PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas Bat Hunt Auctions

Nnunnari
09-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Most likely used by Magglio Ordonez:
http://huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=54&lot_num=17&lot_qual=

WadeInBmore
09-15-2016, 07:52 AM
I couldn't agree more. From the knob markings, to the taped handle, to the contact patterns exhibited on the barrel.

Good eyes Nick!!

Buyer beware.

Thomas Bat used by Magglio.

-wade

Phil316
09-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Did anyone of you contact Hunt?

WadeInBmore
09-15-2016, 03:19 PM
I have emailed them. I didn't not before posting but did reach out when I had free time in my day. I am awaiting a response ;-)

-wade

Phil316
09-16-2016, 02:41 PM
I did as well. No response yet.

salukidave
09-17-2016, 02:06 AM
I examined a lot of the auction items Wednesday at the park and I must say I was impressed with the accuracy of Hunt's descriptions, especially in describing use. I spoke at length with a couple of the Hunt guys and I received a good vibe from them.

Phil316
09-17-2016, 03:09 AM
I examined a lot of the auction items Wednesday at the park and I must say I was impressed with the accuracy of Hunt's descriptions, especially in describing use. I spoke at length with a couple of the Hunt guys and I received a good vibe from them.

It still doesn't change the facts on the Thomas bat.

ndevlin
09-17-2016, 09:52 AM
They really should consider posting more than 1 photo per listing. They've done that for years and it's the reason why I never bid.

twarman17
09-17-2016, 10:57 PM
I won that bat today, came with White Sox team LOA too. Pretty disappointed to see this thread. Did Mags mark his bats like that? It ended up costing $475 out the door. Thoughts on returning?

I did see a couple other Thomas bats online with some tape like that, but did Mags use that style tape?

I'm a Cubs collector but jumped on the Thomas at that price.

twarman17
09-17-2016, 11:03 PM
I won that bat today, came with White Sox team LOA too. Pretty disappointed to see this thread. Did Mags mark his bats like that? It ended up costing $475 out the door. Thoughts on returning?

I did see a couple other Thomas bats online with some tape like that, but did Mags use that style tape?

I'm a Cubs collector but jumped on the Thomas at that price.

STLHAMMER32
09-17-2016, 11:06 PM
Anybody ever see a Mags with that particular tape job and MO marked on the knob?

WadeInBmore
09-18-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm not a Magglio collector so I couldn't say to be sure. I know that isn't Thomas markings. I've got over 30 Thomas bats in my collection (spanning his entire career from 1990-2008)...and none of them are like that. Also, Thomas wasn't a taped knob kind of hitter...so I've always stayed away from bats with that.

And I still haven't received a response from ANYONE at Hunts. My email went out to two different email addresses per their email us link.

-wade

twarman17
09-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Thanks Wade, please post if you get a response. I also emailed.

Most disappointing part of this is that the Sox also gave a LOA. Pretty frightening. And is was marketed as having additional authenticity based on the Sox LOA. Instead of "game model" is was sold as "used by Thomas", which was why I jumped on it.

sox83cubs84
09-18-2016, 04:27 PM
I wonder to just what extent that Hunt's is actually reviewing the game equipment items in the auction and to what extent they're just rubber stamping whatever the Sox tell them?

Dave Miedema

Phil316
09-18-2016, 04:44 PM
I wonder to just what extent that Hunt's is actually reviewing the game equipment items in the auction and to what extent they're just rubber stamping whatever the Sox tell them?

Dave Miedema

I agree Dave. I have noticed a few auction sites and ebay sellers that just take the piece of paper and run with it.

STLHAMMER32
09-18-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm not a Magglio collector so I couldn't say to be sure. I know that isn't Thomas markings. I've got over 30 Thomas bats in my collection (spanning his entire career from 1990-2008)...and none of them are like that. Also, Thomas wasn't a taped knob kind of hitter...so I've always stayed away from bats with that.

And I still haven't received a response from ANYONE at Hunts. My email went out to two different email addresses per their email us link.

