PDA

View Full Version : Piazza comments on September 11th jersey

mbenga28
04-05-2016, 02:35 PM
http://nypost.com/2016/04/05/mike-piazza-just-cant-believe-mets-sold-his-famed-911-jersey/

When Mike Piazza hit that historic home run after 9/11, it lifted up a city in tears.

The Mets game jersey Piazza wore that September night is being sold to the highest bidder in an online auction that began Monday, and Piazza is terribly pained by it all.

“I’m very disappointed with the situation regarding my game jersey from September 21st, 2001,’’ Piazza told The Post on Tuesday, his first comments regarding the iconic jersey.

“I’ve expressed my feelings to Jeff (Wilpon) and the Mets. And while it never should have left Citi Field, they have assured me that contact with the seller has been made and they are making a concerted effort to get the jersey back. I’m hopeful that an agreement can be reached and we can give back to the fans and all New Yorkers a piece of that evening that was more than just a game.’’

This is a jersey the Mets never should have sold in the first place. This is a relic, it is not simply a baseball jersey. The Mets sold it three years ago as part of a private sale.

The buyer allowed the Mets to show it on loan in their museum at Citi Field. But now, with Piazza entering the National Baseball Hall of Fame in July, the jersey could become the highest-selling jersey in Mets history and could wind up anywhere and perhaps become the highest-selling modern-day jersey of all time.

For their part, the Mets acknowledged a mistake was made, with a Mets spokesperson offering this statement to The Post on Tuesday:

“We made a mistake in selling the jersey and Jeff called Mike to express our regret in so doing,’’ the spokesperson said. “We have dedicated a section in the Mets Hall of Fame and Museum to celebrate Mike’s achievements and his induction into the National Baseball Hall of Fame and are exploring memorabilia to display in that area.

“We can’t verify the item being auctioned, but can confirm that our memorabilia group sold a jersey that meets this description, which was not authenticated with respect to game use.’’

There was no mention of the Mets trying to buy back the jersey.

Piazza believes this is a jersey that belongs to the people.

Goldin Auctions announced last week that the autographed jersey would be sold to the highest bidder. The bidding is currently at $42,000. The auction carries through until April 30 with a live event. In 2008, a 1970 Nolan Ryan jersey sold for $53,758, the highest price ever for a Mets jersey. Kirk Gibson’s Dodgers jersey from his 1988 World Series home run sold for $303,000 and Ken Goldin, president of Goldin Auctions, believes this Piazza jersey may top that record price.
Modal TriggerMike Piazza is greeted by Robin Ventura after his home run.Photo: AP
Goldin said he would love to see the buyer give it to the 9/11 Memorial Museum or the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown as a “charitable’’ contribution.

Piazza did not speak until now because he did not want to take away from the Mets Opening Night on Sunday.

“I want the team to be the star,’’ he said of the 2016 Mets.

Piazza said he appreciated “all the members of the media bringing this to attention as well,’’ mentioning WFAN’s Boomer and Carton.

In January, after being elected to the Hall of Fame, Piazza spoke of 9/11 and of the emotional home run in the first professional game played in New York after the terrorists attacks.

“It’s something that changed all of our lives,’’ he said of that terrible day, in a voice filled with emotion. “At a personal level for me, it really put my life in perspective and focused what the important things in life are, and that’s family and friends and relationships.

“For me to be at the right place and the right time and to come through, I can only think it comes from above and a lot of people put wind under my wings,’’ Piazza said of his two-run, eighth-inning home run against the Braves that lifted the Mets to a 3-2 victory.

The 41,235 fans at Shea Stadium gave him a standing ovation and chanted “USA! USA!’’ as many waved American flags.

“It’s uncomfortable, at times, when people put me as, for lack of a better word, a hero,’’ Piazza said.

“I am not a hero. The people that went to work that day were heroes. The people who tried to save them were heroes and the families that had to move on without a mother or a father or a sister or brother or an uncle are heroes.’ ’’

Piazza never had ownership of the No. 31 jersey with the American flags and 9-11-01.

