PDA

View Full Version : Another Bryce Harper Article!!

jbean023
05-29-2016, 04:02 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2642753-bryce-harper-cuts-up-batting-gloves-in-dugout-so-nobody-can-sell-them-on-ebay

I'm guessing Boras has a little to do with this, maybe brain washing Bryce a little. I understand not wanting people to make money off your name but give them to a kid or get a game used agent to make money for yourself. It's not like Bryce is hurting for money, let the bat boy make a couple hundred off your name or the guy that washes your jock strap, give them to a charity, or have someone sell your game used items to start a college fund for kids that need it, I mean do something besides cut them up. During a game you shouldn't be thinking about cutting up batting gloves, your head should be in the game. Plus now that this made headlines if someone grabs the cut up gloves they will sell for more than the original batting gloves.

Kris Bryant seems like a good dude on and off the field, when he was signing for a charity he stopped after so many and mentioned something about his agent (Scott Boras) limiting him so he couldn't sign anymore for free.

I'm hoping in the next CBA game used items are addressed. Ive talked with a few folks that work in MLB and some folks that work authentics. Making money off a player is becoming a big issue, the thing is minus cleats, batting gloves, and fielding gloves 99% of the other items are bought by the team. Ive been told stories of guys breaking a bat, going out for the next half inning and when they get back in the dugout asking where their bat is. In this case if its not a 1st hit, 1st hr, or milestone play the game and quit crying. One story that I was told would irritate me if I was a player, a catcher came in from a road trip to find all his catchers gear missing. The clubhouse attendant told him we got all new gear for you, which he didn't want. Then his wife text him that his gear was for sale in the team shop. Something that is form fitting and broke in I would be irritated if someone took it without asking but some teams are ruthless. I remember reading articles about this being a big issue with Bonds and his bats back in the day but now its multiple guys on each team.

CampWest
05-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Man... Topps and card collectors are just drooling now. Thats what they love, is seeing game used gear cut up into tiny pieces.

Buccaneer Madden
05-29-2016, 01:14 PM
I can kind of see where he is coming from. I am guessing his entire teenage / adult life he has people asking for everything he has touched so they can sell it and after enough time I bet you would get sick of it. They are his gloves and if he doesn't want anyone to have them he can destroy them. If the batboy wants to have money tell him to go to the batting cage and learn to hit like Bryce.

TBM
05-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Funny thing is he is shooting himself in the foot. The fewer the items of his that are out there the higher the price they will sell for. Therefore the more money someone will make off of him. Also being that the price is so high for his stuff, the more it will be forged and the more people will loose money for worthless junk all because its associated with his name. He is making forgers happy and wealthy by creating a market specifically for them. Also unless he puts the items in a bin and burns them to ashes there will always be bits and pieces taken from the trash, again shooting himself in the foot.

On the other hand if he flooded the market with his authentic items prices would bottom out and his stuff would go for super cheap and people would not really make anything off of his name.

In my opinion he is no different than Eli Manning and the Giants putting out forgeries themselves. As for me, I would not spend a dime on anything reportedly to be his because it's most likely a forgery.

But I would also agree he has the right to do whatever he wants with his personal items and more power to him to do just that.

Phil316
05-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Good read thanks for the link.

Maybe he will stop wearing batting gloves all together and he won't have to go that extra mile.

BirdsOnBat
05-29-2016, 03:38 PM
There are a many many worthwhile charities out there.

Juicyfruit66
05-29-2016, 06:52 PM
Here's my thoughts: I'm lucky enough to do a job many adults hate but little kids think is cool. It makes my day to see kids with their parents and see their eyes light up when I give them stickers. I can't imagine an mlb player not wanting his used gear to go to charity or to personally hand over stuff to child fans at games. He cuts up his gloves instead of giving them to a kid who would remember the moment forever? He's obviously hoarding stuff and is going great lengths to make sure it ends up being super rare.

These guys are so far removed from reality that they are cutting up gloves? Pathetic.

helf35
05-29-2016, 09:10 PM
I remember hearing about AJ Pierzynski cutting his number and name off of his chest protectors that were embroidered. Good player but doubtful anyone is making bank by selling AJ gear unless it was from the World Series game.

