PDA

View Full Version : whats the value of a 2005 World series game used ball

stasman
01-10-2017, 01:42 PM
As a die hard White Sox fan,,,recently I was lucky enough to meet someone who had a Game used ball from Game 2 of the 05 world series in Chicago (the holy grail game for White Sox fans).
I always wanted to own a GU ball from the 05 series but they are almost impossible to locate. I was able to purchase the ball from him along with a very detailed LOA....I know there are not many MLB certified game used balls from the 05 World series out there, but this ball and the provenance are legit. Does anybody have an idea on what the value of the ball may be?
The ball was fouled off by Paul Konerko ( who later that game hit a grand slam) in the third inning and tossed by the batboy to the owners father and they kept the ball in the family since.

TimEC16
01-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Not sure if this totally answers your question but I sold a 2005 ALDS clinch game ball that had a MLB hologram for $295 earlier this year. Not apples to apples but might give you a place to start if nothing else.

Juicyfruit66
01-10-2017, 05:01 PM
How do you verify a loa from a guy who got it tossed to him in stands?

stasman
01-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Very true...in this day and age of fraud it's very very difficult...I spoke with the owner in depth, did some research and felt as a collector of over 20 years it was worth the investment...the price wasn't outrageous and he wasn't offering it for sale...I can't get it MLB authenticated but it's the best I can do with obtaining authenticity.

Tlewi11
01-10-2017, 08:26 PM
I have an MLB authenticated ball from game 4. Got it about 6 years ago and paid $800. As you said, there aren't many out there. Almost all of them are probably locked away in permanent collections, so very hard to judge what a good price is for one.

stasman
01-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Could you post a nice closeup of your ball?

sox83cubs84
01-10-2017, 09:31 PM
I have an MLB authenticated ball from game 4. Got it about 6 years ago and paid $800. As you said, there aren't many out there. Almost all of them are probably locked away in permanent collections, so very hard to judge what a good price is for one.

True...the 2005 WS was the biggest event in the lives of most Chisox fans, in the realm of MLB. The win didn't get 10% of the national celebration that the 2016 World Championship of the Cubs, so Sox fans, many of whom are almost psychotic in their disdain for the Cubs, aren't likely to want to let go of a piece of their deserved time of glory.

Dave Miedema

Tlewi11
01-10-2017, 10:41 PM
I took pictures with my phone, but site is not allowing me to upload. It keeps saying files are too large, but file sizes are under the max listed. I'll see if I can figure it out later.

Juicyfruit66
01-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Send the pic to urself on facebook, then save it off facebook. It will resize

Tlewi11
01-10-2017, 11:25 PM
Lets see if these pics work...

stasman
01-11-2017, 07:25 AM
That's a great ball. Especially with the MLB

Juicyfruit66
01-11-2017, 07:58 AM
I dont know much about balls, do they let them play with holograms on the ball lėke that? If not, when would it have been put on?

stasman
01-11-2017, 11:30 AM
No. They have MLB authenticators at every baseball field...they administer the holograms after the item is used and enter it into their databases.

Tlewi11
01-11-2017, 12:54 PM
If anyone is interested, the range of MLB authentication numbers for used 2005 Game 4 balls are MR590654 - MR590678. That makes 25 total balls from Game 4.

stasman
01-11-2017, 12:57 PM
25...I have never seen one for sale.

stasman
01-11-2017, 12:59 PM

What did MLB state on their page about your ball? Any details of its use?

Tlewi11
01-11-2017, 02:25 PM
None of the balls have specific plays associated to them. They all are generic, just stating "game used baseball".

Tlewi11
01-11-2017, 02:33 PM
I have watched the game on DVD so many times trying to figure out which play/pitch might have been the one to cause the specific markings. Maybe if it was HD back then, but standard tv makes it just too hard!

Juicyfruit66
01-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Im confused though, i know mlb autbenticators put stickers on balls in field but in this case it went from batboy to the guy in stands.....so when would sticker have gone on it? The ball was fouled off by Paul Konerko ( who later that game hit a grand slam) in the third inning and tossed by the batboy to the owners father and they kept the ball in the family since.

Tlewi11
01-11-2017, 04:46 PM
It's a different ball. The one the OP mentioned is not MLB authenticated with a sticker. The one pictured is authenticated. It was taken out of play at some point during the game. That's when an MLB employee applies the sticker.

In the last few years, they even put the exact pitch/ play the ball was associated with, but back in 2005, that was not the case.

sandknit
01-11-2017, 05:36 PM
This thread is making me want to start a new thread to show off our 2005 WS stuff. Perhaps I will do so this evening! :D

stasman
01-11-2017, 06:41 PM
This thread is making me want to start a new thread to show off our 2005 WS stuff. Perhaps I will do so this evening! :D

That would be cool..I've got some awesome items

sox83cubs84
01-12-2017, 12:42 AM

I like this idea. :D

Dave M.

PALEHOSE1
01-12-2017, 11:37 AM
I would love to see other 2005 items?

My then 11 year old son caught the last out of the 4th inning at game 2. Our seats were behind the 1st base (Astros dugout) and after Crede grounded out to 3rd base, 1B Lance Berkman lined (not tossed) the ball into the stands which was caught by my son who was running toward the dugout (as was his habit back then) as the players left the field.

He gave me the ball later that evening saying " I know how much this means to you"

The way I look at it I'm just holding it for him for a while, I will give the ball back to him and its my hope that the ball will always be in the family.
Obviously there is no LOA / hologram but I don't need it.

Would love to buy a ball from another WS 2005 game.

stasman
01-12-2017, 12:13 PM

My then 11 year old son caught the last out of the 4th inning at game 2. Our seats were behind the 1st base (Astros dugout) and after Crede grounded out to 3rd base, 1B Lance Berkman lined (not tossed) the ball into the stands which was caught by my son who was running toward the dugout (as was his habit back then) as the players left the field.

He gave me the ball later that evening saying " I know how much this means to you"

The way I look at it I'm just holding it for him for a while, I will give the ball back to him and its my hope that the ball will always be in the family.

I have the red white and blue bunting that was hanging in the stadium during game 2. MLB authenticated.

stasman
01-12-2017, 12:25 PM

I have the red white and blue bunting that was hanging in the stadium during game 2. MLB authenticated.

PALEHOSE1
01-12-2017, 01:26 PM
I have bunting too I don't remember if it was stated for a specific game Ill have to look it up. I have 3rd base from game 1 at the cell, a Champagne bottle (MLB), Joey Cora's uniform (his LOA) and a few other items. As a Sox fan these memories are going to have to get us through the next few lean years......