PDA

View Full Version : Got a football from the game sunday

beef
12-20-2016, 09:09 AM
I was at the Browns/Bills game sunday (don't laugh). One of the special teams assistants tossed a ball to my girlfriend and said Merry Christmas. I'd like to identify if/when it was used. It has markings which I assume are from referees but have no experience with footballs. Don't worry I'm not selling it, just researching. Thanks in advance.
-Ryan

camarokids
12-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Doesn't the ball belong to the cutie? ;)

finfanrb23
12-22-2016, 03:00 PM
If you look at Josh McCown photos from zimbio.com you can see a couple shots that show a 99 on the end of a couple balls from the Nov game against the Giants. The ones on that site don't show an 8 under the Browns logo but I think the 99 is the ref marking and the teams typically supply 10-15 balls a game? A couple of the other photos even show some white specks of paint similar to your ball. Hopefully that gives you a start as to where to look. Very nice pickup!!

beef
12-26-2016, 09:08 AM
Doesn't the ball belong to the cutie? ;)

I told her if we ever break up that I would keep the ball and she could have a couch lol she's actually a vikings fan but suffered through a browns game with me.

Preston
12-26-2016, 10:16 AM
From my understanding there's 12 balls issued per game, and some balls that aren't given out are re-used as practice balls so that looks like it was used in a different game per another poster's picture they located but it's definitely one that was used in a game as it's marked correctly which is awesome. And I'd check Getty images from this season especially from the Browns/Giants game to see if you can find any more definitive pictures of the ball being used in that game, and go from there. Awesome pick up by the way!

camarokids
12-26-2016, 10:40 PM
I told her if we ever break up that I would keep the ball and she could have a couch lol she's actually a vikings fan but suffered through a browns game with me.

Couch for a game ball , helluva trade!!!

yanks12025
12-27-2016, 04:57 AM
I'm guessing the number is 66. 99 is tony Corrente and he didn't was the head ref or any ref during browns vs giants. But 66 Walt Anderson was.

beef
12-27-2016, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the info guys. So the 7 written by the browns logo is probably just the 7th ball destined for a game (1-12). I'll have to dig into the Getty images this weekend. Any idea who marked the laces? It was given pre-game so the Giants or Bengals game make sense.

The couch was in the house when I bought it :D