PDA

View Full Version : Possible Steelers game-used helmet... Help Wanted!

BrianRichards
11-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Hello gang!

I picked up this Pittsburgh Steelers helmet today with the #53 on it, that is supposedly game-worn, but the clerk at the flea market store I found it at did not know what player it supposedly belonged to. I have done some research since I brought it home this afternoon, and it is a Bike helmet with the shell mold code 120143. From info I've been able to dig up, Bike only manufactured helmets from 1975-1984 or 1985, I believe, before they were bought out by Schutt, and I believe the last digit in the mold code means it is dated to 1983.

Now, the number 53 and the facemask are both completely consistent with a Steelers player from that era, Bryan Hinkle. The helmet looks pretty close to what he is wearing in most photos I can find, but I have not come up with a exact match yet.

What do you folks think?!?! Any opinions/advice from people knowledgable about the Steelers, and/or even just helmets in general is welcome. BTW, for the record, I paid $80 for it...

tom1315
11-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Morning, looks like a real one to me. Couple of questions - on the face mask clips - see the circles? - Any numbers in those circles like "01" or similar? Looking on inside of face mask what are the three capital letters imprinted on the inside of the mask near a cheek pad?

I'm supposing no recertification stickers with a year evident? The wanting decal looks spot on at first glance.

I tried to load some NFL helmets I have from early to mid 1990's with similar if not identical warning label on rear and are too large. Share an email and I'll send to you. You narrow down some years used with answers to above questions plus location of warning label…you've got pretty good provenance you've a real gamer.

Tom

Vikingshelmetguy
11-20-2016, 01:37 AM
I agree with Tom, it looks like a legit game used Steelers helmet to me. I am not a Steelers helmet expert. But I am very familiar with game used NFL helmets, and this one looks very authentic. One solid clue that it is the real deal is the clear warning label on the back of the helmet (many replicas often use white warning stickers). The game wear and mask look to be consistent with an NFL game used helmet, as well as the aged yellowed patina of the mask clips. I did a quick search of Brian Hinkle and did not see a photo of him with this particular helmet (note the chin strap snaps are on the upper portion of the helmet), yet I would bet it is a helmet he wore. Or it might have been worn by a substitute player during the 1987 NFL strike season. I found a photo of another Steelers player, Dwight Stone, from 1987 and he was wearing a Bike brand helmet. I think Bike changed their name to Air after that time, so my guess is this helmet is for sure from the mid to late 1980's or early 1990's. The $80 you paid for this helmet is a total steal! Even without a verifiable player ID, I feel your helmet is worth at least $300 or more based on the fact that its 1980's era, and because its a rare Air brand helmet. Congratulations! That's a very nice find!

BrianRichards
11-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Morning, looks like a real one to me. Couple of questions - on the face mask clips - see the circles? - Any numbers in those circles like "01" or similar? Looking on inside of face mask what are the three capital letters imprinted on the inside of the mask near a cheek pad?

I'm supposing no recertification stickers with a year evident? The wanting decal looks spot on at first glance.

I tried to load some NFL helmets I have from early to mid 1990's with similar if not identical warning label on rear and are too large. Share an email and I'll send to you. You narrow down some years used with answers to above questions plus location of warning label…you've got pretty good provenance you've a real gamer.

Tom

I checked on your questions, Tom, and on the facemask clip circles, the number inside one of them appears to be "86". Also, the three capital letters imprinted on the inside of the facemask near the cheek pad are "BHG". My email is DJBrian1@charter.net. Feel free to send me any photographic evidence you have! Thanks for your help.

BrianRichards
11-21-2016, 01:36 PM
I agree with Tom, it looks like a legit game used Steelers helmet to me. I am not a Steelers helmet expert. But I am very familiar with game used NFL helmets, and this one looks very authentic. One solid clue that it is the real deal is the clear warning label on the back of the helmet (many replicas often use white warning stickers). The game wear and mask look to be consistent with an NFL game used helmet, as well as the aged yellowed patina of the mask clips. I did a quick search of Brian Hinkle and did not see a photo of him with this particular helmet (note the chin strap snaps are on the upper portion of the helmet), yet I would bet it is a helmet he wore. Or it might have been worn by a substitute player during the 1987 NFL strike season. I found a photo of another Steelers player, Dwight Stone, from 1987 and he was wearing a Bike brand helmet. I think Bike changed their name to Air after that time, so my guess is this helmet is for sure from the mid to late 1980's or early 1990's. The $80 you paid for this helmet is a total steal! Even without a verifiable player ID, I feel your helmet is worth at least $300 or more based on the fact that its 1980's era, and because its a rare Air brand helmet. Congratulations! That's a very nice find!

Vikingshelmetguy, thanks for your input! I'm actually a hardcore Vikings fan/collector, so the reason I didn't see this/answer sooner was because the gal and I were actually at the game yesterday. I appreciate your info!

DrJ
11-25-2016, 07:50 PM
I've owned some Steelers helmets and there are a couple items on this that to me make it the real deal. Great find!

BrianRichards
11-29-2016, 12:29 AM
Which items are you referring to, DrJ?!?! Just curious... Still doing research on the helmet, so any help is appreciated!

War Helmets
01-13-2017, 12:12 AM
If you are maybe interested in selling the helmet shoot me an email at warrior4caverns@aol.com my name is John