PDA

View Full Version : Question About Braves Jersey......

kylehess10
02-03-2007, 09:04 PM
I picked up an odd Braves jersey today at the Winter Fanfest. It's a George Lombard game worn away jersey, tagged 2-02 (set 2,year 2002 if I am not mistaken). According to baseball-reference.com, Lombard played for the Tigers in 2002 and nothing came up about him playing for the Braves that year. His last year in Atlanta was 2000, then he wasn't in the majors in 2001 then came back with the Tigers in 2002. Is there any explanation for this?

lon lewis
02-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Kylehess10

according to baseball reference.com George Lombard was traded from the Braves to the Tigers 6/19/02 . What you probably have is a jersey that was ordered for Lombard in case he made the team in the 02 season.

kylehess10
02-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Kylehess10

according to baseball reference.com George Lombard was traded from the Braves to the Tigers 6/19/02 . What you probably have is a jersey that was ordered for Lombard in case he made the team in the 02 season.

So it wasn't even worn by him you're saying?

skipcareyisfat
02-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Kyle,
Sounds like I missed out on a good fanfest this year. Congrats on the nice pickups! Lombard was actually traded to the Tigers on June 19, 2002. Ironically the Braves were playing the Tigers in Atlanta that day. At the time, Lombard was on the major league roster with Atlanta, although I guess he never got an ab with them. If I recall correctly, he was traded during batting practice and ended up taking BP wearing both uniforms. Weird. You should be able to find a story about it. Good luck.
Jason

kylehess10
02-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Kyle,
Sounds like I missed out on a good fanfest this year. Congrats on the nice pickups! Lombard was actually traded to the Tigers on June 19, 2002. Ironically the Braves were playing the Tigers in Atlanta that day. At the time, Lombard was on the major league roster with Atlanta, although I guess he never got an ab with them. If I recall correctly, he was traded during batting practice and ended up taking BP wearing both uniforms. Weird. You should be able to find a story about it. Good luck.
Jason

Very neat story, but sucks though knowing that it isn't game used. Welll atleast it's my first game issued jersey I own

kylehess10
02-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Wait, I think I'm a little confused here. If George Lombard was with the Braves during batting practice that day when he was traded to the Tigers, then wouldn't that mean that he still wore this jersey, but just not play in it? There are tons of loose threads on the inner part of the jersey, so it does look worn.

LWMM
02-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Wait, I think I'm a little confused here. If George Lombard was with the Braves during batting practice that day when he was traded to the Tigers, then wouldn't that mean that he still wore this jersey, but just not play in it? There are tons of loose threads on the inner part of the jersey, so it does look worn.

BP jerseys are different from regular jerseys, often made of a mesh like material. On another note if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

kylehess10
02-04-2007, 10:01 PM
BP jerseys are different from regular jerseys, often made of a mesh like material. On another note if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

I do realize that it isn't a BP jersey, but what I am saying is that if he was in BP, then that means he would be there for the game too, so he must've worn a jersey. btw- What's your e-mail address?

LWMM
02-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I do realize that it isn't a BP jersey, but what I am saying is that if he was in BP, then that means he would be there for the game too, so he must've worn a jersey. btw- What's your e-mail address?

I think the explanation above was that Lombard wore his Braves BP jersey, then switched into a Tigers BP jersey, bypassing the regular Atlanta one.

Also, come to think of it it is an away jersey---if he had worn a regular jersey that day (in Atlanta), it would have been a home jersey.

Luc.Mitchell@gmail.com

possum
02-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Lombard played in AA Greenville and AAA Richmond in 02 before he was traded. He was the 5th OF that year (behind Andruw, Chipper, Shef and Darren Bragg) and may even have been called up on and off without playing. He was on the 40 man roster for at least the last two years he was with the Braves org and they surely had jerseys made for him. Based on the set tag it doesn't look like it was washed much, so its probably just one they had in case one of the big guys got injured.