PDA

View Full Version : Tough to let a jersey go... even to the player!

perlman9
11-02-2016, 09:59 AM
As some may know, I have a decent Michigan State alumni football jersey/helmet collection. I got an email out of the blue from a former Spartan who had a jersey from every team he played with except the Giants, which I had one. He asked to buy it and while I was torn to let a piece go, it is the third jersey I have gotten back in the hands of the player.

The feeling of a piece going "home" is great, and just barely outweighs the feeling of losing a piece of the collection. He is friends with another former Spartan who doesn't have one jersey from his stint in the NFL so may have to let another go, but I just hope he isn't buddies with every player I have a jersey from.. haha.

On a positive note, he did have two of his Panthers jerseys, so swapping me rather than having to sell a piece, so even better.

Just curious if others had a similar situation and found themselves torn of getting a piece in the proper hands versus losing a piece of the collection.

truvalue123
11-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Not torn, but, have sold a couple of Rays Spring Training over the past month to minor league players or their families...sold a couple of MLB jerseys in the past to a retired players wife...

gopherjerseys.com
11-03-2016, 05:46 AM
I've bought far more from, than I've sold to, or given back to players. I've had a good size number of players ask to purchase items back from me that they sold to me years earlier. I usually only do so in special situations, or if I can purchase a similar item. I've also worked out a few great trades. It's hard to say no to a lot of these guys I grew up watching. Most didn't save any of their gear.

Shawn

www.gopherjerseys.com

AKSaint
11-09-2016, 03:16 AM
Very cool Jason! I have tried to contact a few former Saints players when I was ready to sell / let go an item but have not been able to complete the contacts. I think that it would be very rewarding to get the jerseys / helmets back in the players hands as we will all eventually all let go of our collections as we get older. To have the item go to someone who appreciates it as much, if not more than we did, would be very nice.

Bob

Shipp_96
11-11-2016, 02:55 PM
I got a hold of Jordan Norwood's first ever game he played in NFL jersey from Mei Gray for next to nothing. They even sold it as issued because they did not realize he played that season. I got it and noticed use, found photos of him and stats from a game against ATL (it was also the only game he ever played for them). The Eagles even redid the LOA from issued to used after I showed use and that he played that game. Plus I owned his signed cleats from the same game.

I have a friend and fellow Penn State Alum who was also friends with Jordan. So we worked it out for the gear to go back to him in a trade. At the time I thought nothing of it as he seemed to be someone who was never going to really make it. I met him at a signing and he was a nice guy, so it felt right to get these significant milestone items back to him. Since he got with Denver and set the Super Bowl record on that return I regret it a bit more now than I did at the time though.

Popinjaysnamesir
11-11-2016, 05:59 PM
I traded Brent Honeywell's MWL All Star jersey back to him for a jersey to be worn after his debut. As a Rays fan that works at Honeywell, it'll be a cool display piece.

perlman9
11-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Great stories, and does feel good to get jerseys back to their owners when they ask and willing to pay what I paid for it or a trade