PDA

View Full Version : Donating the the Baseball Hall of Fame

mr.miracle
01-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Has any forum member ever made a game used memorabilia donation to the HOF? If so, do all donations become permanent or are you allowed to loan items for a period of time for display? Do the people who donate receive anything in return for those donations? Does anyone know, as a general rule are most of the items obtained by the HOF done through the players themselves or via private donations? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

metsbats
01-29-2007, 05:59 PM
In 2003 after Gary Carter got elected I contacted the HOF to ask if they'd be interested in loan of 4 Carter milestone bats. They sent me some literature on donations. Donors get a lifetime pass to the HOF, their names on a plaque on the display case when they display the item, and also a tax receipt of the value of the item so the donor can take a tax write off. I only wanted to loan the bats to them and have see some items on display with a plaque which stated it was on loan.

David

staindsox
01-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Everything in the Hall is donated. They only artifact ever bought was the Doubelday ball for $5.00 (by the Clark family). MLB donates a ton, but I suspect most of the items come from collectors. There is more info on their website. There are many things they may not take because they have no need for it. You may want to contact them to see if they could use the donation. Hope this helps a little.

Chris

RobSteinmetz
01-30-2007, 09:04 AM
The HOF does take items on loan, although I'm not sure what their criteria are for accepting such items. I know of several pieces in the HOF that are displayed and still owned by private collectors.

metsbats
01-30-2007, 11:23 AM
That's correct Rob. The Hall reviewed the Carter bats I offered for loan at a review meeting I was told. This committee is in charge of deciding if an item is accepted for donation or loan. The reason the Hall declined on my offer for loan was that Gary Carter had brought them enough memoriabilia from his playing days to fill up the display already. Whether he donated or loaned I do not know.

David

metsbats
01-30-2007, 11:24 AM
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/collections/donations.htm

Here a link to the HOF donor page..

-David