PDA

View Full Version : Suggested changes in authentication and sales

coxfan
04-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Here are some suggestion on ways to improve services for game-used collectors. I'd enjoy hearing others' suggestions as well.

1 All mlb teams should authenticate balls for their specific use in a game. Last I heard, the Red Sox and Yankees were still just giving balls as used in a certain game, without specifics, except in occasional cases.

2 Clerks in team stores selling game-used items should be given 30 minutes of orientation to the basics. I have several times found clerks who assured me they had no items of a certain year, etc., only to have me readily spot such items. Or tell me all items on the shelf were from Selig's last year, when I could see Manfred's signature, not Selig's, on the balls. Or clearks were clueless how to look up an authentication number on their store computer, when the customer had a question. Simple orientation would not take long.

Other suggestions?

lakeerie92
04-19-2016, 04:53 PM
The Cubs mostly only authenticate to the game too. It just depends on the team and preference. Not all have authenticators sitting in a position to see the game and when that happens they can't exactly see the pitch. Each team controls their game used program so it is a case to case basis. It is hard to have employees that know a lot about the program. It takes more than 30 minutes of orientation for most and the people that take the game day staff positions are relatively new to the work force because it isn't high paying. Paying more really cuts into profits which in terms of an MLB really aren't that high. I am sure starting out some MLB teams have a tough time breaking even. I trained my staff all the time while standing around and I felt confident they could help people without me around, but that was pride in my program and it reflecting me. The crew in there this year doesn't know much of anything so I have already been stopped in the stadium by former customers that complain to me. It is all team by team and what they want and then the pride and emphasis that the program managers put on it.

memorabiliaunlimited
04-19-2016, 05:56 PM
all jerseys should have a covert mark that is recorded, or a bar code that is scanned, before and after every game so that the entire history of the jersey is documented as opposed to only the game it is pulled. this would increase the desirability and value of each jersey. also, then teams are not stuck with a ton of "issued" jerseys at the end of the year because the jersey was already authenticated in all of the prior games it was used.

also, each team should be required to have an authenticator present in the dugout for each game. i believe some teams dont allow an authenticator in their dugout.

coxfan
04-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Excellent comments! Regarding the general issue of poorly-informed staff, my own managerial experience suggests that managers who're able and willing to maintain frequent, constructive, two-way communication with staff of all levels are the best managers. Such a manager is not only better informed himself, but is best able to facilitate info-flow on a regular basis across the different sections of the operation. In a small operation like a team store ( fewer staff than the 140 or so I've managed at a time) a well- informed, communicating manager can overcome a lot of issues that training doesn't fully cure.

Regarding specific authentication, the authenticators are volunteers. I noticed that the Rangers' dugout authenticators regularly double-checked their perceptions with the ball boys. That helps explain why I've found good quality in the accuracy of their authentications ( as measured by few obvious errors.) Specific authentication gives so much more information. I've bought balls with significant specific uses. ( EG the pitch that hit Joe Mauer, starting a well-publicized rhubarb. A significant sac bunt at a crucial point in an ALDS game. Many other examples.) It's well worth the extra trouble to authenticate specifically, using volunteers.

sportsnbikes
04-20-2016, 09:35 AM
Excellent comments! Regarding the general issue of poorly-informed staff, my own managerial experience suggests that managers who're able and willing to maintain frequent, constructive, two-way communication with staff of all levels are the best managers. Such a manager is not only better informed himself, but is best able to facilitate info-flow on a regular basis across the different sections of the operation. In a small operation like a team store ( fewer staff than the 140 or so I've managed at a time) a well- informed, communicating manager can overcome a lot of issues that training doesn't fully cure.

Regarding specific authentication, the authenticators are volunteers. I noticed that the Rangers' dugout authenticators regularly double-checked their perceptions with the ball boys. That helps explain why I've found good quality in the accuracy of their authentications ( as measured by few obvious errors.) Specific authentication gives so much more information. I've bought balls with significant specific uses. ( EG the pitch that hit Joe Mauer, starting a well-publicized rhubarb. A significant sac bunt at a crucial point in an ALDS game. Many other examples.) It's well worth the extra trouble to authenticate specifically, using volunteers.

