PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken Jr. game used bat question

gameused
01-30-2007, 04:04 AM
Can anyone tell me if Cal Ripken Jr. taped the handle of his bats like this? Also in 1984 did Cal order 34 1/2 inch bats model P72?

Thanks, Bobby

Rboitano
01-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Ripkens records were available before they were pulled down with several others over a week ago.

bat_master
01-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Hi Bobby,

I'm curious to know if you inquired with the seller about the number on the knob. I also was interested in this bat until I saw that it didn't have Cal's #8.

Since it has an incorrect number on the knob I'm not sure that the records matter much. I seem to recall that the bat did match records, but was likely not used by Cal anyway.

Hope this helps.

mr.miracle
01-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Although Cal has been known to tape bat handles in the past, this is not the norm for him nor have I ever seen any type of tape pattern such as this on one of his bats. The taped bats of Cal's that I have seen either have a solid pattern of tape on the handle or tape criss-crossed on the handle sort of like an x pattern. I have never seen random pieces of tape in two places on the bat handle.

Since there are other questions related to the number on the bat etc. I will let that speak for itself in terms of whether you want to take a chance on this be an authentic Ripken gamer.

Thanks

mr.miracle
01-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Can anyone tell me if Cal Ripken Jr. taped the handle of his bats like this? Also in 1984 did Cal order 34 1/2 inch bats model P72?

Thanks, Bobby

Hello Bobby:

To answer the other part of your question, the rest of the bat in terms of model and weight etc. look okay. Cal did order primarily P72 as his bat of choice for the bulk of his career although you will find probably a dozen models ordered by him throughout his career. The P72 was his favorite model and the two-tone Walker finish P72 was ordered during this stage of his career although you would have to check specific ordering records to verify his exact # of this make and model ordered during the 84 season.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

metsbats
01-30-2007, 11:35 AM
This tape pattern is the type of pattern that Eddie Murray uses on this bats. Since Murray and Ripken were teammates how far fetched could it be that Eddie borrowed one of Cal's gamers.

What number is on the knob anyway?

Just a thought.

David

bat_master
01-30-2007, 11:39 AM
The knob has #35 on it.

By the way, I'm not the seller of the bat. I had originally requested photos of the bat from the seller and was fairly excited until I saw the #35 on the knob. It's a nice bat otherwise.

ripkengamers
01-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Personally I've never seen a Ripken bat with the tape configuration in the photos. I don't believe Cal ordered 34" bats in his career. At least based upon Mike's reply in a previous forum thread, according to factory records, he didn't order any 34" bats from 1986 and beyond!

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/statusicon/post_new.gif 06-17-2006, 01:16 PM
MSpecht (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=5) http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_13477", true);
GUF Administrator

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Cal Ripken 34" bats
During 1986-1989 labeling period, only 3 orders of P72 Riopken model bats are documented as being shipped in Ripken's personal factory records--all were shipped to Baseball Miscellaneous, and none had a two-toned (probably Walker) finish. The orders totaled only four bats.

During the 1991-1997 labeling period, no 34 inch bats of any model were sent to Ripken for professional use. All 34 inch bats of any model including P72 (in numerous finishes) were sent to promotional companies such as Baseball Express, Ike Company, Tufton Group, and a few others. The Orioles themselves ordered 84 Ripken 34 inch P72 bats (Black Finish) in 1995 for a promotional event.

Any suggested use of 34 inch bats from either of these two labeling periods is not supported by documented evidence in Ripken's H & B factory records.

Hope this helps...

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

mr.miracle
01-30-2007, 01:26 PM
The knob has #35 on it.

By the way, I'm not the seller of the bat. I had originally requested photos of the bat from the seller and was fairly excited until I saw the #35 on the knob. It's a nice bat otherwise.

Just an FYI, that uniform number 35 belonged to Orioles outfielder Gary Roenicke during the mid 80's, if that is the uniform number on the knob, perhaps someone can locate a picture of Roenicke using a bat with a tape pattern like the one displayed on this P72 Ripken bat. I am not personally familiar with how Roenicke prepared his bats for game use.

Additionally, I believe the 34.5 inch bat is classified as a 35 inch bat in Ripken's order records. I could be totally wrong, but I believe that Cal did order a number of bats shipped in the 34.5 inch length. In any case, it appears that this bat was not used by Cal at least not based on use characteristics.

Thanks

mr.miracle
01-30-2007, 01:27 PM
FYI, that was Roenicke's number from 1978 - 1985 during his career with Baltimore, uniform number 35.

Thanks

MSpecht
01-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi Bobby--

Here is a link to a post that is specific to Ripken Jr's use of P72 bats in 1984 --

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6590

Relative to Ripken Jr's use of tape, I have seen two photos from the mid-1980 time frame that show Ripken Jr using a taped bat, in a pattern as described in one of the above response posts, not as shown in the photo of the bat you provided. In a personal conversation with Ripken, a forum member was told that Cal used tape infrequently during his career, during a period(s) when the pine tar was substandard in quality. Tape is not a usual or common Ripken characteristic, but it is not completely unknown either.

