PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authentication Issues

kellsox
02-11-2007, 11:21 AM
It looks like the MLB authentication program has updated a great deal of items in their database. I have waited a while for some jerseys that I own to be entered in. I recently purchased a 2006 jersey straight from the Toronto Blue Jays that was described by the rep. as game used and was a little disappointed to see that it was entered as a "game issued" jersey. There were numerous jerseys for sale decribed as team issued so I don't think it was intentional. The jersey looks to have some game use. I did a little research with other Blue Jays jerseys with the mlb holo being sold as game used and saw that they were entered with labels like "Official Merchandise"- all jerseys have proper tagging. MLB also looks to be using more that one authenticator(Deloitte & Touche and Authenticators inc). Has MLB added more confusion to the hobby by mass authenticating items and using blanket terms like Official merchandise? I think I previosly read that the Braves label all jerseys with MLB holos as being team issued even ones that are game used- is that true?

sylbry
02-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I bought a 2006 Twins game worn Shannon Stewart sleeveless jersey from the Twins Pro Shop last month. Being that Stewart had been injured and the sleeveless jerseys were not worn that often the jersey doesn't show much wear but does have slight fraying and puckering and slight wear around the neck. The jersey was not entered into the database last month.

I just checked it and this is what came up.

"Hologram number BB100913 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under Jerseys.

Product Description: Team issued player
Session Product Description: Jersey

Session Name: Minnesota Twins Authentication"

Is this some sort of joke? Team issued player? What good is that? Not only is there an unsightly hologram on the back of the jersey but the hologram adds no value.

kellsox
02-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Looks like MLB is messing up what could be a very good thing. I just checked a lot of jerseys on ebay being sold as game used with mlb holos that are entered as team issued or team issued player, particularly jersey authenticated by authenticators inc that were done after the season was completed.

kylehess10
02-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Could they possibly be like what happened to all the Braves 2006 jerseys?....where no one could tell which jersey's were worn and which were issued, so they just put every single one in as game issued