PDA

View Full Version : Help with nformation on revised scorekeeping rules

TBM
10-26-2016, 06:00 PM
I recently picked up a ball that was advertised as one thing and looks to be a different thing because of a revised scorekeeping call. In the White Sox @ Royals game on Friday September 16, 2016 in the bottom of the 5th the Royals Hunter Dozier appears to get a single and an RBI with another run scoring on a throwing error. It would have been Dozier's second career hit and first career RBI. It seems that the scorekeepers call stands the rest of the game.

The next days game September 17, 2016, and again in the bottom of the 5th, Hunter Dozier gets another hit and RBI. Even the TV announcers declare this his second RBI as a graphic comes up that also says its his second RBI. RBI's in back to back games they say. Previous days scorekeeping call still stands, it appears.

The auction for the ball states that it was his second RBI ball and that was from a month after the games were played. However all the stats I have seen say he only had one RBI in the season. That RBI being the second game, the ball that I have. I originally thought this to be an type-o error in the description until I review the two games footage.

The hit was removed, the RBI was removed and the earned run is now an unearned run and Chris Sale's era was changed to reflect this. Baseball Reference. com now lists this as "Reached on E6 (throw) (Ground Ball to SS-3B Hole); Perez Scores/unER/No RBI; Cuthbert Scores/unER/No RBI"

I am not upset at anyone nor am I complaining at all. I did my due diligence and researched the ball and play and discovered that it was actually scored as his second career hit and first career RBI and was the main reason I bid on the ball.

My question is how long after the play/game do they have to change the scorekeeping on the play? This is the first time this has happened to me and I am really curious.

ironmanfan
10-26-2016, 07:42 PM
At one time it was 24 hours, not sure if that's been changed.

TBM
10-26-2016, 08:58 PM
I thought 24 hours also. I recall a game this year that was finished under protest and there was a 24 hour timeframe that the game was in question until MLB made a ruling. I forget all the circumstances though. Any one else have any insights?