Cut up in the garbage he gets no $. If somebody takes it out of the garbage and sells it on eBay he gets no $. Why the hell does he really care. Why not just have the bat boy hold on to them until after the game and he can donate them or take them to a children's hospital. Shredded in the trash seems most logical I guess.

Vintagedeputy
05-31-2016, 09:36 PM
Harper can do whatever he wants with his property..........but....

He is going to make a bajillion dollars in his career and he will be the face of the game for the next 15-20 years. Donate your junk to a charity, or the MLB retired players thing where these older guys didnt make a dime compared to today's million dollar contracts. Be happy that people want your stuff. You are getting paid buku bucks to play a kid's game. I'd give my left nut to play in one inning of major league baseball, just to be able to say that I was there. Don't get so full of yourself that you forget about people with real jobs, putting their lives on the line. Throw a batting glove to a little kid, dammit.

lengthwise1
06-01-2016, 02:39 PM
Here's my thoughts: I'm lucky enough to do a job many adults hate but little kids think is cool. It makes my day to see kids with their parents and see their eyes light up when I give them stickers. I can't imagine an mlb player not wanting his used gear to go to charity or to personally hand over stuff to child fans at games. He cuts up his gloves instead of giving them to a kid who would remember the moment forever? He's obviously hoarding stuff and is going great lengths to make sure it ends up being super rare.

These guys are so far removed from reality that they are cutting up gloves? Pathetic.

Agreed, maybe he should just focus on hitting the ball....

Juicyfruit66
06-01-2016, 09:01 PM
I bet you he's destroying items because him and his agent are hoarding other ones that they know will now become extra valuable.

I'm not sure I agree with the "more power to him" as only a jerk would cut up gloves instead of finding an 8 year old in the stands and making his day. Its a douchey move. I guess money and fame gets to you, you start cutting up gloves out of some weird belief others will benefit off you and by handing ur gloves out to a fan will cause the universe to implode. These guys forget that 8 year oldks dad pays their salary by buying tickets to see them play

yanks12025
06-02-2016, 04:44 AM
So if you guys were rich and famous would you be happy with people picking your stuff out of the trash just to sell it? And it does happen to Harper. A forum member posted last year about picking s pair of his sunglasses out of the trash and then put them on eBay.

metsbats
06-02-2016, 05:34 AM
He's only making 5 million dollars a year at this point in his career. Perhaps when he becomes baseball's first 400 to 500 million dollar man he will lighten up:rolleyes:

jbean023
06-02-2016, 08:59 AM
So if you guys were rich and famous would you be happy with people picking your stuff out of the trash just to sell it? And it does happen to Harper. A forum member posted last year about picking s pair of his sunglasses out of the trash and then put them on eBay.

No if I was a player that had items desirable by fans I'd give some away to fans, my family/friends, some to a historian or museum for safekeeping to preserve history, keep some, and give the rest to charities it's a pretty simple concept. To be thinking about cutting up BATTING GLOVES DURING a game is ridiculous, I hope next time he cuts his finger and misses a few weeks I'd love to see the press on that. He and many others need to wake up and realize without fans he's back in college finishing his degree for most likely a job that's going to pay him under 200,000 a year.

yanks12025
06-02-2016, 10:16 AM
No if I was a player that had items desirable by fans I'd give some away to fans, my family/friends, some to a historian or museum for safekeeping to preserve history, keep some, and give the rest to charities it's a pretty simple concept. To be thinking about cutting up BATTING GLOVES DURING a game is ridiculous, I hope next time he cuts his finger and misses a few weeks I'd love to see the press on that. He and many others need to wake up and realize without fans he's back in college finishing his degree for most likely a job that's going to pay him under 200,000 a year.

I think it's ridiculous that you hope for harm on someone because of a batting glove.

yanks12025
06-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Also there have been many articles about him giving bats to fans or bats to college players to use.

lengthwise1
06-02-2016, 10:49 AM
How many batting gloves are really out there for most players anyway, not many. Focus on the game, jeez...

STLHAMMER32
06-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Also there have been many articles about him giving bats to fans or bats to college players to use.

And he used to throw batting gloves in the trash. It's likely if he is cutting up gloves now that he probably will no longer be handing out game models as gifts. You have to wonder how many of his bats were given as gifts and later sold as game used. Someone is likely in his ear about his memorabilia unless he is personally paying attention to what is sold online...it will be interesting to see how his items are handled down the road. He has alot of years left and gear that will be stocked up and hoarded or destroyed apparently.

lengthwise1
06-02-2016, 12:56 PM
You have to wonder how many of his bats were given as gifts and later sold as game used.

