PDA

View Full Version : Chris Sale Scratched From Tonight's Start Because He Cut Up Throwback Jerseys

justrun7
07-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Multiple sources say that Chris Sale was scratched from his start tonight (7/23/2016) because he finds the throwback jerseys uncomfortable and had a disagreement with the team. He supposedly asked the team to wear them on his off days, and the proceed to cut the jerseys up in the clubhouse after they told him no.

Assuming all of this is true, what do you think would happen if the White Sox sold these jerseys? Would they sell for a premium because of the story?

http://i.imgur.com/7ervFSV.png

http://i.imgur.com/ia3DyYL.png

Phil316
07-23-2016, 08:17 PM
What is this TMZ Sports lol

sox83cubs84
07-23-2016, 08:38 PM
It's not a joke. Len Kasper and Jim DeShaies discussed this during this evening's Cubs game telecast. I was under the impression, from their discussion, however, that he only destroyed his jersey. Did he mutilate the others, also?

Dave Miedema

sox83cubs84
07-23-2016, 08:43 PM
It's not a joke. Len Kasper and Jim DeShaies discussed this during this evening's Cubs game telecast. I was under the impression, from their discussion, however, that he only destroyed his jersey. Did he mutilate the others, also?

Dave Miedema

It looks like he may have trashed all, or at least many of them. I just checked Getty Iamges for game photos, and the Sox are wearing the 1983-style unis that they wear as a home alternate on a limited basis. The throwbacks they were supposed to wear tonight (and that Sale trashed) were versions of the 1976 Bill Veeck designed unis.

Dave M.

R. C. Walker
07-23-2016, 10:26 PM
Crybaby
Egotist
Narcissist
Princess
Self-centered
Spoiled brat

I looked up all these words and they all had the same definition:

TBM
07-23-2016, 11:07 PM
Wow, Just wow!! Is this guy self-centered or what? I think the only good thing to come out of it was that I remembered to order my Bo Jackson bobblehead with proceeds supporting White Sox Charities. Big Bo fan from way back in the day so even though he is not in a Royals jersey it still fits into my Bo Jackson collection. Sale could take some humanity lessons from a good guy like Jackson.

GoCrazyFolks76
07-24-2016, 06:18 AM
If the jersey really didn't fit the players correctly and was uncomfortable to play in, let alone pitch in, I can understand why he refused to wear it. Why would he want to risk having a bad outing just so the sox can sell some more jerseys.

KGoldin
07-24-2016, 08:31 AM
Read article
Hysterical
Sadly it will hurt my fantasy team, especially if he goes to Texas where he is rumored to go.
But how nuts is that
How can He not be suspended for destroying team property?

STLHAMMER32
07-24-2016, 09:19 AM
I'll throw in my 2 cents in defense of Sale...

If I'm not mistaken, most teams do allow for their starting pitcher to have influence over the jersey worn for the day when they take the mound. If the term disregarded the concern and felt coinciding promotions was more important then Sale's input... Starting pitchers are superstitious on game days with most holding to a set routine and some will not even have a conversation with anyone....confidence is king and Sale gave his input on what he felt confident and comfortable with...He expressed his opinion and was ignored and in his mind the team cared more about the PR than winning.

I imagine these jerseys all were just increased in value with this story...Hopefully they can be auctioned off for a cause and bring a positive to this story.

Stanley
07-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Would they sell for a premium because of the story?
Yes, I believe they will sell for top dollar. But if I was the owner, they would go with a mug shot of him for destroying private property. There is no way to defend Sale for this act of childish behavior. A grown man walks to the coaches office and says " Coach you mind skipping me today. I don't think I can perform in this jersey. " And if he says no. You just say. " Well I'm not playing today." But no, this guy grabs a pair of shears and goes to town on everyone's jerseys? What's he going to cut up next? Hide the scissors! Here comes Sale!
This guy is a great pitcher. But he'll probably be remembered for cutting up everyone's jerseys, because he didn't want to play baseball.

seanbaseball
07-24-2016, 11:31 AM
What a spoiled brat! Cant pitch in certain jersey. lol Put him in an old time flannel on a 100 degree day in st louis like the old time guys. Some of these newer players are so spoiled. I hope he gets suspended and fined! No one was asking him to pitch in a straightjacket. And yes teams need to do promotions to make money so they can pay the crazy salaries for these young dumb classless morons like Sale.:)

KGoldin
07-24-2016, 11:49 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17135160/chris-sale-suspended-five-days-chicago-white-sox

Figured he would be suspended for " destroying team property"

swainer
07-24-2016, 12:18 PM
The jerseys won't be sold at a discount. Chris just tweeted "I told the team, there is NO way this jersey is going on Sale!"