-wade

Wade. you have an awesome collection of Thomas gears. One of the best player collections and of a hall of famer, no less. MO makes sense since MAgs was a teammate but I've had a few of his bats and just never came across those characteristics either.

I thought it was strange that in the listing they mentioned that it has the MO or what appears to be and didn't conclude that the bat may have been used by someone else. It's certainly not a Thomas trait...

twarman17
09-18-2016, 08:16 PM
Is the tape consistent with a Mags gamer? The 2000 era Mags bats I see online do not have that type of tape.

Phil316
09-19-2016, 02:27 AM
I have seen that tape job on Bo Jackson bats before.

twarman17
09-19-2016, 09:41 AM
I have seen that tape job on Bo Jackson bats before.

Now that would be awesome! A Bryce Harper gamer I sold had same tape too. The 2000 Mags I see online does not have any tape. As the Thomas expert says he typically did not use tape. I did see a Thomas online with similar tape. I do not see any Mags with similar tape. Cannot find any bat with "MO" on knob. I cannot think of anything else this would mean. Mags probably would have written his number on the knob like other bats.

I will let everyone know what Hunt Auctions says about.

danesei@yahoo.com
09-24-2016, 08:43 AM
Now that would be awesome! A Bryce Harper gamer I sold had same tape too. The 2000 Mags I see online does not have any tape. As the Thomas expert says he typically did not use tape. I did see a Thomas online with similar tape. I do not see any Mags with similar tape. Cannot find any bat with "MO" on knob. I cannot think of anything else this would mean. Mags probably would have written his number on the knob like other bats.

I will let everyone know what Hunt Auctions says about.

Just a thought... is it possible that it's:
B
O

as opposed to:
MO?

STLHAMMER32
09-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Just a thought... is it possible that it's:
B
O

as opposed to:
MO?

That would be quite a stretch....This bat is from 2000 so it's highly doubtful that Bo would have any association with this bat

ndevlin
09-24-2016, 11:33 AM
An easy one--- not a Frank gamer. Ask for your money back

twarman17
09-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Spoke to Hunt Auctions today. The Hunt rep that I spoke to indicated that the White Sox stand behind the authenticity on the bat as used by Frank Thomas and that the bat came directly from the White Sox. Therefore, there is nothing Hunt will do on it.

I asked for someone from the White Sox to contact me.

Nnunnari
09-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Hunt should give you a refund. Who are the memorabilia experts, Hunt or the White Sox? The White Sox have no clue who used the bat. We collectors know that bat was used by another player along with possibly Frank at some point.

twarman17
09-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Hunt should give you a refund. Who are the memorabilia experts, Hunt or the White Sox? The White Sox have no clue who used the bat. We collectors know that bat was used by another player along with possibly Frank at some point.

Based on my conversation with Hunt they did no independent evaluation of the bat even though Hunt provided a LOA (in addition to the White Sox LOA)...They just said that they are relying on the White Sox providing authenticity on it.

staindsox
09-30-2016, 09:58 AM
Sounds about right. I had a similar experience with this auction house and no longer bid with them.

Phil316
10-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Of course you cannot do a charge back due to the fact they do not take credit cards. They don't take paypal either.

Note to buyers....PLEASE if you don't want any issues only buy from auction houses that accept credit cards. Buyers need to be protected.

So you are stuck with a bat that who knows who it was used by.

Juicyfruit66
10-01-2016, 11:35 PM
so based on HUNT's practices I could make a LOA saying a bat was used by Babe Ruth and they'd sell it as such and claim that the buyer would have to deal with me for refund?

twarman17
10-02-2016, 04:31 PM
so based on HUNT's practices I could make a LOA saying a bat was used by Babe Ruth and they'd sell it as such and claim that the buyer would have to deal with me for refund?

No one from white sox has contacted me so I assume I don't get the opportunity to deal with the sox. Hunt should not have given a LOA on this if they were relying strictly on the white sox. Also, buyer beware dealing with them and assume you have no recourse after the auction so do all your homework before. I should been more careful I guess. Having said all that, it's still a nice bat for $475