PDA

View Full Version : To have a Game Used Bat signed or Not that is the Question

wsoxcubsbats
02-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Collectors
I have two game used bats from Rich Allen and Howie Bedelf. What is thought on having these older bats signed by the players compared to leaving them alone unsigned. Thank you.

yankees506
02-01-2017, 10:47 PM
It's really a personal preference but if given a choice of signed or unsigned I always go with signed.

TBM
02-02-2017, 01:23 PM
I have both signed and unsigned bats but much prefer the signed bats.

chasetheyanks
02-02-2017, 05:00 PM
I prefer mine unsigned.

stlbats
02-02-2017, 08:29 PM
I used to get some of my gamers signed, but a couple of the autographs I didn't think turned out very good. Definitely something to consider. You have to make sure the pen is good to go, paint pen, sharpie point, ect. and the player signs the location you want them to.

I stopped getting my bats signed a few years ago. Too many variables to get a good signature on them.

stlbats

helmets
02-02-2017, 09:04 PM
I don't collect bats, I collect football helmets, however the same thing goes for them. So like them signed and other collectors do not. I personally do not like game used helmets signed - especially older vintage helmets. Nothing worse in my opinion than a nice rare game worn helmet from the 1960s than having some old guy with shaky handwriting scribbling all over it with a new black sharpie. I think it detracts from the value of a true rare piece of vintage - often times one of a kind - memorabilia.

There are plenty of other things to have the old guy sign. Replica helmets, photos, cards, footballs, etc. If it were mine, and they are rare old bats - why take away from what they are and shift the focus to an autograph. Big deal. So he signed it. It looks like crap now on a nice piece and will look worse if the pen skips, it fades over time, or is shakey. Take a photo of him holding the bat and frame it next to the display.

Just my thoughts.

TigersCubs84
02-02-2017, 09:11 PM
Have to go with signed. Not too big on a "naked" bat. That's the cool thing about collecting, you can do what looks good to you.

earlywynnfan
02-02-2017, 09:55 PM
I like them signed, but Bedell is 81. If his auto is shaky it might not come out nice.

Ken

salukidave
02-03-2017, 12:45 AM
Collectors
I have two game used bats from Rich Allen and Howie Bedelf. What is thought on having these older bats signed by the players compared to leaving them alone unsigned. Thank you.

If you're ever interested in selling or trading the Allen bat, I'd be interested.

Dave
salukidave@comcast.net

Buccaneer Madden
02-03-2017, 09:41 PM
I prefer to have my game used stuff not autographed but if I found something cool that was all ready autographed it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Billy77
02-05-2017, 12:06 AM
My primary collection is game used sticks from 1980's and up/. Rather have them signed than unsigned. Kinda like a documentation that the player gave u the item and hen signed his approval.
Rather have game bats signed as well