PDA

View Full Version : George Brett GU bat on E-Bay

kcrhino
02-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Can anybody help me with this one? Seems cheap!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300077445466&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

Yankwood
02-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Looks unused. That doesn't seem too cheap for an unused bat.

bscott
02-06-2007, 03:42 PM
if it walks like a duck....

despite the seller's listing the bat as "game used," the low price and lack of use seems to indicate an un-used, game-issued bat.

the seller even says there are no ball or seam marks evident.

despite a light layer of pine tar, there seems to be little evidence that the bat is "game used."

maybe brett struck out looking with the bat!

Birdbats
02-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Brett's Anaconda-Kaye model was C271. Don't know if this one is an AK, but it's wise to use caution with any player's '86-'89 bat if the same model was sold by AK. Usually, the weight tells the story -- AK bats typically are heavier than pro bats. If you're interested in this bat, you might want to ask the seller to throw it on a postal scale to see if the weight matches Brett's order records.

kcrhino
02-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. Since he mentions that the model matches Brett's LS orders, does this lend any credibility to this being GU? Or should I just let this go away???

bat_master
02-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Hi,

Just my two cents, but I would definitely take Jeff's advice and check with the seller for the bat's weight.

Conceivably it would be possible for the bat to be matching the LS records as part of a promotional order. Sure, it might match the LS records, but if it maches as part of one of Brett's promotional orders and as not intended for Brett's own use is that really a bat you want in your collection?

Hope this helps.

kcrhino
02-06-2007, 07:27 PM
I just heard back from the seller of this item, and he contends that Brett's AK bats were all finished, and since this one is unfinished it's a true gamer. Altho he says it's not "heavy" he doesn't offer any weight. Doesn't sound right to me.....I appreciate all your feedback. Thanks.

metsbats
02-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I just heard back from the seller of this item, and he contends that Brett's AK bats were all finished, and since this one is unfinished it's a true gamer. Altho he says it's not "heavy" he doesn't offer any weight. Doesn't sound right to me.....I appreciate all your feedback. Thanks.

Absolutely not!

I personally purchased a George Brett C271 86-89 from AK which were unfinished. I had to put lacquer on it before I got it autographed by George at an early ninties National Pastime Show across from Madison Square Garden. In fact I also purchased a Robin Yount P72 AK bat which was also unfinished too.

-David

scottanservitz
02-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Brett bats come up all the time on this forum. I bought one from Andy Benish at vintagebats.com. He has a section on Brett bats that is a must for anyone looking to purchase one. Brett characteristics are just as important as matching factory records. I think a HUGE telltale about this bat is that it has no ball marks. George Brett could hit! I would email Andy and see what he has to say. I would personally be leary about this particular bat as being game used. As well as the others have mentioned, the weight is a very important aspect to check out. The pine tar amount should also match with the amount of ball marks. The more the tar the more ball marks should be present. Good luck.

MSpecht
02-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi--

Here's all the documented information on shipments of 34 inch Model C271 George Brett signature model bats during the 1986-1989 H & B labeling period:

5/18/88 15 bats w/ No Finish shipped to KC Royals with no designated weight. Orders with no specified weight are presumed to be not for theprofessional use of the player whose name is on the barrel --- possibly used for a promotional event or as presentation bats.Additionally notewirthy is the fact that Brett's professional orders of all models were overwhelmingly 34.5 inches in length during this period.

7/17/88-- 1 bat w/ Natural Finish and no specified weight shipped to BB Miscellaneous. Again, bat(s) ordered with no specified weight are not presumed to be for the player's professional use.

8/3/88- 2 bats w/ No Finish shipped to BB Promotions with weight of 31 oz. Bats shipped to BB Miscellaneous or BB Promotions with specified model, length, and weight are presumen to be for the player's professional use.

10/1/88-- 24 bats with No Finish and no specified weight shipped to BB Miscellaneous (see above)

10/28/88-- 3 bats w/ No Finish and no specified weight shipped to BB Promotions.

11/4/88-- 24 bats with No Finish and no specified weight shipped to Anaconda-Kaye. These are promotional or show bats. See previous posts re Anaconda Kaye in forum archives.

2/13/89-- 12 bats with No Finish and weight 32 oz shipped to George Brett / KC Royals.

2/13/89--12 bats w/ No Finish and no specified weight shipped to KC Royals.

2/23/89-- 12 bats w/ No Finish and no specified weight shipped to KC Royals.

3/8/89-- 24 bats w/ Flame Treated finish and no specified weight shipped to IKE CO for promotional or show use

3/23/89-- 24 bats w/ No Finish and no specified weight shipped to HAMPS COIN AND STAMPS for promotional or show use

8/1/89-- 24 bats w/ No Finish and no specified weight shipped to KC Royals8/2/89-- 24 bats w/ No Finish and weight 32 oz shipped to George Brett / KC Royals

8/4/89-- 24 bats w/ No Finish and no specified weight shipped to KC Royals

9/20/89-- 1 bat with No Finish and no specified weight shipped to BB Promotions

10/20/89-- 24 bats w/ No Finish and no specified weight shipped to Anaconda Kaye

11/7/89-- 84 bats w/ No Finish (possible lacquer) and no specified weight shipped to KC Royals

11/30/89--3 bats with No Finish (possibly lacquer) and no specified weight shipped to BB Miscellaneous

12/1/89-- 24 bats with No Finish and weight specified at 32.5 oz shipped to George Brett / KC Royals

Note that although C271 was Brett's Pro Stock model, in general it was not a model he preferred or ordered for his professional use until 1988. Being his Pro Stock model, however, many team orders for hundreds of "assorted models, lengths, and weights" during that period would have included various lengths and weights of C271 Brett signature model bats for use throughout the KC organization by any player who so wished.

Anyway, the above info is what is available to assist in making a personal decision on the liklihood of Brett having used this specific bat, and the value an individual collector is willing to place on it. Other considerations would be to factor in the info that approximately 725 bats were ordered by Brett during this period for his professional use (all models) and that approximately 600 bats (all models) ordered for something other than his professional use, not including team ordered index bats. Additionally, through 1994 H & B produced bats for Minor League teams with 1986-89 pro labelingoften with barrel labeling of star players.

The key is to eveluate the information above, and most importantly, review Andy Benish's outstanding analysis on Brett's personal game use characteristics to determine for yourself where this specific bat fits in.

Good luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com