PDA

View Full Version : Securing Old Helmet Decal Edges

AKSaint
12-11-2016, 01:37 AM
Hey Helmet Collectors,

Looking for any advice on ways to secure the edges of lifting helmet decals. I have searched the web but don't really see any real suggestions. One of my thoughts would be to use spray photo mounting adhesive and then use a paint brush to coat the back of the lifted sections to resecure them. Maybe light contact cement? Thanks in advance for your time.

Bob

bgakladd
12-11-2016, 04:56 PM
I always use Aleene's clear gel tacky glue with great results. Apply glue under the decal, press down and wipe excess off. Then apply masking tape over the decal and helmet area. Let it dry for several days then pull off the masking tape. Dries clear. I think I got mine at Wal Mart crafts section or Hobby Lobby.. Cost is under $5.00.

emann
12-12-2016, 12:36 AM
I've posted this glue before; it is the only thing I've used because it is archival (important).

http://elmers.com/product/detail/e1579

I've used it on tape that is peeling from bats or gloves and it works perfectly. I think it would work OK on a logo as well. I think I tried it on the edge of a helmet decal that was peeling. Honestly, if it was a cheap helmet I'd try it but if you're dealing with a very valuable one, I'd consult a pro.

AKSaint
12-12-2016, 04:42 AM
Thank you for the replies guys! I will check out your suggestions but like you said, I want to be very cautious with this helmet as don't want to mess things up. Not sure we have any helmet restoration pros up here in Anchorage but that is a thought too.

The helmet appears to be George Rogers 1981 end of season / 1982 start of season Saints helmet. There are excellent style photo matches and decent hit mark photo matches. The helmet shell is date coded 12/81 and all PAC-3 padding is appropriate. Player number decal style, fleur de lis placement, and lack of warning sticker are appropriate for this time frame as the Saints did not start using the warning decal until 1983.

He looks to have worn a PAC-3 fitted helmet during has last year at South Carolina as well. I have to say that I am giddy to have possibly found this helmet and would love to give it the TLC it deserves to restore it to it's intriguing past.

Bob

JDubbs73
12-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Congrats Bob! Would love to see pics. Was a big fan of his growing up.

cbb5
12-13-2016, 04:13 PM
I have a different problem - my old 1986 batting helmet interior black padding is literally disintegrating. The greyish padding is in good condition, but with the black foam disintegrating, it is pulling away from the helmet. Anyone have similar problem and can anything be done?

emann
12-23-2016, 02:12 AM
I have a different problem - my old 1986 batting helmet interior black padding is literally disintegrating. The greyish padding is in good condition, but with the black foam disintegrating, it is pulling away from the helmet. Anyone have similar problem and can anything be done?

I have a few like this and have bought others. The foam starts to really deteriorate and actually starts to turn into black powder. Also happens to some cleats . . . It doesn't bother me if the batting helmet is older, not much you can do. I have a few missing inside foam earpieces, etc. I don't feel it affects display value. Another thing that seems to happen is things to the inside leather/rubber padding, it starts to crack.

Back to the OP. I actually noticed that I have a few helmets with the logo edges peeling up. I'm going to test a fix on one of the cheaper ones . . . First I want to figure out if the logo is peeling up or pulling up because it is shrinking.

AKSaint
12-23-2016, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the discussion guys.

I picked up a cheap youth helmet at the local thrift store and have a few different adhesives to play with to see how they do attaching an adhesive free decal to the youth helmet surface. I picked up the Alenes and am looking for the Elmer's as well. I am going to try my archival spray photo adhesive too and sort of compare how they do as far as adhesion and damage to helmet if the decal is removed.

Interesting side bar on the disintegrating padding. Wonder if there is any way to treat the padding before it starts to crumble or it is inevitable?

Bob

AKSaint
12-23-2016, 03:54 AM
Congrats Bob! Would love to see pics. Was a big fan of his growing up.

Thanks Jason. I am such a fan of the old running / full backs. This has to be one of my all time favorite photos!

Bob