I remember people questioning the authenticity of bats on a few occasions over the last few years due to this.

I could be wrong, but its not like he is trolling ebay, its gotta come from the Boras camp...

Juicyfruit66
06-02-2016, 01:02 PM
If someone went through the garbage and sold my used sunglasses for large sum, I'd say to myself "I'm grateful I have so many fans who will pay for souvenirs of my greatness" . That's what a normal grounded person would think. A self centered greedy multi millionaire would say "how can I stop people making money off my garbage?".

metsbats
06-06-2016, 07:15 PM
David Ortiz on how to properly dispose of unwanted batting gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa2SxPkPi3E

Phil316
06-06-2016, 09:06 PM
I could be wrong, but its not like he is trolling ebay, its gotta come from the Boras camp...

That is bang on. Scott Boras owns Boras Marketing as well, a subsidy of the Boras Corporation. Boras marketing handles stuff like memorabilia, marketing and endorsements. So its a pretty good guess that it is coming from them.

Phil316
06-06-2016, 09:07 PM
David Ortiz on how to properly dispose of unwanted batting gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa2SxPkPi3E

Not all players have class ;)

BirdsOnBat
06-07-2016, 06:29 AM
Again, I can't imagine the Nats don't have some sort of charity fund. Seems like a win-win situation to just donate. He can obviously do whatever he wants, but I find it odd his handlers would not just tell him to donate any unwanted items to charity for the good public look as well as actually helping worthy causes.

truvalue123
06-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Gotta say I chuckled at this...that is a heck of a great paying job for post graduation..."he's back in college finishing his degree for most likely a job that's going to pay him under 200,000 a year."

lengthwise1
06-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Not all players have class ;)

exactly, hate the sox, but Papi is class all the way, take note Bryce...

Phil316
06-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Again, I can't imagine the Nats don't have some sort of charity fund. Seems like a win-win situation to just donate. He can obviously do whatever he wants, but I find it odd his handlers would not just tell him to donate any unwanted items to charity for the good public look as well as actually helping worthy causes.

I believe they have the The Washington Nationals Dream Foundation.

yanks12025
06-07-2016, 06:11 PM
exactly, hate the sox, but Papi is class all the way, take note Bryce...

I hope your being sarcastic?? Papi has zero class. Do people forget he is a cheater(failed a 2003 drug test), the guy always curses out umpires, if he is given an error instead of a hit during an at-bat he'll complain to the official scorer and MLB and he also goes into roid rage and destroys dugout phones. So please, how is that CLASS.

lengthwise1
06-07-2016, 06:13 PM
I hope your being sarcastic?? Papi has zero class. Do people forget he is a cheater(failed a 2003 drug test), the guy always curses out umpires, if he is given an error instead of a hit during an at-bat he'll complain to the official scorer and MLB and he also goes into roid rage and destroys dugout phones. So please, how is that CLASS.

class in that moment, thought we were discussing batting gloves...

GreatWhite
06-07-2016, 06:13 PM

HAD THIS DISCUSSION THE OTHER DAY, PEOPLE HATE THE ROCKET BECAUSE HE CHEATED AND COUNTLESS OTHER PLAYERS BUT FORGET ABOUT BIG PAPI

yankees506
06-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Cutting up gloves is pretty rediculous..... Keep using them until they rip or something, I don't get it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/05/19/11-year-old-mets-fan-has-an-amazing-game-of-catch-with-max-scherzer/

But i guess he picks his spots.

Buccaneer Madden
06-07-2016, 08:58 PM
Is he cutting them all up or just that pair? Maybe he struck out and was pissed and cut them up rather than take a bat to the water cooler?

Phil316
06-08-2016, 01:20 AM
class in that moment, thought we were discussing batting gloves...

CLASS as in creating life long memories for those 2 kids. Something they will talk about the rest of their lives.

Is that a Yankee fan calling down a Red Sox player ? LOL

Juicyfruit66
06-08-2016, 12:52 PM
I love how the article specified harper gave the kid a "game ready" bat... His agent prob wanted to make it clear so their hoard of game used bats don't lose their value:)