PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Game Used?

DirtyT
05-17-2016, 01:40 AM
I'm curious as to whether you guys think vintage game used baseball memorabilia has room to grow in value?

I recently came across a Willie Mays game used bat from the early 60's. Has PSA/DNA authentication and is graded a 9. The seller wants about $10,000 for it. Do items like this have room to increase in value or have they just about hit their max, since it's already been roughly 55 years since it was used?

This particular example had me especially interested because Mantle gamers go for $30-$40k. Mays seems very undervalued compared to the Mick. And I know this is mainly because Mantle played for the Yankees and won 7 World Series' and multiple MVP's, but I still find it hard to believe that Mays' stuff is this low in value compared to him.

beaglegypsy003
05-17-2016, 03:11 AM
First rule about collecting is to collect what you like and not about investing. This way you aren't disappointed if the item can't be sold at a profit. You will probably enjoy your collection more rather than worrying if it will appreciate in value. I have over 130 game jerseys in my collection and I would be lucky to break even if I decided to sell them. On the flip side I enjoy collecting and displaying them.

G1X
05-18-2016, 09:36 PM
First rule about collecting is to collect what you like and not about investing. This way you aren't disappointed if the item can't be sold at a profit. You will probably enjoy your collection more rather than worrying if it will appreciate in value. I have over 130 game jerseys in my collection and I would be lucky to break even if I decided to sell them. On the flip side I enjoy collecting and displaying them.

+1 Well said!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

Masimen
05-18-2016, 11:22 PM
2nd rule of collecting is....Buy Vintage!!!!! Just kidding.....sort of. While you should of course be purchasing item you enjoy for sure, historically vintage values have steadily increased. The demand far outweighs the supply and they ain't making any more of it. While not being able to see the bat in question, 10k for a 60 Mays GU9 is a what I would consider a good buy.

Buccaneer Madden
05-19-2016, 12:05 AM
I will agree 100% with the buy what you like not what you think is or will be valuable BUT to answer your question with some players today changing equipment every game the vintage stuff is (in my opinion) always going to be a better buy. Yeah, their prices may have "settled" and may not have a HUGE upside but I would say for the most part unless something drastic happens to the player they probably won't go down either. And like Masimen said... there not making more.