Regarding Ripken's use of 34.5 inch bats, in a review of his H & B factory records between 10/30/78 and 6/26/01, there are just two documented orders of 34.5 inch bats having been shipped to him for his professional use (in any model)--- on 10/30/78 Model M110 Natural Finish - 2 bats, and on 6/19/90 Model S188C Black finish 12 bats. No other orders are documented in his personal shipping records. I do not personally believe that 34.5 inch bats are recorded in his records as 35 inch bats. It is clear from his ordering patterns throughout his career that 35 inch bats were overwhelmingly his preferred length. In my opinion, a 34.5 inch Cal Ripken Jr signature model professional H & B Model P72 bat is most likely a team ordered index bat that was used by someone other than Ripken.

In response to Robert's observation about the Ripken Player Bat Chart on this site, it was, in fact, temporarily removed from the Game Used Library section of GUU (along with a few others) in order to correct several errors that were found during the proofreading process. While the errors would possibly seem minor to some, the GUU standard is to provide the most complete, comprehensive, accurate information to GUU members as possible. To allow inaccurate information to remain on the site and possibly be distributed to members prior to correction is not an option.
The affected charts are close to completion and will be back in the reference section very soon.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

mr.miracle
01-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi Bobby--

Here is a link to a post that is specific to Ripken Jr's use of P72 bats in 1984 --

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6590

Relative to Ripken Jr's use of tape, I have seen two photos from the mid-1980 time frame that show Ripken Jr using a taped bat, in a pattern as described in one of the above response posts, not as shown in the photo of the bat you provided. In a personal conversation with Ripken, a forum member was told that Cal used tape infrequently during his career, during a period(s) when the pine tar was substandard in quality. Tape is not a usual or common Ripken characteristic, but it is not completely unknown either.

Regarding Ripken's use of 34.5 inch bats, in a review of his H & B factory records between 10/30/78 and 6/26/01, there are just two documented orders of 34.5 inch bats having been shipped to him for his professional use (in any model)--- on 10/30/78 Model M110 Natural Finish - 2 bats, and on 6/19/90 Model S188C Black finish 12 bats. No other orders are documented in his personal shipping records. I do not personally believe that 34.5 inch bats are recorded in his records as 35 inch bats. It is clear from his ordering patterns throughout his career that 35 inch bats were overwhelmingly his preferred length. In my opinion, a 34.5 inch Cal Ripken Jr signature model professional H & B Model P72 bat is most likely a team ordered index bat that was used by someone other than Ripken.

In response to Robert's observation about the Ripken Player Bat Chart on this site, it was, in fact, temporarily removed from the Game Used Library section of GUU (along with a few others) in order to correct several errors that were found during the proofreading process. While the errors would possibly seem minor to some, the GUU standard is to provide the most complete, comprehensive, accurate information to GUU members as possible. To allow inaccurate information to remain on the site and possibly be distributed to members prior to correction is not an option.
The affected charts are close to completion and will be back in the reference section very soon.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Hello Mike:

As always fantastic information. Thanks for your help. I knew that Cal had ordered some 34.5 bats in the past but did not have my order records handy that you had previously provided on the forum. I forgot that the 34.5 bats were very scarce and in fact were only ordered for his first professional order and midway through his career. This coupled with all the other factors mentioned leads us to conclude that this bat was not used by Cal Ripken.

Thanks

gameused
01-31-2007, 01:32 AM
To all the guys that commented on the bat thank you for your help!

I e-mailed the seller for a pic of the knob and here it is along with a letter from the original owner of the bat.

Looks as if he changed the number on the knob.

bat_master, can you post a pic of the number 35 that was originally on there?

Best Regards, Bobby

bat_master
01-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Hi Bobby,

Here is the original photo I received on January 11, 2007. I also received the other photos that have already been shown.

Looks like a case of outright fraud. Sad part is that he possibly could have still gotten his asking price for the bat even with the #35 on the knob. Now anyone that knows it has been doctored wouldn't (or shouldn't) touch it. I know I have absolutely no interest now.

Good thing I'm such a pack rat that I keep all bat photos that are sent to me for research.

ironmanfan
01-31-2007, 01:23 PM
the ironic thing is that I own a Gary Roenicke game used bat with the same "tape job." i'll try to post a picture later.

ironmanfan
01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
As mentioned earlier, attached are pictures of a Adirondack Gary Roenicke gamer with an identical tape job.

ironmanfan
01-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Not that it matters, but according to Retrosheet, Cal did not bat in the sixth inning of that contest vs. Kansas City (he flied out to end the fifth).

gameused
02-01-2007, 12:03 AM
I e-mailed the seller this morning and asked the following question:

The knob area where the number 8 is marked in black ink, it appears that another number was on there, appears to be a 3, was this how the bat was originally obtained or did someone change it?

Let me know and thanks for the photos!

Bobby

Heres his reply:

That's the way it came. I can't account for much more than that.

Chuck