PDA

View Full Version : What's happening with Mets game used outlets?

Swoboda4
07-06-2016, 07:28 AM
I would say for at least a month now MLB's Mets auction site has not offered new /current items like they have been doing every Sunday since the later part of last year. Coupled with the Amaz'n Memorabilia Kiosk at Citi Field looking more like a souvenir stand than a game used store I'm now more interested as to the real reason. As we were told they are conducting furious inventory changes; hopefully to another vendor who can put things back on track.

Mattapan03
07-06-2016, 10:42 AM
I would say for at least a month now MLB's Mets auction site has not offered new /current items like they have been doing every Sunday since the later part of last year. Coupled with the Amaz'n Memorabilia Kiosk at Citi Field looking more like a souvenir stand than a game used store I'm now more interested as to the real reason. As we were told they are conducting furious inventory changes; hopefully to another vendor who can put things back on track.

You sound like a junkie going through withdrawal ;)

It's indeed strange. The only response Ive gotten from them is the standard, "we are still re-doing our inventory" line....whatever that means. I guess we just have to wait it out

yanks12025
07-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Here is the reply they sent me the other day.

We are still holding all game used items. However; we can put you in for a request and once we are able to sell game used items we will reach out to you regarding baseballs. If there is anything else we can do for you just let us know.

Swoboda4
07-06-2016, 11:43 AM
You're right, I am a junkie going through withdrawals. I would have paid someone a lot of money to find that out😳! It's like I'm standing on the corner only to find my seller got locked up the night before🚔.

truvalue123
07-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Hopefully not to another vendor who will just add additional costs to the collectors...Hopefully they are telling us the truth...

lengthwise1
07-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Hopefully not to another vendor who will just add additional costs to the collectors...Hopefully they are telling us the truth...

my thoughts exactly, another hand to feed in the line of supply will not help any of us...

metsbats
07-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Maybe they are putting the process in place to avoid selling another major piece of Mets history by mistake again?

coxfan
07-07-2016, 04:52 AM
Of course, you can try to buy from other teams who have played the Mets. The Braves, at gameusedstore@braves.com may have some items, including authenticated balls, from Mets' games in Atlanta. They may also have dugout lineup cards even from games played in New York.

Swoboda4
07-12-2016, 06:25 AM
Has anyone been the Mets Amaz'n Memorabilia kiosk at CitiField last home stand? Is it back filled with game used items or are they still in "inventory mode"?

truvalue123
07-12-2016, 07:02 AM
as of Thursday, still no game used...I didn't even bother asking..but, they still are keeping 3 people in the stand..and, they don't need 3 without GU.. Team doesn't return to 7/25, so, hopefully they have it all figured out by then...

Swoboda4
07-12-2016, 07:34 AM
Thanks truvalue123. I complain about the Mets G/U situation, but then I visited Washington's MLB auction site recently and saw less than what the Mets were offering. Given that everything is hologramed these days what are they doing with their items?; or do some teams not care and use their jerseys etc everyday like the old days?

Mattapan03
07-12-2016, 10:13 AM
The Nats game used stuff is usually slim pickins. I think they unload a lot of stuff after the season with their fan fests and stuff.

I'm annoyed by the Mets situation too. Something serious has to be going on behind the scenes. Even if they were re-doing inventory....no way in the world that takes over 6 weeks.

truvalue123
07-12-2016, 03:37 PM
They haven't reduced their staffing , though, for the games which would seem like it will be coming back..all very odd...

Swoboda4
07-12-2016, 10:42 PM
So obviously, this being a month later, they lied with the inventory story.

carbonrosa
07-13-2016, 12:07 AM
What I believe happens is most teams rely on people contacting them first through emails or phone calls to purchase a lot of their game used items. The rest of the items that don't sell right away or if the team believes an item can fetch a higher premium then goes to auction. I believe the stores are more for show trying to feed of the people who have that impulse buying disease at the games who are willing to pay for that special memory of that day.

Case in point, every day I follow the players I collect with either watching the game or following with my MLB at bat app. If I notice a Home Run ball that falls back on the field or lands in the bull pen, I email that team right away asking if they were able to authenticate it. Rarely do they not get back to me. Most of the time they will either say "sorry we were not able to get that one" or Yes we got it, we want this much for it". On 7/5 Paul Goldschmidt hit a Home run of the center field wall. I emailed the Diamond backs right after the game and then they sent me this email:

"Devin - We received the Goldschmidt homerun game-used baseball. This item retails for $. Please let us know before 3PM today if you would like to purchase. If we do not hear back from you, we will make this item available for sale to the next person on the waitlist". I called and I'm waiting for the ball to be shipped.

