PDA

View Full Version : Mike Trout items

DirtyT
05-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Hey guys, I'm new posting to this forum but have been reading here for quite awhile. Many of you seem to be extremely knowledgeable so I figured I would get some opinions on this.

I met a guy locally who is a big Mike Trout collector, and he's selling off some stuff. One of the items he has is one of (if not the) earliest game used bats from Trout, used in 2009 in the Arizona Fall League when Trout was just 17. The bat is authenticated and shows excellent use, graded 10 by PSA/DNA for game use. It was cracked on the handle but the crack was professionally repaired. Unfortunately, there is no photo match for this bat.

He also has the exact ball Trout hit for a triple in his 2013 Cycle game, in which Trout became the youngest player in AL history to hit for the cycle. This ball of course is authenticated by MLB.

If you guys had the chance to acquire one of these items, which one would you rather have? Which one of these items will be more sought after in the future?

I am seriously considering making a purchase for one of these pieces but I'm completely torn between which one I would rather have because both are so cool. I'm not exactly a GU expert, so I thought I'd get some outside opinions here. Thanks!

cjmezz
05-15-2016, 07:03 AM
Please email me at cjmessner@ibtinc.com
Thx

DirtyT
05-15-2016, 05:32 PM
Please email me at cjmessner@ibtinc.com
Thx

Email sent.

Would anyone else be able to help with this a bit? I've actually often wondered what other collectors preferred between game used bats and game used balls in general.

Would you rather have an extremely early game used bat that your favorite player used as a teenager, or a game used ball from a specific big event in their career?

jbean023
05-15-2016, 06:01 PM
If you buy the bat I'd be interested in the ball, if the seller is selling both.

Thanks

DirtyT
05-15-2016, 06:12 PM
Since both items are incredibly cool from a collecting standpoint and you can't go wrong with either one, which would serve as the better 'investment' for lack of a better term? Are bats or balls normally more sought after? Assuming the bat is not photo matched and the ball is.

Chess2899
05-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Definitely the bat especially if it is a "10". I am sure he will hit for the cycle again so the ball may lose value.

Besides, which one rings the money bell? Batman or Ballman?

carbonrosa
05-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Hey Dirty T, Please email me at carbonrosa@aol.com about the ball.
Thanks
Devin

05-16-2016, 03:49 AM
Although both items sound like great pieces, the bat would have more appeal to me generally and I think it would be a better investment long term. A high percentage of Trout hit baseballs must be getting authenticated since his debut, so the sheer quantity is likely going to make them more common.

I'm not sure how common or uncommon the Trout bats are from 2009 in Arizona, although they must be fairly obscure since he wasn't there for long. However, I have two of them from 2009 that I acquired just after that season concluded so know that there isn't just a single example existing in the hobby.

Tom

slab0meat
05-16-2016, 10:35 AM
To piggyback on this, if anyone doesn't mind offering up opinions..

I'm pretty much a jersey-only guy, but for south Jersey native like Trout, I might try something else, since I will never be able to afford one of his jerseys. What do things like used cleats, gloves, or a helmet usually go for?

helf35
05-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Is the ball authenticated to an actual hit or is it a foul/pitch in the dirt? From my experience some people are off pudding on minor league bats and some do not like repairs. If the ball is authenticated to one of the single/double/triple/HR I would say the ball. If it's just a ball used in an @ bat I would say go after the bat. Also is there a large difference in $ or they about the same. I would also factor that into your decision. Personally I would rather have an MLB bat.