PDA

View Full Version : Mlb authentication

BLANCO84
09-10-2016, 03:06 PM
So I got my hands on a Ryan schimph bat from the San Diego Padres. The bat was broken on the wed night game against David price on his first at bat. So as I am watching Tuesday nights game to see how long he has used the bat he used it in that game also. So I was wondering if the mlb authentication could be changed. I only want it changed just for collecting purposes I have no intent to sell any time soon but it would make me feel better to see the stats on there. But here are my facts

1. Ryan schimph never uses the same color grip on any of his bats
2. On the 9/6 game he used a bat with no grip on there.
3. He switched to the bat with the white/gray grip in which he hit a Homerun off of clay bucholtz.
4. He then used that same bat and the next day against David price in which he broke before he hit the double on the game on 9/7

So with video evidence of the bat could one present a cause to get those details added onto the paperwork or should I just keep photo matched pictures and just sweep it under the rug

Jags Fan Dan
09-10-2016, 08:29 PM
I think it is largely known and accepted that MLB authentication is often incomplete. If you have solid photo matches I think that would be enough for me.

truvalue123
09-10-2016, 10:21 PM
I am not sure how they do it, but, I have owned jerseys that have been authenticated for periods of time, or, for multiple games from different times in the season(such as a special jersey worn in two different games in different months..but, few and far between..
And, while I don't have 100% certainty, I would have to say AFTER an item gets authenticated the item will never be changed...sometimes an item will not get in the database..but, no one is going to change an authentication...just my humble opinion.

64SHEA
09-11-2016, 11:18 PM
From my understanding, they will only authenticate what they see. The authenticator collected the bat after it was broken in the game, and that is all he can attest to. You will sometimes see an item that has multiple games listed. The holo is applied at some point, and its use is recorded after each game. I think someone posted a photo once of a bat being used with an MLB holo clearly visible. I have a Jeurys Familia hat from last year that has two holos on it. One is from the last game of the season, and the other list multiple games from the NLDS, NLCS, and World Series. I don’t see them altering the description of an item though, especially after it is out of their hands.

Popinjaysnamesir
09-13-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm of the opinion there is no chance they'll change the listing unless you can show there is a mistake. But no reason to take our word for it. I would recommend emailing them directly.

The address is on the authentication page.

thomaslynch
09-14-2016, 12:10 AM
I'm pretty sure they just authenticate the last play before the particular item is retired from use. It would require a lot of record keeping to authenticate every play an item was involved in. For special circumstances an item may have multiple holos applied but that is the only time I know where multiple plays are recorded on a single item.

coxfan
09-14-2016, 05:09 AM
Usually only the last play is recorded, but occasionally an individual authenticator will go farther. I bought a ball that was authenticated as hit for consecutive singles by Mike Minor and Jason Heyward. The Rangers once had a jersey that was authenticated for both a regular-season game and for their first World Series won game. ( though only worn in the bullpen in the series game. I think it was Darren Oliver.)

Watch out for changes in official scoring. The Braves' authenticator once recorded a ball as a double, because the scorer had called it a double plus fielder's choice, allowing the batter to continue to third when the outfielder tried to get a lead runner at home. But the scoring was changed to a triple, and the authentication people didn't get the change, so the hologram still reads double.

Popinjaysnamesir
09-14-2016, 05:27 AM
But the scoring was changed to a triple, and the authentication people didn't get the change, so the hologram still reads double.

That's the sort of thing they probably would change if you emailed them. I've had a description changed because it said the wrong player.

memorabiliaunlimited
09-14-2016, 07:40 AM
I am not sure how they do it, but, I have owned jerseys that have been authenticated for periods of time, or, for multiple games from different times in the season(such as a special jersey worn in two different games in different months..but, few and far between..

they covert mark the jersey or item in a place where only the authenticator will know of the location. it allows the authenticator to authenticate the item for multiple games without having to hologram it. or sometimes they just apply the hologram after the first authentication date and then add subsequent dates.

eric.marshall16
09-14-2016, 09:06 PM
I was told it is the last thing that was witnessed by the Authenticators. Some guys with keep it simple and ONLY do the last things seen. Some guys will really pay attention to the game and put 2, maybe 3 things that happened to a ball.

BLANCO84
09-16-2016, 12:41 PM
hey thanks for the feedback i will email them today