This happens to me a lot, especially with the Brewers, Blue Jays, Tigers , Rockies, Marlins and Nationals just to name a few. Not just with baseballs, but with Jerseys or bats too. I'm sure most of you on here have that trusted source to get those amazing items you display here on the site.

I would add the Mets to this list but they are so disorganized over there I'm surprised they sell anything at all. I emailed them numerous times with no reply to then go to a game (since I'm right there in Queens) and ask them what gives. I get the same crap ever time "we didn't receive an email from you" to them saying "we'll send you our inventory list out to you right away". It took another week to get that list for them to not reply to any of my emails. Not to mention when I go to a game and ask what they got from that nights game to only here "our computers are down" or "we won't know until tomorrow, email us". I've given up with them. I do know the only home run balls they can get must go back on the field. They are not allowed to grab balls in Citi Field that land by the apple or into the bullpens. Some teams like the Tigers can roam where ever they want it seams, while teams like the Marlins are not allowed to grab home runs in the shrub area. I remember seeing Harper hit one that landed in front of the first line of shrubs in right-center. They were not allowed to grab it, I was like "it's right there, I've been staring at it on t.v. for the past 4 innings, just go grab it"!!

Swoboda4
07-13-2016, 07:32 PM
carbonrosa, great info thank you. You know, I think the next thing to do is to contact mlb authenticators (they have a twitter page) and find out where do they hand over the stuff they hologram??...... Obviously the Mets are forced by MLB to sell game used stuff because if they wanted to sell this stuff they wouldn't do it with this type of indifference.

lengthwise1
07-14-2016, 03:05 PM
anyone know if the Mets got a special ball approved to use on 7/30?

I hope so...

lakeerie92
07-14-2016, 10:00 PM
anyone know if the Mets got a special ball approved to use on 7/30?

I hope so...

I was told they wouldn't be doing another Piazza ball, but that doesn't mean much.

If I am putting my guess in on what is happing with the Mets memorabilia I will say they are deep into talks transitioning to being run by Fanatics Authentic. Just a guess though.

Mattapan03
07-15-2016, 02:48 PM
I was told they wouldn't be doing another Piazza ball, but that doesn't mean much.

If I am putting my guess in on what is happing with the Mets memorabilia I will say they are deep into talks transitioning to being run by Fanatics Authentic. Just a guess though.

That is exactly my thought as well. They dont even bother picking up their phones anymore...and email returns have been less and less frequent. Annoying.

truvalue123
07-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Fanatics Stinks

metsbats
07-18-2016, 02:41 PM
I would give them more time to get their inventory into shape. I don't believe the Mets would outsource their game used. they have a small staff and the volume of stuff coming in from spring training and now the regular season it's probably better they stop the ship now and get the inventory in order. I am sure things will be better after the changes are implemented.

truvalue123
07-18-2016, 03:48 PM
David, you have a close relationship with them and hopefully what you say is true..but, I was told no new system, just a recount...so, if this is the case, why not count all the bats, for example, and, release them..they are missing on valuable selling days as inventory accumulates..if the decide to go outside prices will get silly and inventory will build further.
Just wondering if Pads and Rangers sell at the stadium, and, does their product get sold outside of Fanatics usual web sites?
Cheers

GreatWhite
07-18-2016, 06:40 PM
I wish the Padres would sell outside of fanatics there would be more stock available. The bad thing with fanatics I don't think mlb gives them a lot of options like some other teams

truvalue123
07-18-2016, 11:04 PM
Great White, would you expand on the topic?
To me, it looks like they sell very little overall..But, if that is the case, where is it all going?
Do the Pads sell anything direct? Does Fanatics run a stand at the stadium?
The DBacks are another team that intrigues me...plenty of uniform styles through the years and plenty of players, yet, very little in secondary market..they keep direct prices elevated, and, auction some stuff..they also have mystery sales..but, inventory doesn't show up on eBay or auction houses..where does it go? Mets inventory on jerseys was back over 1 000 early in the year after they got everything from last year, and, started to get new stuff this year...

lengthwise1
07-22-2016, 07:33 PM
Fanatics does have kiosks at Petco, I saw them back in April

GreatWhite
07-23-2016, 12:48 AM
mlb supposedly doesn't give the padres a lot to sell compared to what i have seen in other stadiums. and yes fanatics runs the padres. i have yet to find any other source for padre items if there is one i definitely would love to get in contact with them

300X30
07-28-2016, 05:17 AM
As of yesterday the auctions are back up. I was at the game last night and the kiosk is full. They appear to be completely back in business.
Apparently the inventory story was true.

lengthwise1
07-28-2016, 01:15 PM
good to hear, flying in tonight to catch fri-sun, looking forward to checking some stuff out.

