PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Basketball Jersey on ebay

jdr3
12-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Seller claims it was worn by Darrel Griffith in the late 70s. Louisville did not start wearing the style shown in the photos until the 82-83 season, 2 years after Griffith left. It may be game worn, but not by Griffith. Bidding is already up to $250 with 4 days left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1970s-Louisville-Basketball-Game-Used-Jersey-Griffith_W0QQitemZ8741109544QQcategoryZ50118QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

Yankwood
12-24-2005, 08:34 AM
I just googled some pics of the great Dr. Dunkenstein and the jersey style in the Championship of 1980 looks the same, although it is white, but the style looks the same. Please advise me (us) of the differences as I do not possess a keen eye for this sort of thing. Thanks.

jdr3
12-24-2005, 10:38 AM
While the jerseys are similar in style, there are subtle differences. Attached is a photo of DG from the 1980 season. Look how the numerals are squared off, as opposed to the jersey on ebay, and the 5 on DGs jersey makes a little arrow, for lack of a better term. Also attached is a photo of Louisville in the 1982 final four. The same font for the numeral 5 is used, and you can see how it is still squared off and has the little arrow. The jersey on ebay is the style UL used the next season. If espn classic shows their final four game against Houston it is easy to tell. Hope this helps. I think it's a nice UL gamer, just not from Griffith's era.

both-teams-played-hard
12-24-2005, 11:14 AM
The ebay jersey has white numerals with black trim...the game photos have black with white trim. The "5" with the "point" or "diamond five" was primarily used by Powers Mfg. in the 70s and 80s. I am unsure of Louisville's jersey practices during the Griffith era...