That jersey represents the human spirit fighting back in the toughest of times. Piazza’s greatest hope is the jersey can be placed in the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown so it can be seen by the fans and also spend time in the 9/11 Memorial Museum.

This is an iconic jersey, right up there with the most important Mets memorabilia of all time. It never should have left Citi Field.

The Mets need to salvage the situation and get the jersey back, not for themselves, but for the people.

STLHAMMER32
04-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Well, I'd like to readjust my estimate on what this jersey will sell for....it's headed to the moon with publicity like this

KGoldin
04-05-2016, 04:03 PM
I ACTUALLY TOOK OFFENSE TO THE METS STATEMENT
I have emailed the following to the writer of the POST, and contacted the METS. It looks like the Mets are trying to downplay it because Piazza is pissed at them.

The Mike Piazza 9/11 jersey worn 9/21/2001 when he hit the historic home run (lot 23 in our auction) was sold to our consignor as the jersey he wore on 9/21/2001. It comes with a letter of authenticity from the NY Mets, it comes with a Photo Matched Letter of Authenticity from MeiGray , It comes with the display plaque when it hung in the Mets Museum that states “In this jersey Mike Piazza hit the game winning home run on 9/21/2001”.

In addition, I have the receipt from my consignor, and all his correspondence with the Mets including the document where he loaned the “9/21/2001 Mike Piazza jersey” to the Mets Hall of Fame and Museum.” As well as numerous emails and discussions between my consignor and the Mets about the jersey. In addition I have spoken to the Mets about the jersey. The New York Mets are well aware that lot 23 in Goldin Auctions current auction is the jersey worn by Mike Piazza on 9/21/2001.

KGoldin
04-05-2016, 04:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15141490/mike-piazza-upset-new-york-mets-9-11-jersey-auctioned

metsbats
04-05-2016, 04:56 PM
This would be the best ending to this story.

Mike Piazza bids and wins the jersey and donates it to Cooperstown in July.

ChrisCavalier
04-05-2016, 05:00 PM
This would be the best ending to this story.

Mike Piazza bids and wins the jersey and donates it to Cooperstown in July.Personally, I think the best ending would be for Piazza to win the jersey and give it to my son as a graduation gift.

However, the scenario you outlined isn't bad either ;)

Jim65
04-05-2016, 06:51 PM
I'm a lifelong Mets fan but since Jeffie took over, they are the most classless organization in baseball. That they would the jersey in the first place just proves it. I hope they are serious about buying it back and not jerking everyones chain because of the bad publicity.

Swoboda4
04-09-2016, 12:01 AM
I'm trying to find the photomatch (not photomatch type) for this Piazza 9/11 jersey. Like we would do for any jersey. I don't see it and I guess I'm not looking in the right spot. The analysis where the jerseys photos are compared with the jersey image / photos from the game. Anyone have this?

metsbats
04-09-2016, 12:25 AM
The American flag over the mlb patch and the piping line up with the jersey in the photo. Additionally the top of the M in Mets on the front where the piping connects is a match. Sure there are more but I m too tired to look for anymore.

KGoldin
04-09-2016, 07:44 AM
Miegray did the photo match
Go online to the link and blow up their cert and you will see the match along with the Getty image
https://www.goldinauctions.com/2001_Mike_Piazza_Historic_Post_9_11_Home_Run_Game_-LOT22289.aspx

As an aside
Contrary to reports on the papers, I never spoke to Vince piazza, although I did leave two messages and sent an email.

metsbats
04-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Here's a close up of the Flag patch.

Since the flag patch were hand sewn almost every jersey will have the flags lined up differently.

I included two examples of other 911 jerseys for reference.

metsbats
04-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Here's some matches to the front of the jersey.

Swoboda4
04-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Real quick. Standard placement doesn't make me comfortable. The pointed end of the "P" closest to the "I" is good. And the bottom of the "I", this makes me comfortable.