Swoboda4
07-28-2016, 06:23 PM
As of yesterday the auctions are back up. I was at the game last night and the kiosk is full. They appear to be completely back in business.
Apparently the inventory story was true.

Thank you 300x30. and- , I stand corrected.

Thunderhead51
07-31-2016, 09:07 AM
It's true, they are back up and running but asking about anything that's NOT upstairs is almost looked down upon. I asked about a players jersey who they routinely sell in the 4 figures. They said they had it and I told them on the spot if they could send one of the 5 guys they have working that area downstairs to grab it, I would buy it on the spot. They said they couldn't do that. Last season I watched one guy get 3 D'Arnaud jerseys and a bat brought up for him when he walked up to the kiosk and asked; granted he might have talked with someone earlier in the week and they had something set aside for him but try doing that now! For all I know it's probably someone on this board too! I asked who I could talk to about acquiring a couple items they've admitted to having (but don't have upstairs in the kiosk) and got another name of someone to contact but at this point I don't expect much. Does anyone have a good line of communication with anyone over there that was able to get a transaction taken care of on items that were not immediately in a kiosk showcase or rack?

There were Piazza logo balls used in last nights game. The list at the kiosk was 40 people long by the time I got over to it and prices started at $200. The likelihood that they were going to get 40 balls from the game was super slim but they said if I left my name and email they'd send me the list; that of course lead me to asking why I try to contact anyone I don't get a response back. The guy's answer; who wouldn't even look me in the eye by the way; was that their "inventory was down". Ok, we've heard that one for weeks now but is it really that impossible to hit the reply button or call me back with a simple "sorry but we're re-doing our inventory right now but we'll send you the new list as soon as it's ready. Thanks for your interest." It's basic customer service that this team just completely lacks. OK, I'm off the soap box now but it wasn't a total loss; I came home with a wad of cash in my pocket! :D How many of us can say that after a visit to Citi Field?!

Juicyfruit66
07-31-2016, 10:34 AM
You and pete rose after a reds loss....thafs about it

lengthwise1
07-31-2016, 10:14 PM
I had a very positive experience with them all weekend. On Fri I grabbed a Cespedes BP hat for only $50 and a Thor game rosin bag. I worked with a guy Ryan who was beyond nice and helpful. I wanted a Thor hat and he said he would take my number and text me before Sats game. He got me the hat from the Royal Giants game and I picked it up Sat. Sounds like I may have a Piazza ball coming from the Piazza game and I grabbed a game ready Piazza ball today. Maybe call and ask for him or ask for him at your next game. He was super friendly and very helpful and I certainly weren't buying any big name jerseys.

They wanted 2500 for thor and 2000 for matz from sat, pretty steep for a game worn bench jersey. On a side note, the Piazza patch was on with very strong adhesive, I don't think it was sewn because patches were removed some jerseys and being sold for $100.

grandeleague
08-07-2016, 07:09 PM
What did the mets charge for david wright camo jerseys when they had them for sale?

Swoboda4
08-08-2016, 06:25 PM
If you're asking about mine from 8/31/15 it was from the MLB.com/Mets auction. I ended up in a bidding war and got it-incidental fees included- for $1,200. $1,200 is what also comes to mind when I remember Wright G/U jersey prices at CitiField kiosk anyway.

grandeleague
08-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Thanks. I was asking because it seems they carry a slight premium over his other colored uniforms.

lengthwise1
08-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Based on what I saw Piazza weekend, they want $2500 for Thor, Cespedes & DeGrom and $2000 for Matz. I didn't see any Wright's for sale...

Mattapan03
08-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Based on how things have been done in the past, either the Wright jersey's have already been collected for the season and sold, or they are still in his locker and will collect them all later in the season or at the conclusion of the year.

Swoboda4
08-09-2016, 03:09 PM
In February of this year I won from MLB auctions a game "issued" batting practice jersey of David Wright's for $400. I noticed in their photo of the item, the "G" wasn't sewn evenly, along with a thread sticking out on the bottom of the "R" in WRIGHT (NOB). I matched the thread to the 2015 postseason and World Series photos on Getty and then bid aggressively based on this. When the jersey arrived there was also a pull in the material on the left sleeve that also was matched to the postseason. So even a game issued may turn out to be used.

lengthwise1
08-09-2016, 06:28 PM
nice score!