PDA

View Full Version : Please help.Question about X-Bats

jon_8_us
02-05-2007, 12:08 PM
I have a Manny Ramirez game used X-Bat(pics provided)that i'm about to send out to PSA/DNA.My question is do all X-Bats or any at all have the weight measurements written by hand at the top of the bat?This bat has "32" which is consistent with Manny's preferences in weight.But it also appears to have other numbers written in much duller silver underneath the 32.Any ideas or answers out there?
Jon

jon_8_us
02-05-2007, 12:12 PM
And to stop the people from saying this bat is a retail cause of the Dominican flag:

jon_8_us
02-05-2007, 01:02 PM
And one last thing.Derek Lowe was #32 in the years this bat was possibly used and the bat is hammered Manny style so i doubt the "32" is a uniform number
jon

jon_8_us
02-05-2007, 01:23 PM
And this post is now useless i have done the necessary research and found out that yes X-Bat writes the weight of the bat on the top right down to 1/10 of an ounce.The numbers underneath say 31.8 and i guess Manny or the equiptment manager just rounded it up.Sorry for the waste of a post.Enjoy the pics
Jon

suave1477
02-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Jon I am curious by looking at your pics provided.

Under the #32, looks like there is a faded upside down #25 - what does the #25 stand for?

jon_8_us
02-05-2007, 03:17 PM
The faded number 58 could be a 85 or a 25.It's hard to tell.I have also scoured the spring training and regular season rosters from 2002-2003 and looking for those numbers i have come up with Bry Nelson 20 games at 2B 2002 and Jeremy Giambi 127 AB's 2003.I don't know about Nelson but i do know that Giambi used a criss cross tape job on a two-tone Sam bat in every picture i have seen of him as a member of the Red Sox and quite a few as a member of the A's and Phillies.This bat is hammered in the Manny zone and Giambi wouldn't have the use in that area.I'm sending it in to PSA so i guess i'll find out about this bat in a week or so.
Jon

gameused
02-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Jon I am curious by looking at your pics provided.

Under the #32, looks like there is a faded upside down #25 - what does the #25 stand for?

The #25 is a uniform number which belonged to Ellis Burks in 2004.

The X-bat is from the 2004 season. The number 25 was most likely written by a clubhouse person, what I noticed about the way number 2 is written on the X-bat is that I have several Manny Ramirez game used bats from the 2004 season and the same clubbie that wrote 25 on the Manny X-bat wrote the the number 24 on several of my 2004 Manny Ramirez bats (see the below 2004 knob pic)

Checking getty images I found a couple of photos of Ellis Burks hitting with the label up, the same way Manny hits, so the ballmarks should be concentrated in the same area as most Manny Red Sox game used bats.

This bat was most likely used by Ellis Burks as Red Sox players sometimes try other players bats. What is written on the opposite end of the bat?

Bobby

suave1477
02-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Jon I dont know, it looks pretty clear to be #25 from your pics.

jon_8_us
02-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Yes after looking at the evidence it is a 25,When pondering Bobby's info and inspecting the knob i noticed that the #24 was not permanent marker.So after rubbing over the 24 with my thumb a couple times hard it nearly came right off.Pretty pissed i rub the rest off with my shirt pretty easily.I have before and after pics but didn't think to take a pic of the smudged number.When i bought this bat the seller guaranteed me another Manny bat if this one didn't pass PSA/DNA which i was gonna do tomorrow.The seller is quite helpful and friendly and in no way dishonest.I believe he just didn't see the knob in the same light i did.Below the rubbed off number there is no other number.There are still some Many traits on this bat that keep me guessing.The knob and lower handle have the minor cleat markings that my good Manny's have,the left side of the barrel is hammered more than any bat i have seen although there are a few seam marks on the right side as well.Also the pine tar application on this bat is obnoxious which is a Manny trait not a Burks one.It's hard to see the use in the pictures because of the bat color and my camera could be better but in person it is immense use.Also the bat is broken but nicely repaired.Is this bat worth sending to PSA for 120$?Thanks for the advice Bobby.
jon