KGoldin
04-09-2016, 01:45 PM
Real quick. Standard placement doesn't make me comfortable. The pointed end of the "P" closest to the "I" is good. And the bottom of the "I", this makes me comfortable.
Can you email me that pic
Ken@goldinauctions.com
Awesome match to add to listing
I should hire you
Thanks
Ken

Swoboda4
04-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Yea,no problem.

Swoboda4
04-09-2016, 02:06 PM
I found another "micro-match" which I'll post and send.-Robert

lakeerie92
04-09-2016, 02:29 PM
Here are a couple more. This jersey isn't a tough photo match with that close up picture of his back. I don't think there is any question of it's authenticity outside of the Mets trying to muddy the water and potentially drive the price down to encourage the jersey to come back to them one way or another.

lakeerie92
04-09-2016, 02:32 PM
You are even able to match the pattern on the letters such as the "I" being a downward point, and really even count the number and placement of the chevrons up and down the letters. I would be willing to bet this is all unique as to where the letters were cut from on the material.

Swoboda4
04-09-2016, 02:46 PM
Lakeerie92, you are correct, like a fingerprint:

Swoboda4
04-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Great minds think alike. That settles that, it's real. Forensic lab is now closed

camarokids
04-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Great minds think alike. That settles that, it's real. Forensic lab is now closed

Amazing work!!!

metsbats
04-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Robert, You have a knack for these micro matching! Great job! I may have a few jerseys you can help me with:)

Swoboda4
04-09-2016, 05:09 PM
You're not too bad yourself there David. thanks

lakeerie92
04-09-2016, 07:15 PM
I hope I didn't undermine how good Robert's matches were by saying it wasn't a tough match, I was more surprised by the Mets inability to credit the jersey as what it is. Robert's work is really well done.

Swoboda4
04-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Russell, you're correct; it wasn't that difficult. And three heads are better than one. In fairness to others not as obsessed as we are- we did sort of pull out the microscopes. Your view that the blue chevron pattern (on the nameplate) is correct, and it's unique to every cutting. Like a fingerprint. But you need good photos on both ends to see. Just seeing patches on standard locations shouldn't make collectors comfortable, because it could be duplicated moments later on the same machine. Just saying it matches doesn't do it for me. But our observations were unique to the markings on the jersey. Seeing is believing.
For what's being asked of this jersey, things should be understood to be airtight. Now it's more certain.

By the way,what's our percentage if the jersey moves up 33% (or higher)more than the bid before we posted?

metsbats
04-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Here a micro match from the front.

Swoboda4
04-10-2016, 05:22 AM
Excellent Micro-Match (Pat. Pending) from the front David.

Swoboda4
04-10-2016, 05:26 AM
What do ya think David, 1% divided three ways is fair?

Swoboda4
04-10-2016, 08:38 AM
I see more but..

metsbats
04-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Here's a micro-match on the Rawlings logo

Swoboda4
04-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Excellent. Most excellent. Micro-Match (grade 9.98)

Swoboda4
04-10-2016, 01:28 PM
What a bunch a Nerds we are. I accept my Nerdness however. By the way, I think you can also match where the stitch begins on the Mets round shoulder patch; at around the "7 o'clock" area.

Jim65
04-10-2016, 06:06 PM
awesome work, guys.

metsbats
04-10-2016, 09:41 PM
What a bunch a Nerds we are. I accept my Nerdness however. By the way, I think you can also match where the stitch begins on the Mets round shoulder patch; at around the "7 o'clock" area.

You mean this one?

cfern023
04-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Here are a couple more. This jersey isn't a tough photo match with that close up picture of his back. I don't think there is any question of it's authenticity outside of the Mets trying to muddy the water and potentially drive the price down to encourage the jersey to come back to them one way or another.

I'm a little late to the party, but can someone point me to where the Back of Piazza with the NYPD is listed so I can see the date. I don't believe its from that night for some reason.

I vaguely remember it being from a day or two after and the reason why I didn't print it a few years ago for an autograph signing though steiner sports.

AND--- done with reading the thread and jesus you guys have good eyes.