PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Flip Sunglasses

flaco1801
07-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Does anyone have any information about the vintage flip up/ down sunglasses worn in the 60s/70s...Does anybody own a pair? Who made them? where they good quality polarized glasses?...I do remember the equiptment guy run onto the field with a tray for the player to choose his preference....Jeff

flaco1801
07-18-2016, 01:48 PM
For those that took the time to read the post...I received them today...They are very sturdy and im sure, polarized....The flip down tab actually is a screw to remove/ replace the lens...If anybody cares...

both-teams-played-hard
07-18-2016, 07:39 PM
I used to own a pair. Very good quality. Don't remember the mfg.

This website is about the whole concept:
http://www.stack.com/a/baseball-sunglasses

G1X
07-19-2016, 11:11 AM
I have a pair of "flip-down" sunglasses worn by Darren Lewis when he was with the Giants (1991 to 1995). The manufacturer is Tiger Eyes. I also have a pair that I used when I was playing amateur league baseball in the 1990s and 2000s, but those do not have a manufacturer listed anywhere on the frames. Both are well-made and appear to be polarized. For what it's worth, I could never get the hang of using them and they were uncomfortable on the bridge of my nose when I flipped them down while chasing a fly ball. It was much easier for me just to leave them down all the time, and I eventually switched to traditional sports sunglasses.

Mark Hayne
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Darren Lewis game-worn items

flaco1801
07-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Thanks Warren and Mark...I too was never fluid using them...Some claim that leaving them up and just tipping the brim was the proper way to use them...They are well made...