PDA

View Full Version : MLB visiting locker plates - players complained....

jake33
12-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Heard something through an MLB executive the other day.... With the new CBA agreement, a minor point the players mentioned was not getting cut of overall game used sales. In particular they were not pleased with visiting team locker plates being created. I was told going forward into 2017, that visiting team locker nameplates may go away or be greatly reduced per this request.

TigersCubs84
12-13-2016, 09:34 PM
A real tough thing for these millionaires to deal with. Imagine, seeing your nameplate in a visitors clubhouse. Most will sell at 25 per, oh the horror. Crybabies all.

Juicyfruit66
12-13-2016, 10:47 PM
This is why im glad i collect an extinct team....modern day collecting is outta hand sometimes

Phil316
12-14-2016, 04:38 PM
If MLB is making money off a player he should have every right to get a cut. If all proceeds go to charity it should not matter.

Juicyfruit66
12-14-2016, 05:16 PM
At what point do game used items just become gimmicks? I get wanting to collect a nameplate that hung over ur fav players locker all season, but aren't they just printing them off, pulling them down after one game and slabbing stickers on em? It reminds me of that game used pen we saw last year.

bryzzo2016
12-14-2016, 05:56 PM
At what point do game used items just become gimmicks? I get wanting to collect a nameplate that hung over ur fav players locker all season, but aren't they just printing them off, pulling them down after one game and slabbing stickers on em? It reminds me of that game used pen we saw last year.

You are exactly right. It's like this nonsense they pull with the bases. They'll sell a base from the NLCS that was used for two innings for thousands. It's a joke if you ask me.

Phil316
12-14-2016, 06:53 PM
It can get pretty crazy.

Items sell for whatever a person will pay. If no one bid on locker nameplates they would probably not sell as many. So they would not pump them out.

TBM
12-14-2016, 10:18 PM
I think the name plate and other things like that are more directed at the casual fan. Unlike jerseys, bats and helmets they are often priced under $100. This makes it more attractive to a casual fan who does not want to or can not afford to spend a couple hundred on jerseys, bats and helmets. There are way more of the casual fan that just wants a small connection to their favorite player than there are us crazy people who collect dirty laundry (so says my wife and probably yours too). Those are the people that I think buy the mass quantities of name plates, jars of field dirt, bats whittled down into bottle openers or cork screws, balls skinned and carved up and made into watch faces or wallets or cufflinks or earrings or necklaces, and even jerseys are mutilated and diced into small bits and slapped between two pieces of cardboard with a picture on one side and words and numbers on the other.

It is too late now the flood gates are open and the hordes of casual fans must be fed their fill of game used novelty items.

Juicyfruit66
12-15-2016, 07:45 AM
I guess living through the 90s card bubble just makes me question some of this stuff. Haha correct on the wife.....and it kills me when i see some card seller open up a jersey and proclaim "this could make a nasty patch card" .

bd300
12-15-2016, 07:37 PM
I'm guilty of liking the novelty items and nameplates. My wife got me game used baseball cufflinks to wear for our wedding and I loved them. The baseball that was used came from a ball that was pitched in the dirt so they didn't destroy a significant piece of memorabilia. I also like getting nameplates to display with other stuff I have of that player.

lengthwise1
12-18-2016, 11:12 PM
The Rockies were told to stop doing this two years ago, didnt know anyone still was creating them for the visitors...