PDA

View Full Version : how to research card company source photos

dplettn
10-21-2016, 01:57 PM
If I photomatch a bat to a baseball card from the 1990s, are there contacts at card companies or anywhere else where I could potentially find out where & when the photo was taken?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Buying game used Reds items: contact me at plettner at fuse dot net

KGoldin
10-21-2016, 04:16 PM
If I photomatch a bat to a baseball card from the 1990s, are there contacts at card companies or anywhere else where I could potentially find out where & when the photo was taken?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Buying game used Reds items: contact me at plettner at fuse dot net

in short, NO
ive tried, most of the people from the 90s and earlier are no longer employed by either topps or upper deck, and all the other producers of MLB cards are out of business.

emann
10-21-2016, 10:43 PM
A few years back, I actually sourced one photomatch to the photographer. It took alot of research mixed with luck, I was only able to find him based off a similar photo that appeared as a back cover to Beckett Magazine which had his credit line. The background in the photo on the card was the same stadium and the jersey was so unusual that I assumed they were from the same set/date/photographer. I tracked down the photographer and he confirmed they were both his and was able to pull and scan (for a fee) higher resolution photos and send them along.

Fun fact: Keith Olbermann was a photographer for the 1981 Donruss set.

sox83cubs84
10-23-2016, 12:16 AM
A few years back, I actually sourced one photomatch to the photographer. It took alot of research mixed with luck, I was only able to find him based off a similar photo that appeared as a back cover to Beckett Magazine which had his credit line. The background in the photo on the card was the same stadium and the jersey was so unusual that I assumed they were from the same set/date/photographer. I tracked down the photographer and he confirmed they were both his and was able to pull and scan (for a fee) higher resolution photos and send them along.

Fun fact: Keith Olbermann was a photographer for the 1981 Donruss set.

Are you sure Olbermann was involved with that set? I recall Keith being part of the 1976 SSPC set, but the Chicago ballpark photos in the 1981 Donruss set (and there were hundreds) were the work of Chicago area photographer and late 1970s Old-Tiners card set creator Jack Wallin.

Dave Miedema

ironmanfan
10-23-2016, 10:01 PM
Are you sure Olbermann was involved with that set? I recall Keith being part of the 1976 SSPC set, but the Chicago ballpark photos in the 1981 Donruss set (and there were hundreds) were the work of Chicago area photographer and late 1970s Old-Tiners card set creator Jack Wallin.

Dave Miedema

Dave:

Looks like he indeed sold a handful of photos to Donruss that were used in the set..

http://petapixel.com/2016/01/25/keith-olbermann-was-the-photographer-behind-bad-photos-on-1981-baseball-cards/