PDA

View Full Version : gary carter

Juicyfruit66
09-07-2016, 11:14 PM
anyone know how to get old marker off this glove? want to erase "Andrew".

Juicyfruit66
09-07-2016, 11:15 PM

Juicyfruit66
09-07-2016, 11:17 PM
And does the carter sig look good? no authentication but seller has guaranteed it's authentic. Seems legit

gobills123
09-08-2016, 03:53 PM
I've never had any luck getting ink off leather. If you find a way without ruining the glove, please make sure to pass it on!

Juicyfruit66
09-08-2016, 04:11 PM
I wonder if brown shoe polish would work

gameused
09-08-2016, 04:33 PM
This might work, I use it to keep my game used gloves conditioned. Give the owner a call and she can let you know.

http://glovestuff.com

volunteer
09-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Set it in the sun, UV rays will fad it out in about a week.

Bestsports
09-13-2016, 08:13 PM
It's a forgery

Juicyfruit66
09-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Please explain why you believe so

Juicyfruit66
09-15-2016, 02:51 PM
If it's not real i'll just return it.

Juicyfruit66
09-15-2016, 03:07 PM
Heres the sig with two psa examples

Juicyfruit66
09-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Searched seller username and it was on a signature forum where the members called most of his stuff '"atypical".

carbonrosa
09-15-2016, 08:24 PM
First off, if anyone is going to say something here is fake but doesn't even bother to explain there case or show defining proof on the contrary, they have no voice. PERIOD!! Don't listen, Don't bother, Don't let it affect you.
Here's a Carter example that's slightly sloppy from '86
On that note, I met Gary Carter and Mickey Mantle at a card convention at a hotel on Long Island back on Jan 18th 1986 (my farther wrote my name and date for me which I'm glad he did or I'd never remember the date). I was ten at the time and I remember getting there late. As Gary Carter was shaking hands about to leave in the room they were in, I stopped him and asked for an autograph on the back of a hotel brochure. He smiled and shook my hand. Very cool moment I'll never forget. Mantle was another story. I thought he left and I'll never forget being a little shit that I was, I started cursing his name to my friend that came with me and my dad not realizing he was standing next to me in the corner of the hall way. I was embarrassed so I didn't bother him. My dad said he was about to walk out the hotel doors and to run after him which I did. Just before he stepped out, he was nice enough to stop and sign his auto in pencil( since it was the only thing I had at the time). As he was signing, he starts to step on my foot and push down hard while signing! I was in shock what was happening and then he turned and left. I'll never forget it. Then I noticed he didn't sign his full name leaving out the E.
-Devin

Bestsports
09-15-2016, 08:53 PM
I don't think I have to explain why I think it's a forgery. Most autograph experts can tell very quickly if an autograph is real or not. I sell buy and sell thousands of autographs a year and I like to help with opinions when ever I can. Besides, every item that seller on eBay sold was a forgery, the Carter glove included.

Bestsports
09-15-2016, 08:57 PM
Check out the sellers "autographs". All junk. Be sure to see his completed listings.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/chaoticdopey/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

R. C. Walker
09-15-2016, 09:49 PM
I don't think I have to explain why I think it's a forgery. Most autograph experts can tell very quickly if an autograph is real or not. I sell buy and sell thousands of autographs a year and I like to help with opinions when ever I can. Besides, every item that seller on eBay sold was a forgery, the Carter glove included.

Thanks for helping Juicyfruit66 understand why the autograph is a forgery . . .

Since you consider yourself and autograph expert plus buy and sell "thousands of autographs" a year, we'll take your word for it.

Juicyfruit66
09-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Glove has been returned and I bought something I think is better from another seller. A 1973 rookie era gary carter signature contract for autographed ball company. Has Gary's writing on it as well. The red marks I did myself in computer.

TBM
09-23-2016, 09:49 AM
It may no longer be relevant since you returned the glove, but I tried to post this last week and it did not go through.

I thought the signature on your glove was fishy looking from the first time I saw it. Now I am not an autograph expert and have bought far fewer than 100 in my life time and have not sold any (to this date), so take my observations with a grain of salt.

To me Gary Carter signatures most always look like he takes pride in them. They look neat and legible as he took time to make it look good. That being said, the auto on the glove looked too good. For writing on such an uneven surface, with hills and valleys with the natural contour of the glove, it looks too even and smooth. The auto looks like the glove was contorted and pulled flat so that it would be smooth and even. It looks too nice in other words like it was forced to be nice looking, but they made a couple of mistakes.

The kicker to me did not reveal itself until you posted the two pics for comparison. Both of those again look like he took pride in every letter of his name and took time to make it look nice. On the glove Mr. Carter looks as if he did the same, taking his time and making it look nice, But he left the "e" out of Carter. I know the next pic that carbonrosa posted has him leaving out the "e" also, but that one was hurried and sloppy to begin with but was personally obtained so no question about it.

The next thing I noticed is that in all three comparison pics Gary Carter has a hooked "C" in Carter. That is he starts out at a high point and comes down then back up and over the original starting point of the "C" thus making a fishing hook looking tip on the "C". The signature on your glove does not have this. The signature on your glove has a regular "C", it starts low then goes up and over without a hook. To me even the pre-printed signature on the glove shows his hooked "C" as the tip of the "C" is wider than the part that goes up from that point then gets wider again as it goes over the hooked "C" part. He wrote his hooked "C" starting high then going low and as he went up and over he went back over a portion of the hook and in doing so the tip of the "C" is wider than if it was a normal "C"

Again I am no expert it is just what stood out to me. Take it for what it is an observation from a non-expert in autographs and especially a non-expert in Gary Carter signatures. I believe that it was the right thing to do to return it.

Juicyfruit66
09-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks tbm, yeah I didn't listen to my gut when I saw such a fine pointed auto on leather. I didn't do my homework on the seller and it almost bit me. I got everything back including both shipping fees.