PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth Game Used and Autographed Baseballs

buc
02-26-2016, 12:48 PM
I'd like to preface this discussion by stating that I would be happy to own either of the two baseballs I'm writing about, but can't afford either right now! My Son and I recently began collecting game used baseballs, primarily due to the posts on here about game used balls and the uniqueness of them being tied to a specific game. Goldin Auctions has two game used and autographed balls in their current auction, lots 17 and 28. We were discussing these two last night, and I stated I would prefer to have the one in lot 28, as it is single signed. My Son, however, pointed out that the one in lot 17 has been signed by Ruth and Williams, who both played in the game, as well as Mickey Mantle. I can't imagine there are too many balls out there signed by all three. Which would you prefer and why?

dougiedshow
02-27-2016, 07:26 PM
I know single signed sweet spot balls will always have more value. However, search for babe Ruth single signed balls and then search for balls signed from the war bond game. I'd much rather have the war bond ball. That's just me.

mntwins87
02-27-2016, 07:28 PM
I would prefer the single signed Ruth ball. Both balls would be great to own. But, a single signed Ruth ball is high on my list as well..

dougiedshow
02-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Also... Very cool that you share the hobby with your son. I can't wait until my boys are old enough!

buc
02-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Also... Very cool that you share the hobby with your son. I can't wait until my boys are old enough!

We just got back from a card show tonight! While the only thing we bought were some POP comic book figures for him, I'm hoping he will remember these days long after I'm gone!

volunteer
02-29-2016, 01:26 AM
I would go with the single signed. The quality is very poor on the other one and I would be afraid it would get worse over time.

buc
02-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'd still go with the single signed because it is just that, my Son still votes for the War Bond ball because of how unique it is...he gets his stubborn nature from his Mother. The Ruth on the single signed is darker, but both Ruth autographs look pretty strong. They are both over 70 years old, so I would not be concerned about the autographs fading...just have to take care of them the way they should. I have a 2008 Alex Rodriguez ball that looks worse because I had it on a shelf. At the end of the day, I'd be happy to own either...both pretty special items!