PDA

View Full Version : Game-Used NFL football, or not? Your thoughts...

BrianRichards
06-20-2016, 03:58 PM
I recently acquired this ball, which is obviously a presentation ball given to the player, but I also have a sneaking suspicion it is the actual game-used ball used on the interception play it commemorates. I am not able to photo-match it, and obviously it has been painted/altered, but it shows a decent amount of wear, and it is stamped "Redskins", which indicates to me it was originally a Redskins offensive ball. I can't see why the Vikings would have had a Washington ball in their possession to paint for the player in commemoration of the play, unless it was the actual interception ball and they saved it for Raymond to paint and give to him, since it was his first career interception.

Your thoughts???

COWBOYS4EVR
06-20-2016, 08:23 PM
IMO, I would have to say it possibly could be the intercepted ball.
Date code on the ball is DO for the ball was made in Nov of 2011.
Then if it was the intercepted ball, then it would have the Redskins stamp an that's possibly why the Vikings have it.

Nice catch

BrianRichards
06-20-2016, 09:17 PM
Yeah, that's exactly my train of thought, as well. The neat thing is, it wasn't an online find, I found it at a local flea market outlet here in Minnesota! Love finding stuff the old-fashioned way, by doing the "leg-work".

Juicyfruit66
06-20-2016, 09:25 PM
Dude! That's an amazing flea market find!

Samets
06-21-2016, 07:03 AM
Nice find! Congrats!

DrJ
06-21-2016, 12:10 PM
IMO it's the intercepted ball - congrats on that find!

I love your story...I found a few items this week at the flea market - rare, but it does still happen and it's so exciting when it does!

My finds were a late 80's (early 90's) Maryland Terrapins football helmet...great use with player name on back in dynotape. I also found 2 NHL game used hockey sticks from a player named C. Rivet and the other was Lehtinen(?)...I know nothing about hockey but they were cheap, so why not

Phil316
06-21-2016, 05:16 PM
I also found 2 NHL game used hockey sticks from a player named C. Rivet and the other was Lehtinen(?)...I know nothing about hockey but they were cheap, so why not

Craig Rivet and i bet Jere Lehtinen

DrJ
06-22-2016, 12:08 PM
That is correct - thank you.

They are taped on the blade and have some tape on the handles - one is a Louisville and one a Bauer. We don't have a NHL team within 300 miles of where I found these, so you just never know what will pop up.

P.S. - sorry for hijacking the thread, didn't mean too, just exciting how you found that ball!

BrianRichards
06-22-2016, 06:48 PM
That's a nice story yourself on finding those sticks... I recognized Lehtinen's name right away! Nice thing about the football is I only paid $75 for it... A full-blown "Duke" ball, minus the connection to the Vikings player and possible game-used history, would be $100 minimum just by itself. I was able to work a pretty good deal on it, I felt.

BrianRichards
07-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Here is a video link of the play I believe my football was a part of:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d82561032/Vikings-defense-INT