PDA

View Full Version : Differently Named Bats

Popinjaysnamesir
09-16-2016, 03:06 PM
I purchased an authenticated game used bat from the Rays. The bat was labeled with "Jake Lamb." I would imagine it's pretty common for players to try the bats of teammates, but I was surprised.

Any idea how common this is?

Is this perhaps the result of a player contacting a company and wanting to try a product so they send existing inventory as a sample?

r_phelps
09-17-2016, 07:37 AM
It's actually pretty simple Jake Lamb traded bats with the Devil rays player who broke it. Could have traded in offseason, before a game, spring training, etc.

Buccaneer Madden
09-17-2016, 10:18 AM
I would think its quite common. I have an Eddie Murray bat that was used by Chris Gwynn (Tony's little brother) when they were both with the Dodgers.

Sulross
09-17-2016, 12:21 PM
It seems to be a pretty common practice. As one example, I almost bought a Pujols GU bat that had been auctioned in a "players' wives basket" on MLB.com. The date of manufacture was only about two months from the auction date so I tried to photomatch it. Turned out it had been used by Aybar who was regularly using Pujols' bats at the time.

STLHAMMER32
09-17-2016, 01:34 PM
It seems to be a pretty common practice. As one example, I almost bought a Pujols GU bat that had been auctioned in a "players' wives basket" on MLB.com. The date of manufacture was only about two months from the auction date so I tried to photomatch it. Turned out it had been used by Aybar who was regularly using Pujols' bats at the time.

Then there was an MLB authenticated Aybar bat used by Pujols that popped up as well

sox83cubs84
09-17-2016, 05:30 PM
I once saw a Davey Lopes Rawlings bat used in BP by Ryne Sandberg from when they were Cubs teammates.

Dave Miedema

STLHAMMER32
09-17-2016, 06:01 PM
It's really common for other players to try different bats....players are always looking for a slight edge whether it's a better feel, little more pop...players try other players bats for a number of reasons. Sometimes to breakout of a slump, sometimes to try a different model, weight, length...etc.

I would estimate that on average every player in the league has likely at one time or another used a model that wasn't their own. There's a thread here actually with photos of players using other players bats and I'm sure there is plenty we could update it with now....

BirdsOnBat
09-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Fisk was using a Burleson bat when he hit the homerun at Fenway.

sox83cubs84
09-17-2016, 09:48 PM
In 1966, Tony Cloninger used a Denis Menke bat when he hit 2 grand slams in one game for the Braves. I saw the bat on display at the Hall of Fame in 1999.

Dave M.

Oriolesfan29
09-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Jonathan Schoop of the Orioles last year used almost exclusively other players bats. I saw him at least use Manny Machado models, Adam Jones models, and even Delmon Young as well. It does happen a lot. This year hes used almost exclusively his own bats but every brand under the sun including Louisville Slugger, Marucci, Rawlings, and Victus. Makes it hard to collect every brand or style he has used as a collector.

Popinjaysnamesir
09-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Every example listed so far has been teammates. It makes sense that teammates would share bats. It's convenient. This is the first time I had seen a player use a bat from a guy not on the same team (but that doesn't mean it isn't common).

The Rays did play the Diamondbacks in June. I suppose the bat could've been acquired then and not broken for two months. The bat is an axe handle, so maybe he wanted to try something different.

yankees506
09-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Robinson cano uses EVERYONES bat, over the last two years he has used mike trout and pujols bats almost once a month. I have a giambi lvs used by cano in 2014 (giambi was in his final season with Cleveland) At least for him, its very common to use non team mate bats.

Oriolesfan29
09-18-2016, 01:05 PM
I once owned a Nolan Reimold game used bat that was a Brandon Moss model so it does happen.

TBM
09-22-2016, 10:32 PM
Earlier this year I saw a 2015 Eric Hosmer Royals bat that was authenticated as being used by an Orioles player and being broke in Tampa Bay against the Rays. The Orioles had just played a series with the Royals a few days before. At least I think those were the two teams. I made a post about it but don't have time to look.

STLHAMMER32
09-23-2016, 01:54 PM
As far as MLB authenticated bats go for non teammate us, I've owned an Adam Dunn bat used by C.C Sabathia and a Carlos Beltran model used by Yonder Alonso.

Birdbats
09-23-2016, 04:12 PM
Earlier in his career, Pujols used bats from guys on several different teams (Mets, Cubs and Brewers come to mind). Last week, the Cardinals tweeted a photo of a Pujols bat on the Cardinals bench -- probably being used by Molina. I have a Robert Fick Washington Nationals bat from 2006-07 that was used by Jim Edmonds. Bat trading definitely isn't limited to teammates.