Tip your waitress, folks!

I know....bad.

Peace!

STLHAMMER32
07-24-2016, 12:54 PM
What a spoiled brat! Cant pitch in certain jersey. lol Put him in an old time flannel on a 100 degree day in st louis like the old time guys. Some of these newer players are so spoiled. I hope he gets suspended and fined! No one was asking him to pitch in a straightjacket. And yes teams need to do promotions to make money so they can pay the crazy salaries for these young dumb classless morons like Sale.:)

They also did not have twitter/facebook or live reporting constantly taking place. Some of the stories from that era would make the modern day players look like saints. The media for the most part did not report on anything they saw that was damaging to the club or players reputation. Just playing devils advocate!

seanbaseball
07-24-2016, 12:59 PM
They also did not have twitter/facebook or live reporting constantly taking place. Some of the stories from that era would make the modern day players look like saints. The media for the most part did not report on anything they saw that was damaging to the club or players reputation. Just playing devils advocate!

Excellent point! Didn't think of that.

emann
07-24-2016, 02:48 PM
Bonus: he saved Topps some time and gave them an idea their newest subset of relic cards.

emann
07-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Really though, almost every time I see Sale's name in a story, it makes him seem like a surly jerk. Pressure/ego getting him maybe?

Stanley
07-24-2016, 04:00 PM
He makes over $4000 a pitch.
I'd wear a suit of armor as a uniform for that. You could even throw a poisnous snake in there with me.

sox83cubs84
07-24-2016, 04:26 PM
I lost a lot of respect for this guy after this stunt. His tantrum reminds me of the snowflake college students in our universities who whine and take offense anytime someone offers a thought contrary to their own views. I wonder where Sale's "safe space" will be before he's eligible to return on Thursday?

Dave Miedema

Phil316
07-24-2016, 04:43 PM
I wonder where Sale's "safe space" will be before he's eligible to return on Thursday?

Dave Miedema

A new team ?

Juicyfruit66
07-25-2016, 12:08 AM
They should make him pitch his next game in this

jake33
07-25-2016, 02:32 PM
This story reminds me of something I saw first hand at a Rays throwback game in June 2007.....

The Rays were playing the Dodgers, and the Rays were wearing flannel St. Pete Saints jerseys. I owed one of those game used uniforms, and I can attest those specific Saints jerseys were very boxy and tight in the arms. Anyways, during warm ups for the Game, I saw Scott Kazmir working in the bullpen down the 1st base side and he looked very uncomfortable in the uniform. Kazmir said something to a nearby assistant, the assistant ran into the clubhouse and another individual came out to talk to Kazmir, at this point Kazmir got off the bullpen mound and had words with the assitants. Both assistants tried to make some makeshift adjustments to the jersey, in particular the left arm area. After no avail, one of the assistants took out a scissors started cutting under the left jersey arm area, to make the jersey not as tight and boxy by the arm. Even after the cutting Kazmir looked annoyed and displeased with the uniform he was wearing. The incident didn't escalate into anything larger, but I am sure that uniform was something Kazmir wanted to wear by being the starting pitcher that day.

camarokids
07-25-2016, 03:36 PM
I lost a lot of respect for this guy after this stunt. His tantrum reminds me of the snowflake college students in our universities who whine and take offense anytime someone offers a thought contrary to their own views. I wonder where Sale's "safe space" will be before he's eligible to return on Thursday?

Dave Miedema

I agree! Maybe he will hide out in the janitor's closet?

TBM
07-25-2016, 10:04 PM
Lol.......

sox83cubs84
07-25-2016, 10:26 PM
They should make him pitch his next game in this

But I don't WANNA be a pirate!

Dave M.