PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper Jerseys

memorabiliaunlimited
05-22-2016, 01:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15651020/bryce-harper-says-jersey-being-auctioned-not-advertised

read this interesting article. harper will wear the same jersey every game, and for the games where jerseys are being pulled for authentication, he will only wear those jerseys for a few innings before changing into his "lucky" jersey. that would mean that every MLB authenticated jersey of his has only been worn for a few innings each. wondering what peoples thoughts are about this?

yanks12025
05-22-2016, 02:35 PM
It think its cool that he cares so much about that one jersey. He must have some amazing items considering almost nothing of his is available for sale.

lakeerie92
05-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Since this is already posted I was going to mention that this jersey was a jerseys off their backs promotion from the Nationals so I wasn't sure Bryce was right in his assessment. I however wanted to do more research and I do feel that Bryce might have in fact been right. The question then is what was authenticated and presented to the Nationals? Here are my findings:

The angle at which the pine tar made contact with the jersey doesn't match up at all with the jersey listed in the auction. I watched all of the at bats from the game just now on MLB.TV and in my opinion he wore the same jersey the entire game. The pine tar mark across the bottom point of the R in Harper was the first one made. Lastly, the markings from the fight that were left on the left shoulder are black and don't appear on the jersey. There is some possibility the jersey could have been washed, but that wouldn't really fit with a "Jerseys Off Their Backs'" promotion. Even so, the pine tar marks go much further down on the 4 than the one he wore in the game.

Auction listing for the jersey from the Nationals (Sale price $7905)

yanks12025
05-22-2016, 05:38 PM
Since this is already posted I was going to mention that this jersey was a jerseys off their backs promotion from the Nationals so I wasn't sure Bryce was right in his assessment. I however wanted to do more research and I do feel that Bryce might have in fact been right. The question then is what was authenticated and presented to the Nationals? Here are my findings:

The angle at which the pine tar made contact with the jersey doesn't match up at all with the jersey listed in the auction. I watched all of the at bats from the game just now on MLB.TV and in my opinion he wore the same jersey the entire game. The pine tar mark across the bottom point of the R in Harper was the first one made. Lastly, the markings from the fight that were left on the left shoulder are black and don't appear on the jersey. There is some possibility the jersey could have been washed, but that wouldn't really fit with a "Jerseys Off Their Backs'" promotion. Even so, the pine tar marks go much further down on the 4 than the one he wore in the game.

Auction listing for the jersey from the Nationals (Sale price $7905)

Good call on the pine tar not lining up. Lelands had another photo which shows it better that they're not the same jerseys.

yanks12025
05-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Also I wonder if harper might have switched jerseys in the 9th or ran back into the clubhouse after the game and changed??

5toolplayer
05-22-2016, 06:05 PM
This is gonna get interesting to say the least.

lakeerie92
05-22-2016, 06:16 PM
Also I wonder if harper might have switched jerseys in the 9th or ran back into the clubhouse after the game and changed??

Bryce was pulled from the game after the fight, so he never went out for the ninth. I actually know the guy that bought the jersey and he wasn't there to receive it after the game so he had the Nationals ship it to him. He was a customer in San Diego when I was doing the Padres game used but I lost contact with him shortly after this. We had talked about the jersey when he won the auction.

lengthwise1
05-23-2016, 09:06 AM
Interesting for sure, wonder what the big time Harper collectors have to say...

BirdsOnBat
05-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Very interesting article. I imagine all Harper jerseys on the market thus show little to no use.

Phil316
05-23-2016, 02:21 PM
I think this happens more often than we think not only with Harper but others.

allstarsplus
05-25-2016, 07:28 PM
The Washington Post ran this story today that definitely the Lelands jersey was not worn during the fight with Papelbon:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/05/25/bryce-harper-is-right-auction-house-says-listed-jersey-isnt-from-papelbon-fight/

allstarsplus
05-25-2016, 07:29 PM
Bryce was pulled from the game after the fight, so he never went out for the ninth. I actually know the guy that bought the jersey and he wasn't there to receive it after the game so he had the Nationals ship it to him. He was a customer in San Diego when I was doing the Padres game used but I lost contact with him shortly after this. We had talked about the jersey when he won the auction.

I remember you and I talking about him days before the game.

lakeerie92
05-26-2016, 02:45 AM
The Washington Post ran this story today that definitely the Lelands jersey was not worn during the fight with Papelbon:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/05/25/bryce-harper-is-right-auction-house-says-listed-jersey-isnt-from-papelbon-fight/

The Post article talks about some of the same stuff as addressed here, but they push that he wore the jersey for the first at bat, but I am having trouble even believing that. They show a picture after he grounded out during the first at bat and elude to there not being any pine tar on the jersey. The Lelands auction jersey clearly shows pine tar, but there wouldn't have been another opportunity for him to get pine tar from his bat on the jersey after that because he was wearing the fight jersey in his next at bat in the 3rd inning (this can be verified by the pine tar markings). It is a stretch, but the number 4 on the back has the same flex areas in the 1st inning at bat and the 3rd inning at bat. That would then call in the question of authentication.