PDA

View Full Version : COVERT MARKED GU Jersey help

David Murphy collector
03-14-2016, 09:23 PM
Hey guys,

I recently acquired a D Murphy used BP jersey. It's authenticated as "covert marked". I've heard of and seen black light markings on balls but how do they covertly mark jerseys such as this? I'm currently black lighting all of my signed and GU baseballs and I've searched every square inch of this jersey and haven't found a thing. Any suggestions oh how it's marked and where/how to find it? Thanks in advance!

lakeerie92
03-14-2016, 11:21 PM
You can't see covert marking with a black light. The baseballs you look at are done with that stamp to identify who made it from the factory. Covert marking from the authenticators isn't the same thing at all.

When an authenticator covert marks an item it isn't a set location. Each one can be different in terms of the location and the type of mark. When they do this they have to send the information to MLB so that if need be they can forward the information to any other authenticator and it can be verified. They use a special laser that does show the light until it runs across the covert mark. So you shine it on the jersey and you won't see anything until it comes across the marker spot that shows the covert marking. It is a very expensive item the MLB uses to limit the possible number of fakes.

I hope that answers your questions.

David Murphy collector
03-15-2016, 10:11 AM
Thank tou so much for the info! Now if I only had one of those expensive lasers to locate it haha! Thanks again!

lengthwise1
03-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Cool info, thanks for the detail!

I know the covert marking is used on specialty jerseys like the camo ones that get used twice in a season over the span of months. It gets the covert mark after the first game and then the hologram after the final use.