PDA

View Full Version : NFL Game Used Football Markings?

strongarm
02-20-2016, 06:09 AM
I'm looking for some help with this past years NFL game used football markings. The numbers written on a ball-- I'm guessing they correspond with the refs that game? Looks to be a different number in each corner of the football and then a number in the center of the ball.

Does anyone know? Please help. Thanks in advance. This could help me photo match a ball I recently acquired.

yanks12025
02-20-2016, 07:15 AM
The numbers on the ends of the ball do represent the referee number. While the number under the logo is marked 1-12 because teams can only use 12 footballs each game. I have one football that was used for 5 games.

PS. With game used footballs, beware of the eBay seller who always sells fakes.

Phil316
02-20-2016, 02:40 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=66508

Here is the link. We don't wanna assume all sellers sell fake footballs.

patsfan
02-21-2016, 01:52 AM
i'm curious as to how long have they been actually been marking them ? I have a couple purchased from nfl auctions that are official game issued with the team name on the ball and the bca ribbons but no markings. The laces certainly look dirty enough and stained to lead me to believe they may have been game used .Any one know when the practice of marking balls started ?

yanks12025
02-21-2016, 06:53 AM
Not 100% but I'm pretty sure referees have been marking footballs for a long time.

They're probably practice balls. Pretty sure they don't mark them.

punter96
02-25-2016, 01:18 PM
Been having a little fun with said seller - Listed a Jets GU ball that Favre 'supposedly' threw in a 6 TD game (item 331787314188) in 08. Our favorite seller bought it for $182.49 and has it listed at $750 OBO. I offered exactly what they paid and I got a response that my offer wasn't even close and not worthy of a counter. Amused, I responed back a dollar higher and stated that my offer was exactly what you paid for it with your other ID. Sadly my offer was declined with a statement that maybe I should go lower - so again being amused, I offered $75. Hasn't been declined yet, so maybe there is hope :)

Feel free to have fun....

The numbers on the ends of the ball do represent the referee number. While the number under the logo is marked 1-12 because teams can only use 12 footballs each game. I have one football that was used for 5 games.

PS. With game used footballs, beware of the eBay seller who always sells fakes.

patsfan
02-25-2016, 10:29 PM
i'm considering bidding on an item on ebay being sold by a seller who goes by name bigdawgpossessions does anyone here have any past dealings or opinions on the validity of his items ? any responses would be greatly appreciated and thanks .... Steve

patsfan
03-28-2016, 09:21 PM
I just got a patriots game used ball from nfl auctions and I now know refs never marked the balls in 2010 and I did photo matching and not one photo of any game ball had refs markings

tom1315
03-29-2016, 09:10 PM
i'm considering bidding on an item on ebay being sold by a seller who goes by name bigdawgpossessions does anyone here have any past dealings or opinions on the validity of his items ? any responses would be greatly appreciated and thanks .... Steve

I've bought primarily practice shorts from players/NFL teams he has had. I've had no issues and been pleased with my purchases.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

patsfan
03-29-2016, 10:21 PM
I've bought primarily practice shorts from players/NFL teams he has had. I've had no issues and been pleased with my purchases.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

thanks Tom

fen1kuk
04-01-2016, 12:19 AM
i'm curious as to how long have they been actually been marking them ? I have a couple purchased from nfl auctions that are official game issued with the team name on the ball and the bca ribbons but no markings. The laces certainly look dirty enough and stained to lead me to believe they may have been game used .Any one know when the practice of marking balls started ?

I have a couple of Chargers balls from a game in 2008 that have officials stamps.