PDA

View Full Version : What did I buy? Mariners jersey.

Tunis
04-02-2016, 10:28 PM
I bought a Cool Base jersey, gray, 2008, of Jose Lopez. It is MLB authenticated as Game Issued. I was hoping I could possibly photo match it but it appears that this type of jersey was never used during the season. Were these jerseys Spring Training jerseys? Didn't pay much for it, so I am happy either way. Thanks for you help in advance.

Dhesketh
04-03-2016, 04:15 AM
Issued usually means he probably never wore it. And I think so.

ndevlin
04-03-2016, 09:29 AM
It could mean both. Seattle was(maybe they still are) notorious for putting game issued stickers on their game worn. Atlanta is another one.

I know I have several jerseys labeled as game issued and show heavy signs of use. So just because they were labeled "issued", doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't worn.

For your jersey, does it have any signs of use at all? Loose threads? Inside wash tag faded, etc? Those would be good signs of use. If it looks super clean and still has the inspection sticker on the wash tag, it's probably just game issued.

Tunis
04-03-2016, 09:55 AM
Thanks to everyone's replies. The jersey shows pretty good use, pulled threads, worn wash tag, one small stain, etc. Searching through Getty, I haven't found that type of jersey worn during the season. It has the underarm cutouts(venting). It makes me think it was a pre-game warm up shirt or a Spring Training shirt?

Phil316
04-03-2016, 05:53 PM
If you check June 23, 2008 at Shea Stadium against the Mets Lopez is wearing a coolbase. The vents you mention are visible.

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Jose+Lopez/Seattle+Mariners+v+New+York+Mets/80LiyX4y9wN

Tunis
04-03-2016, 08:30 PM
That is exactly what I have as far as a style match. It looks like I need to dig a little bit deeper to find all the away games, then see what jersey was worn, and then look for a photo match. Thanks for showing me it is possibly a In Season-Game used shirt.

Phil316
04-03-2016, 11:47 PM
Is this a jersey you are going to keep ? or sell ?

Tunis
04-04-2016, 07:01 AM
Keep. Unofficially, I am the #1 Jose Lopez fan and I am always an active buyer.

Phil316
04-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Well that is very cool. I watched him play when i had seasons tickets for the Mariners. Those few years there he was a beast.

What is your favorite item from your Lopez collection ?

Tunis
04-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Wow, that would be hard to define.
I have a few that I really like:
I have many bats that are MLB authenticated.
I have a HR ball that is MLB authenticated from when he played for the Indians
I have a minor league jersey from when he played for the SA Missions.
Wish list:
Ankle protector- He always wore this, whether he wore his pants high or down by his shoes
Fielders glove
Batting glove
Marlins jersey
One of his Japanese jerseys