PDA

View Full Version : Wesites Rules and Postings

worldchamps
02-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I disagree with the banning of websites on postings. Personally, I have enjoyed seeing others collections, and have learned quite a bit on making a site of my own because of looking at others.

For example...KlyeHess has posterd his entire collection as well as how to make display cainets, etc. I found all this info entertaining as well as informative.

If you ban people from having websites in their postings, I would have never seen either of these.

I can understand not allowing members contact me directly with their sites and contact info. But I think I should be able to have the option on clicking on their sites if I choose????

Bill

NegleyPirate
02-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I disagree with the banning of websites on postings. Personally, I have enjoyed seeing others collections, and have learned quite a bit on making a site of my own because of looking at others.

For example...KlyeHess has posterd his entire collection as well as how to make display cainets, etc. I found all this info entertaining as well as informative.

If you ban people from having websites in their postings, I would have never seen either of these.

I can understand not allowing members contact me directly with their sites and contact info. But I think I should be able to have the option on clicking on their sites if I choose????

Bill
Bill, I for one totally agree with you. I didn't see a problem with a person's web page listed on there signature. If a person wanted to click on the link that is there choice. I guess everything is about someone's rules or dislike for having another link listed on there site. I think everyone on this site basically follows the rules. I never really seen anything that offended me on here. Maybe there should be a different web page for people to list there web sites.

intheminors
02-12-2007, 05:58 PM
So, my signature is now illegal?

Kyle

NegleyPirate
02-12-2007, 06:06 PM

Kyle I would say yes. But I'm not the boss.

kylehess10
02-12-2007, 06:41 PM

Kyle

According to Chris, who I have already e-mailed in advance about the new rule, you cannot have any type of website in your sig, even if it is just a showcase of your collection.

intheminors
02-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Bad rule. I've been scolded once for posting that I have jerseys on my "For Sale or Trade" link on my photosite. Now, I can't even have my website in my signature? I pay Register.com and Photosite good money to show other collectores what I have. Now the Forum says I can't show other collectors?

Wow, I liked this forum when I first joined but I have to say, that raises at least one question: How is my weblink in my signature different than someone posting a link to something on ebay, even if they are just pointing out something funny or ridiculous.

Kyle

ChrisCavalier
02-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Hello Everyone,

Let me take a moment to address some of the questions being posed here and give a bit more background for why the rules exist.

First of all, I think proper business etiquette would say that it isn't proper to go on to anyone's website and try to direct participants to another site. It is not something we do at Game Used Universe and it is a courtesy we would also expect from our members.

In addition, while it may not be considered by some, there are costs involved with running this site. We offer many services free to members and do not ask them to contribute to the associated costs. It is our way of trying to help the hobby as much as possible. While we have invested a lot of our money on this site to date, one possible way for us to cover some of the ongoing costs (there are costs every month to keep it going and growing) will be for us to sell advertising to interested entities.

While some may not have considered it, if we allow members to promote their websites at will, it would not be fair to those who advertise nor would there be any reason to advertise in the first place. Basically it would be saying that GUU will spend the money to operate the site, GUU will spend the money to bring people to the site and others will be allowed to capitalize on what we are doing for free. While we are giving everything we can to help the collecting community, I don't think that is fair or proper, nor would it allow us to keep the site going, and growing, the way it is now.

Further, given our site is one that focuses unequivocally on the needs of collectors, some entities in the industry may not advertise on our site since they may see us as the "fly in the ointment". However, rather than trying to cater to the desires of potential advertisers, we have stayed single-mindedly focused on the needs of collectors. While that decision is costing us potential advertising revenue, we wouldn't have it any other way.

Notably, for collectors who want to showcase their items, we offer them the ability to do so FREE in the Hobby Network. If you post images on GUU you can feel free to reference them in your posts. Simply put, we are not trying to prevent the sharing of information. We simply ask that you do so in accordance with the rules that will help us grow the site together.

Lastly, if you read the rule carefully, it includes the statement "...without prior approval from Game Used Universe." Thus, members can contact us if they feel they have useful information for the community and we will evaluate them on a case by case basis (we are, in fact, evaluating a few requests right now).

As for the questions above, we would appreciate if you would abide in the rules and do not attempt to circumvent them. We, at GUU, abide in the rules of other sites when we participate on them and it is something we expect from our members as well.

As always, please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions on this issue.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
Game Used Universe

intheminors
02-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Got it.

Kyle