PDA

View Full Version : ebay to use Professional Authenticators??

TBM
01-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Just saw this story about ebay. How long will it take or will it effect GU items?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/13/professional-authenticators-will-rid-its-site-fake-goods-ebay-says.html

TBM
01-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Do you think game used jerseys fall under "fashion-related items"

bryzzo2016
01-14-2017, 03:13 PM
In my opinion eBay's primary motive is always their bottom line.

Gimmicks like this are only aimed at them charging more fees to sellers.

In the end it's up to the collector to do his homework.

Wrigley2010
01-15-2017, 05:39 AM
I would be surprised if this was offered on game used sports memorabilia. Autographed items I could see. PSA use to offer a service for checking auto'd items on eBay for prospective buyers but could the same service be offered for game used items where the authenticator gives an opinion based solely on photographs? Seems that may give unscrupulous sellers another way to peddle their fake merchandise if they can alter their photos in a way that makes their item look better than it actually is.

sox83cubs84
01-15-2017, 11:40 PM
I would be surprised if this was offered on game used sports memorabilia. Autographed items I could see. PSA use to offer a service for checking auto'd items on eBay for prospective buyers but could the same service be offered for game used items where the authenticator gives an opinion based solely on photographs? Seems that may give unscrupulous sellers another way to peddle their fake merchandise if they can alter their photos in a way that makes their item look better than it actually is.

Good point, Joe. I won't issue a written LOA on anything I don't have in my hands to look at. I've made a handful of exceptions over the years that could be counted on one hand, and each time there was a plethora of photos and it was a common player, no-risk item. Basic front and back photos usually don't give evidence of NOB and number changes, for example. I don't wanna be the guy who OKs a Willie Mays flannel from a photo that turns out, via clandestine changes, to actually be a Willie Kirkland.

Dave Miedema