PDA

View Full Version : Vladimir Guerrero Glomar Game Used Bat

geoff
02-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Can i get his Glomar bat shipping records from 1999 - 2002 if they are available.Thanks Geoff

MSpecht
02-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi Geoff--

Within the last 6 months or so, an ebay seller ID VWsurfn fell into the last remnants of the glomar Bat Company, and over a period of weeks sold dozens of the prototype, or tool room bats used as patterns for many of the Major Leaguers that used Glomar. Here's how the story went if i remember correctly:

He was at an L.A. swapmeet that is wellknown for selling items that have come from abandoned storage locker auctions. He came across a seller at the swap meet who appeared to have many baseball bats. Upon closer inspection, it was determined that the swap meet seller had gotten all of the prototype bats and alot of branding dies from a storage locker auction. The locker appeared to be the Glomar vault where everything had been stored after the company ceased production. Anyway, ebay seller VWsurfn bought all of the bats with names that he recognized on them (they all had players names, tool room markings, etc) but was unable to make a deal with the swap meet seller for the dies as the swap meet seller thought they were worth more as scrap metal than VWsurfn was willing to pay.

The stock that VWsurfn bought had several Vlad Guerrero prototypes, as well as many others such as S. Finley, Travis Lee, , and, as I remember, was fairly heavy with Angels players. I got in late after he had posted and sold one or two rounds of postings, and picked up a Canseco and a Tony Phillips prototype. The ebay seller is a regular seller of skateboard and golf items, and I think this was pretty much a one of a kind freak deal. He may have kept some records of what he sold, and may be able to help you if contacted through ebay, but that is just a guess.

After I wrote this I found a previous post that tells the story in the seller's own words...it is an interesting story and appears in post number 12 in this thread:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=4491&highlight=glomar

Good Luck--

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

geoff
02-07-2007, 09:25 PM
What is a protype bat and thanks for the help Mike.Geoff

geoff
02-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Are these bats really game used also and what is a tool room marking.Thanks

MSpecht
02-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi Geoff---

My typo error---- These bats are pattern, or prototype bats, meaning they were manufactured by the company to the players specifications (or off of another bat sent in by the player) and thereafter used as patterns for bats made in subsequent orders. These specific Glomar pattern bats were not game used -- they remained in the tool room and were pulled out and used for the player's subsequent orders.Tool room markings refers to the markings made on the bat at various times (for various orders) directing the craftsman to make certain modifications such as 'thinner handle' or 'add 1 inch,' etc. as directed by the player.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

geoff
02-08-2007, 12:37 PM
This bat shows alot of use with pintar and has cracking on the bat and a shaved handle.I did get in touch with that seller and he did sell it through ebay to another member.I am going to try to get in touch with that member as well.As always thanks for this kind of great help Mike.Thanks Geoff

geoff
02-08-2007, 05:33 PM
The bat is on the Grey Flannel for sale list on their website if you have time can you take a look at the bat and tell me what you think.Who shaved the handle who put the pintar on the bat etc.Thanks again Geoff