PDA

View Full Version : Authenticity of older GU baseballs

markyanis@gmail.com
04-04-2016, 11:53 PM
I was high bidder for a Cal Ripken Jr HR ball from his rookie year on Mears. The ball was inscribed by the pitcher and signed by Ripken with his holo, and it comes with a Mears LOA.

As much as I'd like to believe this was the actual HR ball, I'm a little skeptical about it, and feel that way the authenticity of a lot of older GU balls I see. At $360 for a purported Ripken HR ball, I figure the skepticism of others is reflected in the price.

For those of you who collect older GU baseballs, what do you look for to feel comfortable that the ball is authentic? Any opinions on the authenticity of the Cal Jr ball? https://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=97786

Thanks for any comments.

allstarsplus
04-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Those are always tough unless there is extra documentation with it. We used to see Cal Ripken 2001 game used MLB holo'd balls and they had no description and Cal might have inscribed it at a signing if we asked.

Good luck!

danesei@yahoo.com
04-10-2016, 12:58 AM
I would submit it to JSA for authentication of the Caldwell inscription. Since it came with a JSA auction LOA, you get a discount on the multi-player authentication, I think. Also, I think you might be able to get MEARS to issue a real LOA if you pay them $25 more (at least that's my understanding of how their upgrade service works).

All said, however, it goes back to trusting Caldwell's word and having some understanding of how Caldwell would have ended up in possession of the ball. Another thing I wonder about is the location: The game was played at Memorial Stadium (Baltimore) not County Stadium (Milwaukee).

The fact that the location is incorrect actually goes quite a long way in creating doubt regarding the item's authenticity. I could see the Brewers field crew retrieving a ball for Caldwell, if it landed in HR territory but not in possession of a fan, but that seems far less likely to occur in Baltimore.

Baltimore seems like they'd sooner return the ball to Ripken than to Caldwell.

As for Ripken's hologram, all that means is Ripken signed the ball, right? It seems possible to me that the ball was signed by Ripken and the inscription w/ Caldwell's signature were added at a later time.

Another thing to consider is the baseball itself. How many dots are under the Haiti mark under Rawlings? Can you post a photo if you have the ball in hand?

sox83cubs84
04-10-2016, 08:24 PM
I would submit it to JSA for authentication of the Caldwell inscription. Since it came with a JSA auction LOA, you get a discount on the multi-player authentication, I think. Also, I think you might be able to get MEARS to issue a real LOA if you pay them $25 more (at least that's my understanding of how their upgrade service works).

All said, however, it goes back to trusting Caldwell's word and having some understanding of how Caldwell would have ended up in possession of the ball. Another thing I wonder about is the location: The game was played at Memorial Stadium (Baltimore) not County Stadium (Milwaukee).

The fact that the location is incorrect actually goes quite a long way in creating doubt regarding the item's authenticity. I could see the Brewers field crew retrieving a ball for Caldwell, if it landed in HR territory but not in possession of a fan, but that seems far less likely to occur in Baltimore.

Baltimore seems like they'd sooner return the ball to Ripken than to Caldwell.

As for Ripken's hologram, all that means is Ripken signed the ball, right? It seems possible to me that the ball was signed by Ripken and the inscription w/ Caldwell's signature were added at a later time.

Another thing to consider is the baseball itself. How many dots are under the Haiti mark under Rawlings? Can you post a photo if you have the ball in hand?

It was, indeed, a game in Baltimore...second game of an Orioles DH sweep of the Brewers. Caldwell started, gave up the HR to Cal Jr. with one man on in the 7th, and the O's won 7-1. The other information is correct, but the location is wrong...it was in Memorial Stadium, not County Stadium.

Dave Miedema

danesei@yahoo.com
04-12-2016, 09:00 PM
It was, indeed, a game in Baltimore...second game of an Orioles DH sweep of the Brewers. Caldwell started, gave up the HR to Cal Jr. with one man on in the 7th, and the O's won 7-1. The other information is correct, but the location is wrong...it was in Memorial Stadium, not County Stadium.

Dave Miedema

Right, but that doesn't explain how Caldwell would have ended up with the ball in an opponent's stadium. Also, if a fan caught it, why have Caldwell do the inscription instead of Ripken?

If the ball didn't originate from Caldwell, it really feels like Caldwell signed the ball after Ripken and was told what to write. Again, it makes little sense that the location would be wrong if the ball was signed at the game.

markyanis@gmail.com
04-13-2016, 07:54 PM
Thanks for these informative responses. I attached a photo of the ball showing three dots under Haiti.

You bring up some good points, and the Mears LOA just says they believe it's genuine. But with the discrepancies you're raising, is there really enough there for a reputable company like Mears to say it's genuine?

As far as the Caldwell inscription, don't some athletes at paid signings take the fan's word and inscribe whatever they want?

Thanks for any further comments.