrsting that it was brought up. Fast-pitch softball has had a rule that a runner starts the inning on second base in extra innings, and it's worked greatly in resolving ties.

Baseball is by far the most conservative sport on rule changes. In the 1960's, basketball had no shot clock; all fouls were free throws; all tie-ups were actual jump balls (no possession arrow); and no three-point goals. The NFL had the goal posts on fhe goal line, no two-point conversion; and no overtime except for special games.

Those sports have thrived partly due to rule changes Some baseball rules are still horse-and-buggy.