PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Houston Astros sleeve patches

TNTtoys
02-02-2007, 04:50 PM
All,

I have seen 86 Astros jerseys come with one of two patches -- the 86 All Star Game patch and the Silver Anniversary patch. Examples of both are below. Mitchell and Ness even went as far as manufacture the 86 Nolan Ryan jersey with one patch and then switch to the other for the next production line. Does anyone know when each were worn during the 86 season? This is about the only occurrence I could remember where a team wore 2 different full size sleeve patches at different times during the same season.

Thanks
Nick

sarahsdad
02-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I believe the Astros wore the All Star game patch on home uni's and the 25th anniversary patch on road uni's. Hope this helps.
Sarahsdad

TNTtoys
02-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I believe the Astros wore the All Star game patch on home uni's and the 25th anniversary patch on road uni's. Hope this helps.
Sarahsdad

Hmm... would make sense by the photos I provided. The M&N 86 home white that I own has the 25th anniversary patch. Could this be an error?

eGameUsed
02-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Nick,

Here is a breakdown of 1986 Astros jerseys from my database. One day this info will all be on my website. Basically the All-Star patch was worn only on Home Jerseys prior to All-Star game. The Silver Anniversary 1962-1985 patch was worn on Road jerseys all season and Home jerseys post All-Star game. I also have some notes on how stitching of the patch should be:

1986 Home "Full Rainbow"

Made by Goodman & Sons
Front Astros logo sewn on
1986 All-Star Patch worn prior to All-Star Game, switched to 25th Anniversary Patch post All-Star Game
Beware Stitching on patch (Should be straight white)
NOTE: Patch should be soft and bent at sleeve. Beware aftermark patches added to 1980s Goodman & Sons jerseys. 1986 All-Star patch is one of rarest in original condition.1986 Home White "Rainbow Shoulders"

Made by Goodman & Sons
Front Astros logo sewn on
1986 All-Star Patch worn prior to All-Star Game, switched to 25th Anniversary Patch post All-Star Game1986 Road Cream "Rainbow Shoulders"

Made by Goodman & Sons (Pre-All-Star Game)
Made by Rawlings (Post-All-Star Game, tagged "Set 2, 1986" on inside)
Wore 25th Anniversary Patch Entire Season (No evidence of photo style match showing any road jerseys with 1986 All-Star Patch)
Beware Stitching on patch of Rawlings Jersey (Should be Zig-Zag Blue and White) and Goodman & Sons (Should be Zig-Zag White only)
NOTE: I have seen many 1980s Astros Goodman jerseys with added 25th Anniversary Patches)If anyone needs photos of any of the above notes or styles, let me know!

Thanks,

TNTtoys
02-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the info, it was a great summary. I have done similar research with Mets jerseys if you should ever need the favor returned...

Nick