Are you sure that they are volunteers? The way I understand it, only cops or former cops are hired as authenticators. I do not believe they do it for free. I spend quite a bit of time at Kauffman and have even ran into the authenticator on an off-day. He was working. I do not believe they do it for free.

lakeerie92
04-20-2016, 10:28 AM

I can tell you that authenticators are payed. They are selected by MLB an work in law enforcement or retired law enforcement. I worked with the authenticators during my time with the Padres and the quality of what we received and the authentication improved significantly. It was really a pleasure to work with them and many forum members have bought well authenticated items from us during that time. It was a really great experience and the prize of my collection was one of the benefits or working with them and I enclosed a picture of it.

As far as your comments on the managers I think part of the problem is some of the managers don't really know game used memorabilia that well. I have seen some people in the industry that have no idea what it is and don't really care and this is just another rung they climb on the corporate ladder. I think those people are the exception and most do a really good job, but it is really a case to case basis on each team.

sorklora
04-20-2016, 02:19 PM
I can tell you that authenticators are payed. They are selected by MLB an work in law enforcement or retired law enforcement. I worked with the authenticators during my time with the Padres and the quality of what we received and the authentication improved significantly. It was really a pleasure to work with them and many forum members have bought well authenticated items from us during that time. It was a really great experience and the prize of my collection was one of the benefits or working with them and I enclosed a picture of it.

As far as your comments on the managers I think part of the problem is some of the managers don't really know game used memorabilia that well. I have seen some people in the industry that have no idea what it is and don't really care and this is just another rung they climb on the corporate ladder. I think those people are the exception and most do a really good job, but it is really a case to case basis on each team.

That's awesome, Russell! You will forever be etched in MLB authentication history...haha

lengthwise1
04-20-2016, 06:25 PM
I just found out a co-workers father in law is an authenticator in Seattle. He was a school principal for years, then worked for the team in a security type role near the players. At one point he was approached and was asked if he wanted the gig.

This was the first I've heard of someone not previously in law enforcement as others have said.

coxfan
04-26-2016, 08:38 AM
Teams vary from one extreme to the other. Does anyone know how the Braves and Rangers are dling their in-stadium game-used sales this year?

lakeerie92
04-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Teams vary from one extreme to the other. Does anyone know how the Braves and Rangers are dling their in-stadium game-used sales this year?

Rangers are still with Fanatics and the Braves are the same as they have always been with the exception that Lisa moved on to another position within the organization so the gameusedstore@braves.com is the better email address right now.

sorklora
04-27-2016, 12:06 AM
I agree some basic training woukd be beneficial. I had a clerk in the Rangers team store tell me they had a Beltre home run ball and it was ridiculously low. I ran the MLB hologram and jt came back to some other random Ranger and was a pitch in the dirt. If he had known how to do this, he wouldn't have had it mislabeled. Had my hopes up for a minute there, haha!

coxfan
04-27-2016, 11:33 AM
The Rangers developed a much improved system last year. A knowledgeable guy, with some in-game contact with the authenticator, had a booth in the concourse. Unlike the grand slam store during games, one could easily see and examine the items. He also had knowledgeable help staff when busy. I hope they continue that this year.

grandeleague
04-27-2016, 09:30 PM
Rangers are still with Fanatics and the Braves are the same as they have always been with the exception that Lisa moved on to another position within the organization so the gameusedstore@braves.com is the better email address right now.

Its too bad Lisa has moved on. IMO the folks at the helm currently dont stack up to Lisa. My favorite braves sales tactic at the moment is when they send out an email and say in the fine print that due to the big demand for such and such item, you have to be all paid up within 2 hours or the next in line gets it. Lol. What a joke. The braves are running a museum with alot of their jacked up (literally) prices. Lisa would at least negotiate. Alyse, who appears to be sending out the braves sales email doesnt seem real keen to negotiate. It will be interesting to see if prices are more sensible down the road given the train wreck the 2016 braves team is. With 2016 being the last year at turner field, i bet the mass produced braves game used "memorabilia" jerseys will continue unabated.

coxfan
04-28-2016, 09:16 AM
I just contacted Alyse at gameusedstore@braves.com, thanks to the address helpfully provided on this thread. Alyse was prompt and very helpful with me, providing specific info including ball history, fixed and reasonable prices, and no admonitions except the reasonable "our inventory changes daily" as it of course does.

I was ordering balls, so things may differ with other kinds of items. Most staff working within a large bureaucracy have no power to negotiate.