PDA

View Full Version : Yet another: What is this? Pro bowl jersey...

Jags Fan Dan
01-05-2017, 03:58 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Russell-Athletic-AFC-Pro-Bowl-Jersey-50-Size-XL-Vintage-White-Red-/222368643150?hash=item33c634384e:g:pKYAAOSwHMJYH3D z

I am one of a very small minority who finds Pro Bowl jerseys interesting. I only own one, a 2000 game issued. No one seems to care about them, leading to very few photos or resources about them. I have never read anything or spoken with anyone with any knowledge base about them, so I know next to nothing about them with nearly all of my knowledge being from my own observations.

That being said, the jersey shown here is interesting to me. From the style and cut, it appears to possibly be a practice jersey? Did Russell ever make a Pro Bowl practice jersey? Very interesting with the "AFC" at the collar. The cut does not appear to make it good for wearing out on the town. Has some shoulder tears. I am not in any way suggesting that I know anything about this, but it just seems like it is not outside the realm of possibility that this is an older practice used jersey.

If anyone has any opinion (or better yet, factual information) about what year, what player (if any) may have worn this style jersey or if Russell ever made Pro Bowl practice jerseys, I'd love to hear it. Don't worry about being called out as ignorant by me, because like I say, I don't know one thing about this jersey.

sox83cubs84
01-05-2017, 10:57 PM
This doesn't look like any Pro Bowl jersey I've ever seen. I wonder if the AFC logo refers to either a college or a college FB conference. NFL jerseys nearly always have manufacturer logos on a sleeve (or both sleeves). Such logos on the chest are usually the location on college jerseys. I'm not sure where prep teams place them.

Dave Miedema

Jags Fan Dan
01-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Thanks, Dave. I agree with the logo on the chest being odd if indeed this had ever been an NFL jersey. Somebody liked it enough to buy it (it wasn't me). I could not find any explanation for it being a college jersey, but I was just doing google searches. Another likely unsolveable mystery...